• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC9 modification options

i've been doing some research on what type of modifications can be done to my ruger LC9, and was suprised what i found considering it is one of the newer model guns on the market. i just wanted to share what options i discovered and where to get them from:

1) Hammer & roll pin (Galloway Precision)
2) Early break trigger bar (Galloway Precision)
3) Stainless steel guide rod (Galloway Precision)
4) 18lb guide (recoil) spring (Galloway Precision)
5) LCI delete (Galloway Precision)
6) Magazine disconnect removal (gunsmith or DIY)
7) Adjustable reshaped aluminum trigger ([email protected] , gunsmith or DIY)
8) XS Night sights (local/internet dealers) or modify original sights with glowing paint pen:)
9) Polished barrel, feed ramp, receiver, and contact points (gunsmith or DIY)
10) Hogue Hand-All Jr grip (internet/local dealers)
11) Pearce grip extensions (local/internet dealers)

now, here are the respective links/videos numbered to match the above mods:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5) http://gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY

7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgKIwr02nOU

8) http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

9) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Gid8iR_1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZcX0nixbY

10) http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html

11) http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114&products_id=147

hopefully this helps someone, i tried to lay everything out clearly. these mods will improve the performance of your LC9, minimize feed jams, shorten trigger pull, reduce take-up & overtravel, improve cosmetics, improve grip feel, and provide night time sighting capabilities. cost doesn't seem too bad either. this would be one badass LC9!!! time to get to work....

P.S. let's not get into whether or not we should modify a firearm, it's not the point of this thread. IT IS INTEDENDED TO SUPPLY INFORMATION TO THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN MODIFYING THEIR RUGER LC9. if you do not agree with, or are not interested in, modifying firearms...don't bother reading or commenting, thanks.

Last edited:
This is actually pretty cool. Would be nice if they had a mod to get rid of the safety lever, too.

-Mike

the safety doesn't really bother me, i just leave it off....but yes it would change the aesthetics and functionality for sure, maybe i will suggest it to galloway when i order my parts from them.

cool post! thank you for compiling all that stuff in one place. maybe i'll develop a better relationship with my LC9 now.

i'd rep you but the forum has shut me off from too much thanking people in my support thread. someone throw some reps his way for me.

thanks guys!!! if anyone has any other ideas or mods i missed, please feel free to add...this is pretty much all i could find though, and i spent about 2-3 hours searching all this stuff. or should i say, i spent 4 hours trying to find ways to spend my tax return....haha!!

EDIT: of course, u can also get the crimson trace laser, which I figure everyone knows about. also, just got word from Ross @ RTK Holsters that his aluminum trigger WILL NOT WORK in conjuction with Galloways hammer & trigger bar, it's one or the other. both mods are made to improve trigger feel, break point, take-up & overtravel. he made his trigger because he was not happy with the Galloway install results.

Last edited:
Just finished polishing the barrel, receiver, & feed ramp. I think it looks much better already, but i am on the hunt for flitz cuz no stores seem to have any in my area. I'm gonna try Ace tomorrow, and hopefully i can get even more shine with a dremel buffing. The feed ramp feels smooth as can be now, which I love. So next will be the aluminum trigger and stainless guide rod.

f09d77f8.jpg

50c151f4.jpg

f7de095c.jpg

Just finished polishing the barrel, receiver, & feed ramp. I think it looks much better already, but i am on the hunt for flitz cuz no stores seem to have any in my area. I'm gonna try Ace tomorrow, and hopefully i can get even more shine with a dremel buffing. The feed ramp feels smooth as can be now, which I love. So next will be the aluminum trigger and stainless guide rod.

f09d77f8.jpg

50c151f4.jpg

f7de095c.jpg

The stainless looks pimp! Any noticeable difference in how it feeds?

Great thread by the way, I'm going to try polishing the barrel and ramp, and maybe a trigger job down the road.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Just checked out Galloway's sight, stainless guide rod on the way. And I'll be on the look out for their plus one base plates. Ryan if I could rep you again, I would.

no problem guys, i figure it's worth sharing info i've gathered to help other people out. i appreciate when others help me out with stuff like this, so i don't mind putting my work in and returning the favor.

i was very dissapointed to hear the aluminum trigger won't work together with the galloway hammer and bar, but the fabricator of this trigger says he manipulated the geometry of the trigger, so once it's installed there is no take-up and it feels like it breaks a bit sooner, further away from the frame. he guaranteed me positive results, so we'll see. i have watched videos where some people show how they've had problems with the galloway hammer/bar jamming up and not resetting. that could be an installation error of course, but who knows. it's trial and error for me. if i don't like this trigger, then i'll give the galloway stuff a shot. i will order the guide rod today from galloway, so the next pics will show the stainless guide rod and the aluminum trigger. i'll continue to update this thread as i go along.

also, i used the vinegar trick to remove the bluing from the barrel, FYI. it worked great!! one half hour soak and the bluing just came of with a rub of the finger. i used a toothbrush to scrub it all off, then went over it with a fine sanding pad that was flexible. finally, i applied some metal polish with a terry cloth then buffed it by hand with a clean cloth. tonight i will (hopefully) grab some Flitz from Ace Hardware and hit it with a dremel buffing wheel, i understand that will really make it shine.

Last edited:
Any noticeable difference in how it feeds?

havn't shot it yet, but i did cycle a few mags through it (with hollowpoints) and it DEFINATELY has a better feel when it chambers a round, no jams. and it ejects the rounds beautifully. i know it's feeding smoother now for sure, and it should hopefully reduce the chances of feeding jams. i also just ordered the guide rod & 18lb spring today from galloway, should receive that and the aluminum trigger next week, so keep an eye out for the update!!

Last edited:
HOLY COW!! Flitz metal polish just blew my mind!!! I will be using the stuff on every aluminum piece under the hood of my 65 cutlass come spring time....not sure if the pics do it justice, bud this entire barrel is gleaming, the feed ramp is even better too!! A little bit of flitz and a dremel with a buffing wheel on it, it's almost like a mirror in person.

a772f35e.jpg

b126e983.jpg

b67dcb0e.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got the trigger in, I polished up the trigger before I installed it. I think it matches the barrel perfectly, and it makes the trigger pull feel tighter, shorter, and seems to reset sooner as well. It made enough of a difference that I don't feel I even need the Galloway trigger bar and hammer. I made a video showing how I polished the trigger and my thoughts on the trigger upon arrival which will be on YouTube soon. I also did a follow up video showing the final product and the action in the trigger. I love it like this. Stainless guide rod and spring on the way!!!

264107fb.jpg

1998362d.jpg

9275ea0b.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is with the guide rod and spring, feels alot tighter all around with the new spring. The slide closes alot faster and more positively. Can't wait to try it out cuz I can tell it's gonna have a different feel:

48e6208c.jpg

Great thread, thanks! To get the bluing off you simply soaked it in vinegar and then scrubbed?

Great thread, thanks! To get the bluing off you simply soaked it in vinegar and then scrubbed?

correct....45 min fully submerged in vinegar, then scrub with an old toothbrush while it is still submerged in the vinegar, it will come right off. then from there it's sand and polish:)

Just picked up my LC9 today and removed the mag disconnect. I am going to shoot it at least a few hundred rounds before deciding on any trigger mods. I recently shot the KelTec PF9 and this honestly isn't much worse off. I was able to hit very well with the PF9 and don't expect any difference with the LC9. I also shot the S&W Bodyguard 380 which was TERRIBLE. That is officially the worst trigger in the history of mankind.

Just picked up my LC9 today and removed the mag disconnect. I am going to shoot it at least a few hundred rounds before deciding on any trigger mods. I recently shot the KelTec PF9 and this honestly isn't much worse off. I was able to hit very well with the PF9 and don't expect any difference with the LC9. I also shot the S&W Bodyguard 380 which was TERRIBLE. That is officially the worst trigger in the history of mankind.

You're gonna see the blued finish on the barrel and around the ejection port start to wear off. You'll have a fully polished barrel before u know it[wink]

Hope your LC9 is a keeper!!

I started seeing wear on the barrel around the chamber, so I went ahead and polished it up just like Ryan did. I think it looks better.

I pulled out my mag disconnect last night. It was easier than I thought. I watched the 5 minute video from Galloway on how to do it, and I don't think it took much more than 5 minutes to do it myself.

I see that Galloway has stopped adding names to it's waiting list for trigger bar kits. It sounds like they cannot get enough parts from Ruger, so they are setting up to fabricate their own. They expect to start shipping kits again in late April.

We will no longer be accepting folks on the wait list till we are able to get our own hammer and trigger bars off our mold and die. We have had supply problems getting the factory Ruger hammers and bars to modify and will no longer be waiting or allowing the list to get longer. We hope to have a die and mold up by end of April and shipping promptly as soon as they are in stock.
We are sorry for this inconvience and hope to be shipping as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Eric

I was going to wait and do my mag disconnect at the same time as my kit install, but this news made me decide to go ahead and do it separately. Neither job is very difficult.

Last edited:
I say get at least a few hundred rounds through it then see if you really need a new trigger. Most triggers require a break in period before smoothing out completely. In the end its your gun though and do what makes you happy.

I say get at least a few hundred rounds through it then see if you really need a new trigger. Most triggers require a break in period before smoothing out completely. In the end its your gun though and do what makes you happy.

My biggest gripe isn't the weight or the smoothness, it's the travel distance. I've seen the before and after video with the Galloway trigger bar, and the travel distance is cut in half.

I do have a few hundred rounds through it, and I can live with it the way it is. When I shoot it side by side with my SR9 is when the length of the trigger pull really becomes apparent. That's what I would like to correct.

But you're right, if I had never heard of the Galloway trigger mod, I would have been happy to leave the gun the way it is. Damn internet.

My biggest gripe isn't the weight or the smoothness, it's the travel distance. I've seen the before and after video with the Galloway trigger bar, and the travel distance is cut in half.

I do have a few hundred rounds through it, and I can live with it the way it is. When I shoot it side by side with my SR9 is when the length of the trigger pull really becomes apparent. That's what I would like to correct.

But you're right, if I had never heard of the Galloway trigger mod, I would have been happy to leave the gun the way it is. Damn internet.

I'd like a shorter trigger pull very much! If anyone has had success in making the LC9 trigger shorter, please tell me how it was done!

I just got my LC9 last week and shot it for the first time today and I love it. I had zero issues and see this staying in my pocket for a long time to come. After reading countless reviews online before I finally made the purchase I feel like I'm the only one who actually doesn't mind the stock trigger. My only gripe is the ugly flag style LCI. I have no idea why they have to include that when there is already a peep window to see into the chamber. Is the flag style a CA thing?? But anyway at only $15 at Galloway for an LCI delete I can't come up with any reason not to order it. It will make a perfect gun even better and now I just need a proper size roll pin punch. Anyone have one I can borrow?

Back
Top Bottom