• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Customer Service...A+

This topic has been posted many times, but bears repeating.

I bought a new Mark IV Target Pistol. It shoots great and eats any and all .22LR ammo with no issues.

At the last range trip, the front front sight screw came loose. I ham handed it and stripped the screw.

Contacted Ruger:

Paul,

Your new screw will ship out tomorrow. The order number is 894153. If you have any other questions or concerns, please call our customer service department at 928-541-8892, press option 5, then 5 again and a rep will assist you.

Thank you and have a good day,

Ruger Customer Service

That is why my last 2 guns came from Ruger - Great Customer Service.

good to hear again. but even me, the one time biggest ruger fan boy, has to admit the customer service people get too much on the job training. anyway, glad they took care of you.

Just bought a Single Six. Great gun so far. If I have any issues I bet the service will be just as good as the used Gp100 I bought used several years ago. Bought it, took it to the range, loaded 6 rounds, flawless. Loaded 6 more, after 2 or 3 rounds the cylinder wouldn't turn. Back to FS, they shipped it to Ruger, came back 8 days later completely rebuilt, new springs, trigger work, etc. No charge. The Single Six is the 4th or 5th since then. I'll keep buying them too.

Same here. Bought an 80s redhawk. Light strikes double action. They offered to fix it for free, or ship me free springs no questions, even though we both thought someone put aftermarket parts in it.

I bought a new Mark IV Target Pistol. It shoots great and eats any and all .22LR ammo with no issues.

At the last range trip, the front front sight screw came loose. I ham handed it and stripped the screw.

Contacted Ruger:

Paul,

Your new screw will ship out tomorrow. The order number is 894153. If you have any other questions or concerns, please call our customer service department at 928-541-8892, press option 5, then 5 again and a rep will assist you.

Ruger Customer Service

I have had many Ruger's over the years and their customer service has always been excellent. Now Sig, that's another story.

Contacted Ruger:

Paul,

Ruger Customer Service

The screws are heat treated. Are you sure that the barrel is not stripped? Jack.

Thanks Jack.

The screw head was as soft as aluminum.......getting it out may be an issue......

Any suggestions?

I have the same issue with the front sight, I just tightened it every time it became loose. I’ve been thinking of putting some blue loctite on the screw. Is it a factory defect?

Ruger's CS is top notch. I bought a 25-year-old Mark II on NES a year ago. Brought it home and found a crack in the frame. As soon as I called Ruger they said they'd email me a prepaid return mailer, and a week later I had my gun back with an entirely new lower frame and fire control group. And while I had them on the phone I mentioned the sights on my 35-year-old Redhawk were damaged, and they sent an envelope full of spare parts at no charge.

Always nice to hear a good customer service story, especially when the problem is not entirely the manufacturer's.
The blue Loctite should do the trick + keep that screw tight.

Thanks Jack.

The screw head was as soft as aluminum.......getting it out may be an issue......

Any suggestions?

A quick search shows they're slotted screws. Super glue (or carefully epoxy) something to the screw and twist out? Very carefully drill a small shallow hole and use an EZOut? It's ruined, send it to me?

Do slotted screws serve any purpose other than to get mangled and/or let your screwdriver slip and stab you in the hand/knee/groin?

I remember sending my Sig Mosquito back. Changed springs, polished ramp, polished followers, replaced mag springs, about 6 different kinds of ammo. Random Fail to fire, Fail to feed, Fail to eject, pretty much all the "Fail too's". Sent it back twice, they claimed a 10 round flawless magazine each time. Lol. POS. After 2 returns it was about 70% reliable, so basically useless. Sold it here, actually traded for a shotgun. FULL disclosure, all the records, almost tried to talk him out of the deal. Sig? Never again. Yes, I know the Mosquito is like the Cadillac Cimmaron, but a POS is a POS is a POS.

Everyone I know that bought a Ruger MK whatever told them loctite the front sight screw and keep an eye on the role pin that holds the rear sight as it will walk out.

I've dealt with their service department three times, once Newport, twice Az. They're excellent, however, how come so much goes wrong with Ruger products? I have a Mini 14 that blue lock tight doesn't do it, red doesn't do it, still trying to figure that one out. Two striker brakes on LC9S, guide rod swallowed by the spring.

My dumba$$ lost the break down "pin" used on the guide rod of the SR1911 10mm....I know I could have fashioned a paper clip or something else but I wrote them anyway. They sent two... I thought that was mighty generous considering it was my issue to begin with.

Yup. Their customer service is great. They will mail parts without question, take in anything with a Ruger stamp on it for service, and even replace completely phucked up old guns with brand new replacements at less than most dealer costs. Their QC seems to be improving too.

I recently had to call S&W Customer Service for a screw that fell out of my cylinder release latch and they said they would mail me a replacement for $2.50. Is this what they call their "life time guarantee?"

Trying to decide what to do with a Ruger 1911 light weight commander. It took some break in to get it to function smoothly, and that is fine. 200 rounds in and no more failure to eject or stovepipes. So I started to try to get used to it. For reference, I own three other 1911s, not Rugers, and plenty of other hand guns, so I am used to sights and ammo having slightly different POA/POI But shooting a silhouette target at 10 yards, with the sights aligned and the front sight covering the "head" of the target the rounds are impacting "lower abdomen" area. This was with WWB, S&B and Remington green box. Some slight variation with each ammo, but still in the same area. To get the rounds to land where the front sight is, at ten yards, The front sight was fully above the rear sight, so just going to a lower front sight will not work and the rear would need to be something like one of those meant to co witness a red dot for it to be on. Have not contacted Ruger yet. Was only this weekend that it finally started cycling smoothly and I moved on to accuracy.

Trying to decide what to do with a Ruger 1911 light weight commander. It took some break in to get it to function smoothly, and that is fine. 200 rounds in and no more failure to eject or stovepipes. So I started to try to get used to it. For reference, I own three other 1911s, not Rugers, and plenty of other hand guns, so I am used to sights and ammo having slightly different POA/POI But shooting a silhouette target at 10 yards, with the sights aligned and the front sight covering the "head" of the target the rounds are impacting "lower abdomen" area.

Speaking mostly from theory not experience...

Ruger Stainless Government: 39.0oz
Ruger Stainless Commander: 36.4oz
Ruger Aluminum Commander: 29.3oz

Zeroing a pistol has to be a personal process, right?
No two shooters have the same reaction to timing and recoil.

Consider removing the human from the system entirely:

Shoot your lightest other 1911 at a target from a bench rest.
Compare the center of the pattern to where it would group if you were shooting it from your own hands.

Now do it with the new lightweight commander.
See if the distance from the sight zero to the group is comparable.

Or, see how a muzzle laser boresight relates to the sight picture
for both the new lightweight commander, and your lightest previous 1911.

Or, stop and see if you get better personal results from 185gr. instead of 230gr.
(Assuming that has less recoil - does it?)

Again, I'm not even Hickok22 - let alone Hickok45.
(Ping! Pang! Ping!)
I'm just saying that pistol probably has a different recoil from heavier 1911's,
and I don't know how a pistol designer determines the proper dimensions of fixed iron sights.

Hope this helps.
P. S. There's no damage to the barrel's muzzle, especially the crown, right?

Speaking mostly from theory not experience...

Ruger Stainless Government: 39.0oz
Ruger Stainless Commander: 36.4oz
Ruger Aluminum Commander: 29.3oz

Zeroing a pistol has to be a personal process, right?
No two shooters have the same reaction to timing and recoil.

Consider removing the human from the system entirely:

Shoot your lightest other 1911 at a target from a bench rest.
Compare the center of the pattern to where it would group if you were shooting it from your own hands.

Now do it with the new lightweight commander.
See if the distance from the sight zero to the group is comparable.

Or, see how a muzzle laser boresight relates to the sight picture
for both the new lightweight commander, and your lightest previous 1911.

Or, stop and see if you get better personal results from 185gr. instead of 230gr.
(Assuming that has less recoil - does it?)

Again, I'm not even Hickok22 - let alone Hickok45.
(Ping! Pang! Ping!)
I'm just saying that pistol probably has a different recoil from heavier 1911's,
and I don't know how a pistol designer determines the proper dimensions of fixed iron sights.

Hope this helps.
P. S. There's no damage to the barrel's muzzle, especially the crown, right?

No damage big enough to be visible. I have another aluminum frame commander from S&W, so I do have one about the same weight.

Thanks for the input.

No damage big enough to be visible. I have another aluminum frame commander from S&W, so I do have one about the same weight.

Thanks for the input.

De nada.

See if you can find a difference in their recoil spring constants?
(I won't suggest swapping springs, in case you could end up damaging
the slide or frame).

Every company has a LOT of practice, some make it a priority to take care of the customer and some suck.

I shoot a lot.. I have shot competitively for quite a while and carry a gun everyday for the federal government. I have owned and shot 10s of thousands of rounds through Hand built 1911s, HKs, Older Sigs, CZs, Glocks, SW, SA, Steyrs, FNs etc. etc.

I have sent a gun back to the manufacturer 5 times all 5 were Rugers. I am not talking about "oh it has a bad extractor" send backs. I am a big boy.. I can fix an extractor or a spring whatever. I am talking they make steaming piles of shit.That being said every time Ruger had great customer service.. I'd rather just buy a gun that doesn't need customer service.

They make guns for guys who run a box through it at the range and then throw it in the safe for 15 years.. no one I know that actually shoots runs a Ruger.

I shoot a lot.. I have shot competitively for quite a while and carry a gun everyday for the federal government. I have owned and shot 10s of thousands of rounds through Hand built 1911s, HKs, Older Sigs, CZs, Glocks, SW, SA, Steyrs, FNs etc. etc.

I have sent a gun back to the manufacturer 5 times all 5 were Rugers. I am not talking about "oh it has a bad extractor" send backs. I am a big boy.. I can fix an extractor or a spring whatever. I am talking they make steaming piles of shit.That being said every time Ruger had great customer service.. I'd rather just buy a gun that doesn't need customer service.

They make guns for guys who run a box through it at the range and then throw it in the safe for 15 years.. no one I know that actually shoots runs a Ruger.

My only 2 Rugers, (Mark 4 target and sons heavily modded 10/22) would disagree. True they sell a lot of cheap guns to new shooters, probably a good mix to have issues, but, I stand by my statement. All companies have issues, some treat the customer right.

Yeah im sure they make great .22s and I have heard they have some good revolvers.

I have zero interest in either one of those platforms so.. to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom