Ruger brings back the PCC in 9mm?

When Ruger introduced its .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine ("Deerfield Carbine") which used a rotary detachable magazine, it held 4 rounds.

There's a specific reason Ruger limited the mag capacity to 4 rounds, to make it legal for hunting in more locations, due to F&G laws restricting max capacity of centerfire semiauto rifles to a total of 5 rounds.

Agreed. Interestingly, Thompson Center/ Smith & Wesson have also successfully applied the rotary magazine concept to conventional centerfire rifle cartridges (e.g. T/C Compass).

The problem with a flush fit- rotary type magazine in larger diameter calibers is that they would be more capacity limited than pistol-type box magazine. When Ruger introduced its .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine ("Deerfield Carbine") which used a rotary detachable magazine, it held 4 rounds.

Although the magazine might be argued to take away from the aesthetics of the new pistol caliber carbine, it allows a lot of capacity in states that allow that sort of thing- but also (because of the magazine options) easily accommodates those of us who live in more restrictive states. I appreciate that- because a lot of companies don't really make choices that consider the capacity restrictions which we face "behind enemy lines."

I'd rather have a larger capacity tube magazine in .44 magnum lever rifle.

Rimmed cartridges tend to rim lock in "regular" magazines especially double stack. Hence the popularity of 38 Super Comp brass.

Like a seven round mag for a carbine? If people are able to access a long gun, they would probably prefer a mag with 15 to 30 rds. That would eliminate the single stack mags. Then hopefully, the carry gun with seven rounds does not have to leave the holster.

Ruger_PCC_Orig_v1b.jpg
It'd be nice if the pistol with 7 rds doesn't have to leave the holster, but my train of thought is along the lines of people in states with 10 rd magazine limits would be able to use their 7 or 9 round LC9 magazines in this carbine and call it a day. I'm sure there are people in such states who have single stack 9mm Rugers, Glock 43, S&W Shields, 1911's, etc. that would really appreciate a carbine that uses magazines they already have and not force them to fat 10 round magazines for doublestack pistols they'll never buy.

There's a specific reason Ruger limited the mag capacity to 4 rounds, to make it legal for hunting in more locations, due to F&G laws restricting max capacity of centerfire semiauto rifles to a total of 5 rounds.
That makes sense. However, I doubt that the capacity (in .44) would have been much higher given the dimensions of the .44 Magnum cartridge case.

(With respect to the new 9mm carbine) Also, think about the way that consumer base would have responded if they were stuck with a relatively low capacity rotary magazine when the contemporary guns it is competing against are (primarily) AR types (designed ground up around dedicated Glock magazines), the Kel-Tec, and the Hi-Point. Vintage used guns that it is competing against include include the Marlin Camp Carbine, various AR-types designed to use various pistol or SMG mags, often changable via magwell adapters, and the Ruger PC series. Most of those have cross compatibility with a pistol magazine with the exception of certain AR varients from the (federal) ban era which were designed to be compatible with (then common and cheap) SMG mags/modified SMG mags (Sten, Grease gun, etc....)- and the Colt's which used a proprietary 9mm magazine, whcih is now available on the aftermarket. What every one of those has in common is that in addition to magazines being common, they all have high capacity models readily available in the states where legal. Ruger made a good move with this. Despite looking a little odd, it presents a variety of magazine choices in both low capacity for states that require that and high capacity for the states that don't prohibit that.

Now what Ruger needs to do is start making a US made, inexpensive, reliable AK clone. I think this is the next untapped "thing". Everyone makes an AR, and everyone has one. Those of us who don't have an AR, probably don't want one. I think an AK clone would be awesome, especially if it can compete pricewise with the imports that are so so on quality.

Two separate, detachable tube magazines (or a plug like they use in shotguns) would cure this.

While we're at it, can a .444 also take .44 Magnum, .44 Special, and .44 Russian?

Not true.
That only applies to .22 rimfire calibers, NOT centerfire calibers.
I have a modern copy of a Colt Lighnting .45LC pump gun, it holds 14 rounds in the tube and it's NOT Mass compliant.
Glidden disagrees with you. He argues that the tube does not constitute a magazine separate from the firearm. Since most cops go by Glidden (apparently) such guns are freely available here

Glidden disagrees with you. He argues that the tube does not constitute a magazine separate from the firearm. Since most cops go by Glidden (apparently) such guns are freely available here

Section 121

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating ONLY with,.22 caliber ammunition.

How does this allow a post 1994 firearm, with a FIXED tube magazine of over 10 rounds capacity, which operates with any caliber other than .22 ?

I know I didn't read it wrong, and this very subject has popped up several times here in the past.

But hey, it's Mass, so who really knows for sure ?
If a Mass dealer is willing to transfer one to you, then the onus is upon him to make sure it's Mass compliant.
But if you buy one out of state, and bring it home to Mass, are you sure you want to FA10 it ?

As someone who carries a LC9s, and already has several magazines for it, I find this to be very interesting and intriguing....

Shot one the other day. Pretty nice. Pretty solid feeling, a little heavy maybe. Sights are surprisingly good, especially since I wasn't holding out a lot of hope with the rear ring so far forward, trigger was decent, too much travel and little mushy for me, but I'm a little spoiled in that regard. Able to hold a decent group freestyle at 25 yards, and no malfunctions. I'm in for one at some point.

Got it at Shooting Supply. Feels heavy or solid depending on your view. I think it just felt heavy to me because I subconsiously associate it more with a 10/22. Takedown is easy. Sights are good. Built in rail on receiver is nice. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it and bore sighted it. It co-witnesses the iron sights. Moved the charging handle to left side. Added stock spacers to get to 14 1/2" pull. Waiting for break in weather to get to the range. Have both Ruger and Glock magazines to try. I expect to see quite a few of these at Steel Challenges.

Section 121

How does this allow a post 1994 firearm, with a FIXED tube magazine of over 10 rounds capacity, which operates with any caliber other than .22 ?

I know I didn't read it wrong, and this very subject has popped up several times here in the past.

But hey, it's Mass, so who really knows for sure ?
If a Mass dealer is willing to transfer one to you, then the onus is upon him to make sure it's Mass compliant.
But if you buy one out of state, and bring it home to Mass, are you sure you want to FA10 it ?

In Mass a tube fed anything is largely not considered an LCAFD. This may or may not necessarily being supported by the law but the way it's interpreted on the ground seems to be that anything that feeds from a tube doesn't really matter. It's the reason why I can walk into most gun shops in Massachusetts and order a semi-automatic shotgun that holds more than 5 rounds of ammo as long as it doesn't have a pistol grip..... or the same for a pump for that matter.

Also you're wrong about the "onus" if we're talking AWB crab here it's possession related so the possessor would face a felony if convicted... although the chances of that happening are between slim and none given what we've seen on the ground. I've never seen or heard of a prosecution involving a tube fed gun being large-capacity....

Back
Top Bottom