Ruger and Smith & Wesson 1911 differences

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between these two wonderful weapons? I've heard wonderful things about both and it will be my first 1911 so I wanted to make an educated decision.

Thank you!

I own and have only shot the Ruger, not a S&W 1911. But in my experiences with the Ruger SR1911, they have all been great. The finish is great, it shoots awesome, I like the trigger and sights, it seems to be a solidly built 1911. Again, I only own one as of now, so I can't compare it to anything.

It is really popular even now, you really can't find them anywhere. As soon as a shop does get some in, there gone in 5 minutes. The price tag of under $750 helps too. BUt IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Ruger. Excellent gun.

I'm not an expert. A couple things, the Ruger has a traditional internal extractor while the S&W has an external extractor. However, I'm not sure if one is necessarily better than the other. Another difference, I believe the the S&W's have a non-traditional dovetail cut for the rear sight. The Ruger has a standard colt spec dovetail sight cut. So the the S&W may have limited aftermarket sights if you chose to replace them. These are just a couple differences. Hopefully someone else chimes in so I don't give you the wrong information.

Not sure what the S&W's are, but the Ruger is a Series 70 style 1911. It has no firing pin block, instead using a titanium firing pin and stronger spring.

I spoke with someone who's fired both today and he said he liked the Ruger a little more. At this point I think I"m partial to the Ruger myself. Now we just have to wait until they arrive here in our wonderful state!

They are in the state, if you mean "approved."

Juts call around. You will find one somewhere. FS sells them for $699, and a few other places I saw them for $749. Call FS and get put on their waiting list. I did that, and 2 weeks later they called me.

They are in the state, if you mean "approved."

Juts call around. You will find one somewhere. FS sells them for $699, and a few other places I saw them for $749. Call FS and get put on their waiting list. I did that, and 2 weeks later they called me.

Thanks! My local shop said that it didn't look good on getting any in stock soon. I'll call FS tomorrow!

The Smith and Wesson warranty is really good, it doesn't matter if you have any receipts or anything, they will always fix it if it breaks. I am not so sure about Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom