Ruger Alaskan: Mass compliant?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey all,

Anyone here have the definitive word on whether or not the Ruger Alaskan is Mass compliant? I have spoke to the owner of a very reputable gun shop that I frequent, and he assures me that it is in fact compliant and that he has a waiting list for them. Wanting "immediate gratification" I started asking around at the Marlborough show a couple of weeks ago, and was told by more than one dealer that the gun was NOT Mass compliant, and that they could not legally sell me one. When last I looked at "the list", it did not appear, but I'm not sure how often that actually get "publicly" updated. God knows if it's on the AG's "double super secret action-decoder-ring approved list" either. I don't know the secret handshake to get into that club...[rolleyes]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. New Hampshire is looking better all the time...[crying]

It's very simple:

If a new gun is NOT on the latest published list, it cannot legally be sold by a Mass. FFL to a Mass. resident.

All of which has been stated and discussed in detail here many times before....

Coyote33 said:

And that will somehow make it legal to sell here? [rolleyes] [rofl]

To OP: Call Ruger and ask them directly!! It is possible that they had it tested and submitted to GCAB, then EOPS and it is just awaiting a new published list. Regardless, as Scrivener has stated, until the List (and I don't mean the one on the link above) is printed in the newspapers, they can NOT legally sell it here. Since Ruger has to swear that it meets the AGs requirements (for the millionth time, the AG does NOT EVER give a "go" signal to a mfr), they should be able to tell you that as well. Then come back here and report what you were told with attribution to Ruger as the source.

LenS said:
And that will somehow make it legal to sell here? [rolleyes] [rofl]

To OP: Call Ruger and ask them directly!! It is possible that they had it tested and submitted to GCAB, then EOPS and it is just awaiting a new published list. Regardless, as Scrivener has stated, until the List (and I don't mean the one on the link above) is printed in the newspapers, they can NOT legally sell it here. Since Ruger has to swear that it meets the AGs requirements (for the millionth time, the AG does NOT EVER give a "go" signal to a mfr), they should be able to tell you that as well. Then come back here and report what you were told with attribution to Ruger as the source.

Len is still just not getting it. This persons says he has someone who will sell this gun. I told the person to post on that thread to add it to the list of what is available. If someone goes to buy it and can, then I guess it IS available, right? If the dealer says "beat it", it comes off the list.

Why are you fighting it Len? Let the love flow, man.

Here is one simple way you should go when you have a question about MA law:

If there is any doubt, or if it is reasonable, then the answer is no.

Coyote, I see your point, however I raise one question (for OP) first.

Is the dealer just compiling a "waiting list"? Or has that dealer filled any orders to date?

Sounds to me that my supposition might be correct . . . it was tested, approved pending publication of a new List by the state.

A few guns in that position were "wait listed" by places like Four Seasons, etc. in the past . . . where the mfr told the dealer it was approved pending publication.

Realistically, the new Sec. of Public Safety determines when it gets published! [When they cough up ~$10K to the Boston Glob to print the full page "ad" with the entire List, plus lesser money to publish in the Herald.]

LenS said:
Realistically, the new Sec. of Public Safety determines when it gets published! [When they cough up ~$10K to the Boston Glob to print the full page "ad" with the entire List, plus lesser money to publish in the Herald.]

I must be missing some bloody large ads, because I've NEVER seen the AFR published in a newspaper. I've always looked for it on-line; either directly at the EOPS website or GOAL's (both are bookmarked).

As for the fabrication on this forum purporting to be "The List," it is obviously unauthorized and, from what I've seen, very poorly compiled. Note that it makes no effort to identify which SV Infinity models are approved, despite the fact that each is clearly identified on the real list. [rolleyes]

As the AG's regulations do not apply to private transfers, technically ALL handguns are "available in Massachusetts" - so long as you have a willing seller, both parties hold the requisite licenses and there aren't any "post-ban" mags involved.

Scrivener said:
...As for the fabrication on this forum purporting to be "The List," it is obviously unauthorized and, from what I've seen, very poorly compiled. Note that it makes no effort to identify which SV Infinity models are approved, despite the fact that each is clearly identified on the real list. [rolleyes]

Unauthorized by WHO? Since when does anyone need authorization to make a list of something?

[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

If you have some more information to contribute, it is welcome. One has to start somewhere, however crude, and build from there. Have you anything better to offer? I thought so...[thinking]

Scrivener said:
...As the AG's regulations do not apply to private transfers, technically ALL handguns are "available in Massachusetts" - so long as you have a willing seller, both parties hold the requisite licenses and there aren't any "post-ban" mags involved.

Again, contributions to "The list" are welcomed.

Coyote33 said:
Unauthorized by WHO? Since when does anyone need authorization to make a list of something?

[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

If you have some more information to contribute, it is welcome. One has to start somewhere, however crude, and build from there. Have you anything better to offer? I thought so...[thinking]

I guess the question that still nags at so many of us is "list of what?" We've already got the EOPS list, but what does this list add? We know that there are guns out there that some dealers are selling that are required to be approved by EOPS but aren't, and we know that a lot of dealers refuse to sell firearms that are either plainly exempt from both the EOPS and AG requirements or just as plainly satisfy those requirements. If this is supposed to be a list of guns that some "contributer" should be Mass compliant, waht good is that if no dealer will sell one? OTOH, if it's supposed to be a list of guns that are actually available at dealers, then what good is that information without the name of the dealer? It just seems to me like a solution in search of a problem.

Ken

It is a list of what CAN ACTUALLY BE PURCHASED.

Most of the ones on the list are available at most dealers (S&W, MkIII, etc.). Some are only available at some dealers, and in that case, the dealer is listed.

There is no other list of what can be purchased if someone asks. You can be part of the solution (help add to the list), or part of the problem (fight keeping any sort of list). Your choice. Until something better comes along, that is pretty much the only list ever put together of what can be purchased in MA. If not, please steer us to that better list.

Coyote33 said:
It is a list of what CAN ACTUALLY BE PURCHASED.

Most of the ones on the list are available at most dealers (S&W, MkIII, etc.). Some are only available at some dealers, and in that case, the dealer is listed.

There is no other list of what can be purchased if someone asks. You can be part of the solution (help add to the list), or part of the problem (fight keeping any sort of list). Your choice. Until something better comes along, that is pretty much the only list ever put together of what can be purchased in MA. If not, please steer us to that better list.

We're going to have to agree to disagree!

I think that the EOPS List along with what a dealer will sell is the best list.

You haven't posted dealers names here who will sell the "gray area" items and that is a good thing. Be advised that if you do start publishing dealer's names, one of the Mods will edit your response and remove it . . . that is our policy here to prevent the AG's goon squad (who do troll Internet sites for info on who to "sting") from prosecuting a dealer and perhaps put him out of business altogether (that's the AG's ultimate objective).

LenS said:
We're going to have to agree to disagree!

I think that the EOPS List along with what a dealer will sell is the best list.

You haven't posted dealers names here who will sell the "gray area" items and that is a good thing. Be advised that if you do start publishing dealer's names, one of the Mods will edit your response and remove it . . . that is our policy here to prevent the AG's goon squad (who do troll Internet sites for info on who to "sting") from prosecuting a dealer and perhaps put him out of business altogether (that's the AG's ultimate objective).

bsflag.gif

Let's continue the discussion in that thread.

(-:

The .454C version is fully MA compliant and available but often in short supply. The .480R version is "in the process," according to Ruger and will also be available in MA when the paperwork/admin processes are completed.

Back
Top Bottom