• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Round goes off in box

Apropos of the condition of the case, many years ago (early sixties?) the American Rifleman did a test to see what actually happened to ammo that was in a fire. The used a variety of rounds, both smokeless and black powder. They built a fire outdoors, tossed in various calibers and put up cardboard boxes on the periphery.

They only found some small pieces of brass that penetrated a layer of cardboard at about fifteen feet. Nothing larger than that. The conclusion, IIRC, was that regular small arms ammo in a fire could burst but the only potential danger was from small pieces of brass hitting someone in the eye. So the condition of the case in the picture makes sense for an unsupported round going off.

Also many years ago the American Rifleman had a report of a death due to a loaded Ruger cylinder falling out of a shirt pocket. This was when they had recently introduced the .22 and .22 WMR convertibles. A man was carrying a loaded extra cylinder in his shirt pocket and when he bent over it fell out and hit the concrete floor exactly at the angle to detonate the primer and the round went through his head killing him.

Really? I never bought a box of ammo where the ammo was lose in the box. It is always neatly arranged.

Am I buying the wrong ammo?

Short answer, yes.

Not wrong ammo, just wrong amounts of said ammo. It is a pain though, boxed ammo is in a smaller container/box. Loose ammo takes up more space and is harder to manage if you don't have room for larger boxes.

Bought various brass scrap from a closing yard in large gayload boxes loading them in the building there was a few live rifle rounds that fell out ran 2 over with the fork lift and they went off. Didn't know there were cases never mind rounds in the boxes

Updated story, with video of the incident.

WWB 100 round 9mm was loose.

Yes, that, and as someone else mentioned .22 LR.... they just didn't come to mind because its been since like obamascare 2 since I bought either... and that feels like a lifetime ago... [laugh] Hell, at this point I don't think I've even fired a .22 in at least like 3 years.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom