Road Rage Incident This Afternoon

A few years ago I passed a guy on a two-lane road because he was going only 20mph in 40mph zone. It was late at night, no traffic and I just wanted to get home. I just figured he was rolling a doobie or getting a BJ so I didn't honk or even look over but then the guy sped up and got right on my back bumper. He chased me around for a few miles but my car has pretty sporty handling so I zig-zagged around and lost him. This was before I carried so I kept a bat in the car.

I've always wondered about getting out of the vehicle if they force you to stop or you're stuck in traffic. You're more vulnerable while sitting in the vehicle and if they break the glass to come in after you then you'd probably have to shoot them. If you get out of the vehicle and move around to try to position the vehicle between you and them you might have more options.

If you get out of your car with a gun, chances are it will end up bad. Your safest in your car as long as you keep moving and don't be afraid to use your car to push.

I've always wondered about getting out of the vehicle if they force you to stop or you're stuck in traffic. You're more vulnerable while sitting in the vehicle and if they break the glass to come in after you then you'd probably have to shoot them. If you get out of the vehicle and move around to try to position the vehicle between you and them you might have more options.

Bingo. Never, ever, get out of the vehicle unless they're shooting at you. it then comes down to He said/she said, who's the instigator?

No, NBA.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have called 911. "Help police, I'm being chased by 2 thugs and I think one of them flashed a gun at me." Followed by vehicle description.

I would skip the gun part unless you actually see it, sadly it only hurts us as it's our fault they get theses guns in the 1st place.[smile]

Ive wondered about that myself. Definitely feel at a disadvantage just sitting there, belted in to top it off. However, I would think that if you got out and things escalated, the fact that you got out of the car could make it look like you were the aggressor or a willing participant in whatever went on.

I've called the police to try to report the license plate from a road rage incident and was told not to bother... waste of time - they said that if the Police don't actually see it happen with their own eyes, ...then it didn't happen..

Does that go for stoplight traffic cams also?

You should have started blasting away when they first pulled up along side.
You could have saved all that wear and tear on your vehicle and stress....WTF.

No need to get out. Ever.

stewart14n-3-web.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've had cops called on me for stupid crap (e.g. some guy didn't like that I passed him... on a regular road with two lanes... go figure) and nothing ever came of it.

That's a culture thing. Americans don't know how to pass. They think you're a lunatic if you pass them on a two lane road. You, being an immigrant, think passing is normal.

I make kissy faces at road ragers. It sometimes completely unhinges them, and sometimes it makes them laugh.

Maybe the most dangerous thing you can do as psychos hate being ridiculed.

I just remembered that years ago in Ohio I flipped the bird to someone who cut me off. Lost sight of him and the next thing I know he's punching me through the open window at a drive through. I whacked him with the car door and drove off. Later I felt ashamed that I didn't dismount and duke it out but with the wisdom of a few more years I came to see I did the right thing.

One of the side effects of getting my LTC-A is that I'm an even model-er citizen now. I ignore other people's sh!tty driving, never lose my cool and in general avoid any possible confrontation.

I've called the police to try to report the license plate from a road rage incident and was told not to bother... waste of time - they said that if the Police don't actually see it happen with their own eyes, ...then it didn't happen..

Unless the registered plate comes back to "John Smith" at 1 Main St....and a quick check of the state firearm database shows a John Smith, LTC-A, at 1 Main St.....not saying this would happen, but in the CommonPuke of LiberChusetts??
Where a state trooper just yesterday told me - and I'm quoting - "Open carry? Legal? Maybe you think so, but if I see someone, not in uniform, walking down Comm Ave with a gun on his belt? He's going to lie down on the ground"....
(me) "Why? It's an open carry state".....
"Okay, then I can say that you're creating such a fear that motorists are endangering other motorists by swerving as they are looking at a man with a gun. You're now disturbing the peace. I'll order you to freeze and drop to the ground if I want."

Actual conversation, with an actual, current, 20 year veteran state trooper FRIEND, him speaking honestly in a quiet conversation between us yesterday. I swear this on my grandmother's soul.
Is there anyone - ANYONE - who doubts that this is a Nazi regime we now live under??

and he still you FRIEND?

Unless the registered plate comes back to "John Smith" at 1 Main St....and a quick check of the state firearm database shows a John Smith, LTC-A, at 1 Main St.....not saying this would happen, but in the CommonPuke of LiberChusetts??
Where a state trooper just yesterday told me - and I'm quoting - "Open carry? Legal? Maybe you think so, but if I see someone, not in uniform, walking down Comm Ave with a gun on his belt? He's going to lie down on the ground"....
"Okay, then I can say that you're creating such a fear that motorists are endangering other motorists by swerving as they are looking at a man with a gun. You're now disturbing the peace. I'll order you to freeze and drop to the ground if I want."

Actual conversation, with an actual, current, 20 year veteran state trooper FRIEND, him speaking honestly in a quiet conversation between us yesterday. I swear this on my grandmother's soul.
Is there anyone - ANYONE - who doubts that this is a Nazi regime we now live under??

Glad it all worked out. Have to be really careful these days. Some of this crap is gang initiation crap that does not end as well as it did. That's one thing that the anti gun people do not understand is that in almost all incidents like yours, the legal gun owner does everything in there power to get out of a situation like that without having to pull there carry gun out. Nice job controlling the situation.

That's a culture thing. Americans don't know how to pass. They think you're a lunatic if you pass them on a two lane road. You, being an immigrant, think passing is normal.
Oh, I meant two lanes in each direction [laugh] Otherwise, you're right.

"Then when you let me up, and I am back on the street open carrying the next day, are you putting me on the ground again?"
"Yup"
"And the next day?"
"Yup"
"Harassment, and the state will have one less freedom hating imbecile cop like you, my friend. No offense."

If he says: "Well, probably not"
then you can say
"Then my evil plan of desensitizing you to normal people carrying guns has worked."

Of course if he's willing to lie, I hope that his victims have body cameras. I think that there's a much better than even chance that SJC's Simkin or a similar construct will protect you from ultimate responsibility of creating a disturbance based on carrying your holstered gun openly.

Of course I say this as a person who doesn't open carry. :D
If I ever do, it will include a body camera! :D :D :D

As others have suggested, get a dashcam. I bought a g1w-c last month for less than $50 and I've a caught a few interesting things.

No need to get out. Ever.

You're not thinking.

Let me help you: You're blocked in, and two guys reach in the passenger window and try to drag your girl out by her hair. Still gonna sit in that driver seat and pretend you're safe?

Not trying to belittle anyone, but never think that one answer fits all situations. It simply doesn't.

I probably see a "road rage" incident at least once a week, I think I've seen it all, people of all walks of life yelling profanity, giving the ol' finger, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people just become more aggressive behind the wheel

Back
Top Bottom