RIP Vermont: update the restrictions passed the House

THis is unbelievable. Vermont, quiet little Vermont just minding her own business has to now deal with a solution to a non-existent problem. Regardless of the fact that it's infested with lefties, they do love their firearms there and it always seemed like there were few, if any issues that would bring them to the forefront. Now the politicians are making a mountain out of nothing and, as someone said, it's going to fall on the shoulders of the cops there to figure out who's legal and not legal. That's going to disrupt 100+ years of mind-you-own-business. No one there will comply. Here in CT we have a compliance percentage of our onerous gun laws at less than 20%. I'd be surprised if VT came in at 1/2 that. It's like any other law you pass: It's already illegal to shoot people and kill them. What do the politicians in VT expect to see as a result of their hard work by destroying centuries old traditions in a state that doesn't have issues? Send them to Illinois and have them look at Chicago instead.

What does this mean for bringing NFA items to VT. No problem in the past.
There's nothing in the new legislation that addresses any of that. For a while S.55 actually gave us the ability to use suppressors for hunting, but the Dems made sure to strip that back out. :mad:

That's not how it works. The burden is on the state to prove guilt. Since there is no way to prove that a magazine is or is not pre or post ban they have no leg to stand on. There is no need to keep purchase info, there is no law or statute requiring it. Basically the law in unenforceable and everyone involved with this nonsense knows that.

Sure, that is how it works in civics class (if those actually existed anymore). In reality, they heap on a ridiculous pile of charges that will total 87 years in jail if convicted. You then get to spend $100,000 on lawyer fees to take that to trial, and risk spending a very long time in jail. Or, plead guilty and become a PP for life, but with the assurance you'll get probation or a year in jail instead, but life otherwise still ruined since you can't get hired anymore once you're a felon. Almost everyone takes the plea deal.

Of course, it may vary some between states. I have no idea about VT. MA and other tyrannical states will do this to you though.

I'm not feeling too optimistic if that's our only chance for recourse at this point. VT Courts are full of liberals, and even if they stick to precedent, aside from the higher age restriction, I'm not sure what else can be saved.

Well, at least your liberal judges actually follow law and precedent. You could be dealing with MA-style courts, in which case you'd have no hope at all.

That's not how it works. The burden is on the state to prove guilt. Since there is no way to prove that a magazine is or is not pre or post ban they have no leg to stand on. There is no need to keep purchase info, there is no law or statute requiring it. Basically the law in unenforceable and everyone involved with this nonsense knows that.
Yeah....Thats how it SHOULD work, unless you take the MA approach. Cops dont know the laws, dont know the difference of pre/post this or that. And honestly half the citizenry doesnt know either, because the laws are one big cluster f**k. So, instead they just charge you, arrest you, confiscate all your stuff and you can pay to sort it out in court later.

Outside of Bloomberg's bestie (The police chief of Burlington), the vast majority of law enforcement here are pro 2A and against these nonsensical "gun control" measure. They have spoken out in the past and they are once again. I am an escaped Ma**h*** so I get where you are coming from and I understand the difference here.

What does this mean for bringing NFA items to VT. No problem in the past.

The NFA items shouldn't be an issue. What could be is magazines. 10 rifle / 15 pistol limit. Since its not a MFG date, (not that they have them), its the actual import or transfer of a mag after the law goes into effect. So even a nam era mag that is not in the state now, would be illegal. That said, how the heck do you enforce it.

Yeah....Thats how it SHOULD work, unless you take the MA approach. Cops dont know the laws, dont know the difference of pre/post this or that. And honestly half the citizenry doesnt know either, because the laws are one big cluster f**k. So, instead they just charge you, arrest you, confiscate all your stuff and you can pay to sort it out in court later.

This can’t be true. I posted a thread with such questions about pre ban mags in MA and was laughed at by most on here. The same guys who talk about how tyrannical this state is were very quick to tell me that I was being a p***y and it’s on the police to prove it. Any fear that LEO would do something out of line in regards to out 2a rights is not a just fear.

(Dripping with sarcasm)

Those were the posts that led me to think he knows he is screwed as well. Loved the "do you want my job" question he threw out to someone.
How about sticking with principles and ignoring which way the political winds are blowing? I know, that concept is completely LOST on pols these days.

Those were the posts that led me to think he knows he is screwed as well. Loved the "do you want my job" question he threw out to someone.

Someone should have asked "Do *you* want your job?". It's one thing if you're pushed by your boss into a role you don't want. It's another to put your life on hold while you run for office. Becoming governor isn't an accident.

Yeah, FlipFlop Phil is really in a crack and he knows it. From the posts I'm seeing on the GOVT facebook page, people who've talked to him are indicating he knows he's screwed. All he can do is hold on to the tiger's tail and try to ride it out. He won't, though.

If he wasn't retarded he'd just veto this piece of shit and the moonbats would whine for 10 minutes and that'd be the end of that. Without the din of David Hogg et al in the background pealing out a rendition of "save the orphans, ban the guns, wah wah wah wah, waaaaaah!" it would just shrivel up and go away; only the moonbats in burlington would really hold onto it...

Well the magazine ban is either unenforceable, or overly enforcible....they could just treat every old magazine as being in violation, until you prove otherwise. And, I don't know about most people, but I have no way to prove when I bought a magazine. It never occurred to me to keep that purchase info, let alone remember which receipt went with which magazine.... They all look the same to me.

That's cute, but not likely. Without a lot of metrics in place it will soon prove to be full of holes, and any attorney worth more than 5 cents will have that stuff dropped pre trial, and IMO the DA/prosecutor probably will be
not even submitting charges eventually. MA's law, on paper is not nearly as porus as CO or this proposed law in VT, and it RARELY gets prosecuted, I don't think VT would be any different. The most offensive part of
that law is that it would likely be difficult for gun shops to offer magazines at retail, although if its manufacture date based they can just do the berlin airlift thing and go "but, these are PWEEEBAN" for a few years...

-Mike

Seeing how the gun groups in NH are hurling insults at one another and calling one another "antigun" I think you are right.

647828.jpg

Back
Top Bottom