Riley's Gun Shop - Hooksett NH

Just took a trip up to shooters outpost and rileys. Shooters had a small but decent crowd. about 20-25cars in the parking lot. went over to riley, there were 4. i dont know if shooters is taking a bite out of them big time or what... ...but it looked it.

Rileys had 30-06 ammo, 7.62X54 milsurp ammo. i did not see this at shooters.
I was at both Saturday at 11am and Riley's was packed big time. shooters was busy but not crazy

Hit Rileys yesterday! Busy,Stocked and awesome as usual!

stopped at shooters.Busy,Stocked and D-Bags as usual.

Hit Rileys yesterday! Busy,Stocked and awesome as usual!

stopped at shooters.Busy,Stocked and D-Bags as usual.

LOL, what do you mean by dirtbags? They seem ok when I've been there. Riley's is awesome though, and much cheaper for ammo.

Is Riley's still stocked with Mini Mags?

It's difficult to compare prices between the two shops, on firearms I'll often find a $50 price difference on the same new gun.

Comparing service, Riley's has improved slightly in the past year or so, I still find better and more consistent service at Shooter's; Jim's staff are friendly and seem to honestly enjoy their jobs. Riley's staff are usually grumpy, especially on the weekend, I'd rather drive the extra distance and go to [thread=160960]WW[/thread] if I don't need ammo.

It's difficult to compare prices between the two shops, on firearms I'll often find a $50 price difference on the same new gun.

Comparing service, Riley's has improved slightly in the past year or so, I still find better and more consistent service at Shooter's; Jim's staff are friendly and seem to honestly enjoy their jobs. Riley's staff are usually grumpy, especially on the weekend, I'd rather drive the extra distance and go to [thread=160960]WW[/thread] if I don't need ammo.

Damn, never heard of Wicked Weaponry, even though I've been up to Rileys & Shooters several times. Wonder if they'll do transfers of rifles/lowers etc to MA residents.

Damn, never heard of Wicked Weaponry, even though I've been up to Rileys & Shooters several times. Wonder if they'll do transfers of rifles/lowers etc to MA residents.

Feds mandated (a few years ago) that all frames/lowers go thru FFL in new owner's state.

Feds mandated (a few years ago) that all frames/lowers go thru FFL in new owner's state.

Additionally, they transfer like pistols now. I don't think under 21s can buy stripped lowers anymore, either. On top of all that garbage, apparently there is a mandate going around that even a lower with a rifle stock on it isn't acceptable to transfer as a rifle... it must be a complete rifle. Makes sense because a few years ago you used to see these things all the time, now shops don't even bother with them anymore because there's no advantage to it when it comes to a transfer.

-Mike

Yup... that all ended a few years ago. Lowers are now treated under similar rules as handguns, except they transfer as OTHER on the 4473.

-Mike

Unbelievable, thanks, Mike. I guess this is to keep assault rifles from the hands of drug dealers. Oh, wait . . .

What about the staff at shooters makes them d-bags compared to Riley's?

I'd like to know too. If you want to see d bag customer service, go to Als in Derry. The people there are usually pretty good but sometimes Al gets pissy if you ask him if he has x, y, z powder in stock.

I'd like to know too. If you want to see d bag customer service, go to Als in Derry. The people there are usually pretty good but sometimes Al gets pissy if you ask him if he has x, y, z powder in stock.

Really? Seems like a silly thing to get upset over. What does he expect people to ask?

I've never had that experience there. In fact its always been a pleasant one when I go there whether I end up buying or not.

I've never had that experience there. In fact its always been a pleasant one when I go there whether I end up buying or not.

It's only happened a couple times. I just kept asking him "do you have x powder?" "How about y powder?" And he yelled and said "are you going to buy any powder or not!? You're going to have to substitute for a different powder!!" Maybe just having a bad day that time I was there. Most of the time I've gone there, it's been fine. The younger guy who works there has always been very helpful and polite. Not a big deal just happened once or twice. But I don't want to get off subject in this Rileys thread.

I've been checking out shops lately and today I went to Shooters Outpost and Riley's.

Both have good gun and ammo prices and good people. Saw some great used rifles at SO. Definitely worth the trip.

One big problem for us MA residents, SO will not ship/transfer to ANY out of state FFL. Apparently they had a problem with a customer who agreed to pay actual shipping costs but afterwards felt it was too much. So they took an F this approach and stopped shipping to out of state FFLs altogether. Very sad. Pricing was great.

I've been checking out shops lately and today I went to Shooters Outpost and Riley's.

Both have good gun and ammo prices and good people. Saw some great used rifles at SO. Definitely worth the trip.

One big problem for us MA residents, SO will not ship/transfer to ANY out of state FFL. Apparently they had a problem with a customer who agreed to pay actual shipping costs but afterwards felt it was too much. So they took an F this approach and stopped shipping to out of state FFLs altogether. Very sad. Pricing was great.

They'll sell to Mass residents in person though, I bought a shotgun there right before Christmas. They had to check their big orange rule book for laws regarding mass sales but they sold it to me in the end.

They'll sell to Mass residents in person though, I bought a shotgun there right before Christmas. They had to check their big orange rule book for laws regarding mass sales but they sold it to me in the end.

Yes, but no handguns

In person handguns (or frames) across state lines is a Federal crime, so no FFL ever is supposed to sell you a handgun unless you live in the same state as the FFL (or you hold a C&R FFL for C&R gun).

I think you're missing the point.

Normally I'd buy the handgun from the out of state FFL, I can't pick it up so the out of state FFL ships the handgun to an FFL in MA. The MA FFL then transfers it to me. Normally there is a fee for this. There are MA restrictions on handgun type and capacity, the MA FFL will refuse to do the transfer if the handgun is prohibited. This is both letgal and common practice.

But SO will not do this.

What about the staff at shooters makes them d-bags compared to Riley's?

They young know it all behind the AR counter was arrogant....Almost like I was dealing with Eugene Stoner himself. The guy that was behind the reloading counter was busy entertaining what seemed to be his friends...I asked if he had an item he said no and went right back to his friends...No pleasantries...Just NO...Like I didn't matter.

Also....That shop might as well be located in MA. What shop in NH checks an ID for a forward grip,buffer tube or a magazine?

Im sure most of the staff is great....Just not the 2 I dealt with.

I think you're missing the point.

Normally I'd buy the handgun from the out of state FFL, I can't pick it up so the out of state FFL ships the handgun to an FFL in MA. The MA FFL then transfers it to me. Normally there is a fee for this. There are MA restrictions on handgun type and capacity, the MA FFL will refuse to do the transfer if the handgun is prohibited. This is both letgal and common practice.

Other than the compliance bullshit, this is mostly not an issue, if the buyer knows what they're doing.

That said, it is too much of a headache for most NH shops to deal with inbounding handguns (even "compliant" ones) into MA... because the people buying them are numbskulls that don't know what they're doing. I outlined this in a post awhile back (the entire reasoning why most NH FFLs will give you stinkface about inbounding into MA) in another post here, but if you're interested PM me and I'll find it for you. ) It also doesn't help matters that the ATF routinely feeds dealers WRONG information about MA laws... so when dealers call them for guidance, they get told a lie over the phone. (I've seen/overhead this happen myself at least once- some fed told an NH FFL basically told them they can't send any AKs into MA... even ones that are clearly neutered. )

So, long story short, a lot of NH FFLs "will not do this", SO just doens't want to deal with the aggravation. I'd be VERY surprised if Riley's does it at all,
either. Usually saying your from MA at Rileys will make them look at you like you're an ebola carrier.

-Mike

Other than the compliance bullshit, this is mostly not an issue, if the buyer knows what they're doing.

That said, it is too much of a headache for most NH shops to deal with inbounding handguns (even "compliant" ones) into MA... because the people buying them are numbskulls that don't know what they're doing. I outlined this in a post awhile back (the entire reasoning why most NH FFLs will give you stinkface about inbounding into MA) in another post here, but if you're interested PM me and I'll find it for you. ) It also doesn't help matters that the ATF routinely feeds dealers WRONG information about MA laws... so when dealers call them for guidance, they get told a lie over the phone. (I've seen/overhead this happen myself at least once- some fed told an NH FFL basically told them they can't send any AKs into MA... even ones that are clearly neutered. )

So, long story short, a lot of NH FFLs "will not do this", SO just doens't want to deal with the aggravation. I'd be VERY surprised if Riley's does it at all,
either. Usually saying your from MA at Rileys will make them look at you like you're an ebola carrier.

-Mike

How about long guns at Rileys or Shooters, is this only an issue with handguns?

Well with long guns, you being out of state can buy a long gun (AW compliant etc.) at Riley's or SO then do the FA10 (within 7 days?) when you get back to MA. I've seen/overheard SO employees show MA compliant long guns to MA customers a couple times when I was there. I'd assume the same for Rileys but not sure. I've purchased 2 mosins from Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack, NH with no issues, just file the FA10 when I got home.

Last edited:

Long guns are not a problem as long as they are AWB compliant and allowed model if you live in the gun-owner hellhole that is Boston with the model restrictions.

I personally got 2 different mosins from Shooter's with no problem

Back
Top Bottom