• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riley's Gun Shop - Hooksett NH

they probably don't want to be bothered with the whole consignment thing when they can sell new guns and everything else in there more easily

For a store the size of Riley's, there are very few used guns for sale. Do they wholesale them or sell them on a secondary market?
I was told people aren't selling off guns like they used to. Or they aren't offering as much as they used too. There were a couple browning hipower in there on consignment. A bit pricy though.
But ya, rileys isn't what it used to be.

For a store the size of Riley's, there are very few used guns for sale. Do they wholesale them or sell them on a secondary market?

Used guns are a pain in the ass, particularly given when 75% of the stuff people want to sell.is trash. The political climate also makes unloading guns less likely, particularly the good stuff.

I was at another gun shop today and they said the same thing..... folks are not selling or trading in their guns like they used to. Most shops are more than happy to take in good trades. I also believe Armslist has allowed more people to sell their guns directly.... at least here in NH.

I was at Rileys about 3 years ago and a fellow came up to the counter on the far left and said I am so and so from blah blah's gun shop in Vermont. The clerk went in to the back room and then put 2 Enfield's and a Springfield on the counter and added up the total and said $600. Maybe there was a deposit, but my guess is they never hit the customer sales shelves first.

I was at Rileys about 3 years ago and a fellow came up to the counter on the far left and said I am so and so from blah blah's gun shop in Vermont. The clerk went in to the back room and then put 2 Enfield's and a Springfield on the counter and added up the total and said $600. Maybe there was a deposit, but my guess is they never hit the customer sales shelves first.

WUT? You say that a gun shop actually sold guns to another gun shop???? Without offering any of them to their own customerss??? ZOMG. Call the press!!!!

[rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the horror! Damnit with the capatilists with their right to free market! We need more laws to ensure shop owners offer these goods to the public first! Regulate! Regulate! Regulate!

Used guns are a pain in the ass, particularly given when 75% of the stuff people want to sell.is trash. The political climate also makes unloading guns less likely, particularly the good stuff.
I agree with this. I have been in a buy only mode for 4 years now. Sell a gun? No ****ing way.....i just have a feeling my used beaters will be worth faaaaar more in the future.

stopped by today and still almost nothing by way of used guns unless you're looking for a shotgun. I did see plenty of federal 325 round 22LR though, I believe it was $20.

stopped by today and still almost nothing by way of used guns unless you're looking for a shotgun. I did see plenty of federal 325 round 22LR though, I believe it was $20.

Same goes for Shooter's Outpost. On the other hand, Old Glory Guns & Ammo up in Mason has a great selection of used guns, both hand and long.

Same goes for Shooter's Outpost. On the other hand, Old Glory Guns & Ammo up in Mason has a great selection of used guns, both hand and long.

No Shooters has a TON of used guns. The milsurps are all WAY overpriced though. Anywhere from 50%-100% more than they're worth. But there's quite a selection.

I'll have to check Old Glory, thanks!

Yeah, you're right.... Shooters does have a fair amount of used long guns, but not too much in the hand gun department. And I agree, their milsurp pricing is laughable!

I did see plenty of federal 325 round 22LR though, I believe it was $20.
going a bit OT here: i like the federal automatch. they're rated for 1200fps (out of a 20in barrel); they can be SV coming out of a shorter barrel - good for suppressors. they seem to be fairly clean and cycle well. i'd usually buy them from walmart. back in 2011 they were priced at $14.50. the highest i've paid is $22 mid 2015 from a local shop. SO had them for $18 with no limit back in december. $20 is not bad. that was riley's price back in november.

Work brought me over to the Hooksett area yesterday; swung in to Riley's. All I can say is...WHAT THE F*CK?? I had heard it changed owners again recently, but the lack of inventory was just plain shocking, particularly with guns. If you have been in there, you know where the long guns are over on the front wall by the ammo. Well, the row of guns that has been on the wall since I was a kid is GONE. They had some guy putting boxes of ammo on the shelves. The place had stock in the reloading area, but there were some serious bare spots here & there. There's no way that the Firearms Boutique down the road could have cut that much into their business. Anybody heard anything?

Work brought me over to the Hooksett area yesterday; swung in to Riley's. All I can say is...WHAT THE F*CK?? I had heard it changed owners again recently, but the lack of inventory was just plain shocking, particularly with guns. If you have been in there, you know where the long guns are over on the front wall by the ammo. Well, the row of guns that has been on the wall since I was a kid is GONE. They had some guy putting boxes of ammo on the shelves. The place had stock in the reloading area, but there were some serious bare spots here & there. There's no way that the Firearms Boutique down the road could have cut that much into their business. Anybody heard anything?

How was the inventory of bulk ammo? 9mm, 5.56, 22lr?

I was planning to head up there over the next week or so.

Went there last Sat., and wasn't impressed with the ammo selection. Bought 2 mags and then went to SO and bought 9mm Blazer Brass for $10.97 a box and some .40 SD ammo.

Most of the ammo I saw was in single boxes, over on that wall I mentioned where there used to be guns. Did see some spam cans here & there.

That wall was pretty bare after Obamascare 2 and Sandy Hook.... [rofl]

-Mike

Work brought me over to the Hooksett area yesterday; swung in to Riley's. All I can say is...WHAT THE F*CK?? I had heard it changed owners again recently, but the lack of inventory was just plain shocking, particularly with guns. If you have been in there, you know where the long guns are over on the front wall by the ammo. Well, the row of guns that has been on the wall since I was a kid is GONE.

I was in there a few weeks ago myself and right away noticed there were no handguns in display case at the cash registers. Overall I was pretty disappointed with their used gun inventory.

I was there last week and was surprised as well. Lots of empty space everywhere. They had the Sierra SMKs I was looking for but at a higher price than Cabela's. I left thinking that it is no longer worth the drive.

Stopped in this afternoon. Was surprised to see a lack of 22 on the shelves. It was also weird seeing that back wall bare (as mentioned).

If I hadn't been working a half hour away, it would have been a wasted trip.

I'm worried that the place is starting to leave skid marks on the bowl. It would be nice if someone from there would chime in here.

I was up there last weekend. The sales people kept asking if I was going to buy "or just drooling". Like several times. Feeling pressured to buy something I walked out empty handed. Prices were pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom