Riley's Gun Shop - Hooksett NH

I was there last Friday and it was SRO. I picked up a bunch of ammo and other accessories I found in obscure places around the store. Everywhere you turn you can find something.

Until I got sick, I went there at least 2-3 times/week. Thinking about going up tomorrow to see Bob and Dave and shoot the shit for a little while. Believe it or not I was the one to mention the supplier of the frangible ammo to Jim at MFL.

Nice! Id assume your from the Lakes Region as well? I went Wednesday night after calling Dave to make sure they were still open due to the weather, but apparently they had decided to close before we got there! Bob and Dave are great guys, great to shoot the shit with and always helpful with anything you need, I try to shop there as much as possible, just to support the local guys.

Nice! Id assume your from the Lakes Region as well? I went Wednesday night after calling Dave to make sure they were still open due to the weather, but apparently they had decided to close before we got there! Bob and Dave are great guys, great to shoot the shit with and always helpful with anything you need, I try to shop there as much as possible, just to support the local guys.

I'm in the Tilton/Northfield area, a hop, skip and a jump away. Some time when I feel up to it physically maybe you could meet up with my son and I for some range time!

>>I'm in the Tilton/Northfield area, a hop, skip and a jump away<<

Speaking of "skip", whats going on at the gun shop of that name in Bristol. Is old Skip around from time to time?

>>I'm in the Tilton/Northfield area, a hop, skip and a jump away<<

Speaking of "skip", whats going on at the gun shop of that name in Bristol. Is old Skip around from time to time?

I've been there a few times in the last few months and Skip is usually upstairs but available. I haven't been there recently though.

They don't ask where you're from [grin] and there's no special permit required to purchase ammo in NH.

Whether or not it's legal or "AG approved" for MA residents to buy out of state, I don't know.

Every place in MA i have bought ammo from has carded me so that was my main reason for asking. I would hate to take the drive up there be carded and them not selling me anything.

Every place in MA i have bought ammo from has carded me so that was my main reason for asking. I would hate to take the drive up there be carded and them not selling me anything.

That's MA law, no such law exists in NH. So unless you poke the bear, he'll sell you ammo, no questions asked (assuming you don't look like you're 12 yo). If you give them reasons to wonder if they can legally sell you ammo (due to you being from MA), you may well get turned away . . . lots of dealers don't know (or want to know) MA insane laws and just rather turn all such business away than deal with it.

Swung by Rileys this evening... they had more EBR's than last time, AR's from $975 up (most over $1k)... few stripped lowers for $149, a used Century CETME was $800.
Pistol cases were pretty bare... one guy asked if they had any more in the back... guy said "No, they don't sell themselves sitting in the back somewhere"

I stopped in at Rileys today about noon time, it wasn't very crowded, except at the reloading counter. I was looking for some bulk 230 gr. LRN .45's, but they were all out. Plenty of 250 gr. LFN for .45LC, 125 gr. LRN 9mm and 158 gr. LSWC .357, but nothing for .45 ACP. They had about a half dozen AR's on the rack, but I wasn't interested. On the same rack they also had a bunch of 9mm Lusa's with folding stocks, but they're not Mass compliant so I didn't tease myself by drooling on them. I also saw a BFR chambered in .45-70, what a beast. I have rifles that weigh less than that. I was also looking for a high-ride belt slide holster for a J-Frame, but they didn't have one, so I left empty handed and went to the Liquor Store and got some Tommygun Vodka. [wink]

took a ride up there today with littleman and Dench.

nice store. i was shocked to see AR's and even AR parts on the racks / counters.

i was mainly looking for some 357 sig. ammo, they were out....

so I browsed around and ended up getting some more carry ammo (.40), 69gr .223, another Harris 6-9 bipod, some 100 yard targets and a Benelli Supernova... [laugh].

when i'm in the area i get ammo there, that's about it.

A friend and I where checking out a ruger from under the glass, we passed because it was about 100 too much, when we handed it back and declined respectfully, i turned my head as we walked away, the guy was making a finger shooting motions towards us and sad to the other guy "i hate tire kickers'

And I saw a older kinda deaf man was looking at something and didn't realize that he drifted behind the counter, and a fat guy that works there just kept yelling YOUR BEHIND THE COUNTER... like 10 times... YELLING VERY LOUD...

so i think those two employees are rude as shit.

I stopped at Riley's on Saturday to pick up some ammo. I had been to a few Walmart's that day with no luck (.45ACP), but Riley's had plenty in stock to choose from. I ended up with Federal 230gr JHP, box of 50 for $17.95. They had a sale on Federal Tactical 12g 00-buck, $3.00 for box of 5.

The sales staff has always been very helpful, and very polite. I do remember once in January where someone, purposely, strolled behind the counter to pick out a holster, when he became impatient that the sales staff couldn't figure out exactly what he wanted. Staff told him repeatedly that he had to move back behind the counter. He completely ignored the staff for about a minute, until he found what he was looking for. jryan88, I wonder if it's the same guy, that keeps doing as he pleases?

could be... over all the guys were nice to me.. just that one time the guy made the gesture and comment when I walked away from a sale, not saying the place sucks, just saying that one time, this one guy was a jerk. but everyone's entitled to getting annoyed in retail. I know I was a jerk to some people when I worked at the shitty circuit city.

when i'm in the area i get ammo there, that's about it.

A friend and I where checking out a ruger from under the glass, we passed because it was about 100 too much, when we handed it back and declined respectfully, i turned my head as we walked away, the guy was making a finger shooting motions towards us and sad to the other guy "i hate tire kickers'

And I saw a older kinda deaf man was looking at something and didn't realize that he drifted behind the counter, and a fat guy that works there just kept yelling YOUR BEHIND THE COUNTER... like 10 times... YELLING VERY LOUD...

so i think those two employees are rude as shit.

There are a few that work there that I don't deal with. Denver or Jim(glasses) are very good. With some of these guys you need to find common ground. I've seen guys ask to see every 1911 in the place only to walk. Every single one was promptly wiped down. So instead of helping someone else, 1 guy spent 15 minutes wipeing down all the handguns he had shown. Think about how many times a day that must happen.
I was there today. .357sig, .40S&W, .45acp all in very good aboundance. I also found some .45 Colt that my buddy has not been able to find. Price was lower than I have found on-line. They had 3 boxes of .44-40 for $27.95 each. $1.00 more than I just paid online, but without the $5.00 shipping charge. I'll be back there next week since it is not a popular caliber. I can always use more brass. Looks like they got some powder in also!!

Stopped in there today looking for a new revolver. The guy who helped me let me see quite a few before I picked one out. He was very polite and joked around with me the whole time. I ended up picking one out then while we were waiting for the check to go through he let me try a couple holsters for it to see what fit.
After we were all done and I was about to leave my brother in law who was with me decided he wanted his first gun and started the whole tire kicking process again. the same guy was very polite and helpful all over again.
Riley's and Manchester Firing Line have pretty much become the only shops I go to.

Rileys Gun Shop

I was at Rileys in Hooksett on saturday, just wanted to give them a plug.
I bought plenty of ammo while I was there, 40 S&W, 45-70 and 45. I told the sales guy I was from MA and he let me check any pistols out I wanted even though I couldn't buy them.

I was at Rileys in Hooksett on saturday, just wanted to give them a plug.
I bought plenty of ammo while I was there, 40 S&W, 45-70 and 45. I told the sales guy I was from MA and he let me check any pistols out I wanted even though I couldn't buy them.

I've seen that happen a lot at Riley's. I brought my cousin from MA in there one day, and he really wanted to check out a couple of handguns, since he was still in the "deciding" stage of buying. Knowing full well that he wasn't from MA, the gentleman I always deal with (shorter, glasses, gray hair, usually carries a big gun on his hip, but I can never remember his name!) had absolutely no problem letting him check out a couple of guns. My cousin is planning a move to NH within the next few years when his work situation allows him to do so, and he has already decided that Riley's will be his choice for his "home" store.

Very rude and unfriendly salesperson - do not recommend

I have been a costumer of Riley's Sport Shop for about two years. I used to purchase reloading supplies, ammo and use them to perform FFL transfers. The service has always been good, until today. I went there to ask them if they would receive a pistol I am purchasing for another outfit (out of State). A gentleman (can hardly be called that...) with black hair and glasses (owner?) asked me if the gun was new or used. I said: new. He then proceeded to tell me that he would not receive it for me or perform the transfer and that if I did not want to have ir ordered from them I should go away. I advised him that I was just purchasing the gun from another store because his price is almost $250 higher for the same gun. He proceeded to gesticulate and use mumbled profanity - I left.
I believe in dealing with friendly, courteous people. All that he had to say was " I am sorry Sr., but it is our store's policy not to receive new firearms from other outfits" - I would have understood and remained their client.
This shop practices excessively high prices and you are in risk of having to deal with that kind of person.
By the way - the same 12 gauge federal birdshot that they sell for $9.50 per box can be found at Wallmart for less than $6.00

I stopped by when I saw their "Black Gun Sale" since they are local to me just to see what they had. They do have decent selection on firearms and accessories, but their prices are crazy. There place is always packed though, so I guess they're doing something right.

They have had some decent prices on XM193 rounds in the past though. I remember paying $99 for 500 round boxes just a couple years ago. I actually picked up a couple 900 round boxes for ~$330/ea right in the middle of the craze when 1k round boxes were nearing $500 online.

Is the guy with the glasses the owner, or something?

A gentleman (can hardly be called that...) with black hair and glasses (owner?) asked me if the gun was new or used. I said: new. He then proceeded to tell me that he would not receive it for me or perform the transfer and that if I did not want to have ir ordered from them I should go away. I advised him that I was just purchasing the gun from another store because his price is almost $250 higher for the same gun. He proceeded to gesticulate and use mumbled profanity

Was it the guy who wears the half glasses? Is he the owner, or something? I had a funny experience with him a few years ago on an ammo purchase. I was buying two cases of 12 ga. He rang it up with the box price. When I asked about getting a case price (which I got on a previous purchase) he was insultingly dismissive. Maybe he was having a bad day, but I didn't understand where his attitude was coming from. If the price or the policy changed -- just explain politely, and I'm good with it. There's no reason to get in a snit. I told him thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited:
You know, I've been going to Riley's for 30 years now, and with the exception of one doofus who's no longer there, I've had nothing but good experiences. Guess I'm just lucky. [wink]

Went to Riley's today, not the first time I have been there, but the first time I bought anything. I'm just starting off reloading 357 and they had cast bullets, primers and powder all in stock, and at fair prices.

I asked them if they could help me transfer a rifle from me (a MA resident) to a buddy (a NH resident) and the guy behind the counter told me "Yeah, if you want to go to Federal prison." I've never been back.

Back
Top Bottom