• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riley's Gun Shop - Hooksett NH

There are a lot of people that are happy with Riley's, I am not. I'm sure that the biggest reason for this is that I remember how it was when Dick Riley owned Riley's. BIG difference between now, and then! I only buy reloading supplies and .22LR ammo from them.... I find their new gun prices high and their newer used gun prices equal to what I can buy them for new. Their reloading supplies and knowledgeable help has gone from exeptional to sub-standard, though their prices are close to Midway's...very reasonable for a local shop. You can also reduce your time there, if you wish, buy giving them part numbers/model numbers. If you don't they'll just spend an hour looking all of them up.

FWIW,
-Marksman

Went up there this afternoon. Bored as hell so I drove up in the rain.

Yes, the store is open on Sundays. Thats major points right there.

It was busy as hell, but I only had to wait a few minutes before I could
talk to someone there.

Some of the ammo was priced pretty reasonable, in line with FS minus the
tax, of course. Some of it was a bit over the top. It seemed like some
stuff was budget priced and some stuff with marked up heavily.

An example of a really good price is $15 for a box of Fed Gold Medal match
.308... in MA the same stuff goes for like $18/box at FS.

One thing that I noticed a lack of, was military surplus ammo. They didn't
seem to have a lot of that hanging around. The shop definitely seems
hunting oriented, as far as the ammo selection goes.

The best part about the place is there is EVERYTHING in there. They even
have a large selection of safes and a TON of reloading supplies. They also
have a bunch of cases and -high quality- pistol rugs.

The worst part about it is that there are CASES AND CASES of handguns
in there that MA people cannot buy. They had just about the entire
Kimber product line on display, not to mention a whole bunch of other
brands. [sad] (I tried to keep my eyes off the guns lest I realize the
horrible state of existence that I lead being an MA resident.... it was all
I could do not to break into apoplectic rage once I got home and thought
about that for more than 10 seconds. SOMEDAY!)

I didn't take note of too many prices on the guns, etc. They had an FS2000
in there which was waaay overpriced, at like $2200.... but I dunno if that is
really indicative of the rest of the guns in the store. I didn't spend too much
time looking at guns because I was hunting for magazines and accessories.

-Mike

just an FYI, Riley's is out of M193 rounds, and I think I bought their last boxes of 55 grain .223 rounds. According to the guy at the shop, .223 rounds are "drying up". He told me that they are trying to get more pallets of M193, but not to count on them being in stock any time soon.

Riley's has mil surp. but a lot of it isn't on display. Last week he had battle packs of .308 but it was behind a counter not really visible unless you knew where to look. He had some 30-06 (Korean) last time I was there. The Gold Metal Match was left over from a big order that got cancelled. He had a load of 185 grain JHP Federal 45ACP at $12.95 a box/50 for the same reason. But that is running out.

I'll resurrect this old thread to chip in. Riley's is a great store...I recently made my first handgun purchase from there. Matt and the folks behind the counter were very friendly and helpful. Well worth the visit...

Just left there. $24.00 for 500 cast .41mag SWC, given the fact you can't find them in Ma. and the price is better than any I've ever had before I think it's a great place.

I've been once so far for brass and other reloading supplies and my experience was positive.

Just for fun I checked thier website. Looks like nothing has been updated on it since 2006. That shows me about the same type of service I got the last time I was there in person, Slow and useless.

Ok, Ill jump on the review band wagon. Was looking at getting into reloading and have done a large amount of online reviews and narrowed it down to 2 specific machines.

Hornady L-N-L and the Dillon 650.

But I am a hands on person and like to actually see the product before I go ahead and drop my cash something that much money.

So Saturday I called and told them I was a member of NES and have read that they carry and extensive selection of reloading stuff. I was interested in seeing the Honardy L-N-L and the Dillon 650 and asked if they had them and if in fact they had them on display (out of the box -- to allow one to see the working and workmanship) was told they do and when I asked a name of a person who I should ask for was told anybody can help as they are all knowledgeable.
So on Sunday morning I pack up the wife and kid and make the trip, not long mind you but 30 minutes roughly. Get into the store and they are busy, a good sign in my eye. browse all the firearms I cannot own ask 1 question and then move on to the reloading section. After looking around for all the presses and seeing no Dillon 650 nor the Hornady product. I ask a gentleman if he carries the Hornady? I was told no we do not carry that line, (I was not going to get into the fact I was told that they in fact hand it and it was on display).

So I continue to look around move over tot he factory loaded ammo, and I approach a different person working there and ask if he has any large boxes of 40S&W factory loads in either 100 round boxes or a 500 round case. He looks puzzled and asked if I was looking for loose bullets to reload.
No this is not the guy that was helping me with the presses, if that was the case I could see the possibility of confusion as we would have been talking about reloading. This person was next to me in the factory loaded ammunition section and was the right in front of the 40S&W while I was pointing to the loaded boxes asking if the had larger quantities. He then goes to ask someone for me and was told you and everybody else is looking for ammo in quantity. Then he directs me to go check behind a counter where I find 3-4 cases of ammo, none in my caliber. Had they had a case of 40 I still would have gotten it from them, but all in all I think I will stick with the other stores I already shop at and do not see my self going back up there.

To be fair and honest. My comment about not going up there is not based on my experience this time. Just simply I now can compare it to other stores I already shop at and just have to compare travel time with selection and price. For my reloading needs I will still probably use KTP as I can get my stuff and the family can do there thing while I shop.

Bruce

Stopped in today and picked up some reloading supplies.
The prices for powder are great. Primers and bullets are average. The staff seemed nice enough, although I didn't really speak to many of them. I'll be back in there when my supplies run low.

Riley's................

Went Nawth for a few days to get away from everything.
Of course, I had to stop by Riley's in Hookset on the way up. Anything you wanted as far as primers and powder was there. Yeah.......the prices have gone up but at least you can get the stuff you need.
I regret not stopping there on the way home and picking up a few more supplies. The prices are only gonna go up.
Gawd, I love that place.
CJC

I went up last Sunday morning and spent a quick 370 bucks, if they had more of what I needed the total would have been a lot higher. As soon as the .45 stuff is loaded up I'll head up again.

Stopped by Wednesday to check the place out, and see if they had any 700 CDL's chambered in 270. After looking around for a bit and being ignored by every single person that worked there, I finally went up and asked for help. I simply asked if they had any remington 700's. The fat slob rudely replied that all the guns were out on the racks, then waddled off, probably to stuff his face with another baked ham.
No shit they have guns on the racks, but the place is so disorganized, I'd have better luck finding a Remington 700 in my gf's shoe closet. Regardless, I wouldn't go back, unless I could kick the fat POS that "helped" me square in the biscuit cutter, without any consequences. Oh yeah, and their prices are rather high.

Surprised that the staff wasn't helpful. Never found that to be the case myself. Can't picture the salesmen by way of the description. I've been in their warehouse and a lot not on display is stored back there.

As far as prices, everyones have gone up so that's unavoidable. They will order anything you want without a deposit (at least as far as reloading is concerned).

Surprised that the staff wasn't helpful. Never found that to be the case myself. Can't picture the salesmen by way of the description. I've been in their warehouse and a lot not on display is stored back there.

As far as prices, everyones have gone up so that's unavoidable. They will order anything you want without a deposit (at least as far as reloading is concerned).

Yeah, I've heard good things about the place, too, but that guy just really pissed me off with his piss-poor attitude. I try to support the local gun shops, but it's really hard when you have to put up with staff that could care less about the customers.

Don't think the owner will be very happy if complaints start flowing in.....He's a nice guy but he's in business to make money and this doesn't help the cause.

Took a drive up there this past Saturday. Never seen the place so crowded - the lot was just about full and it was hard to move around inside. Still, I found all of the several things I was looking for and was in and out in 10 minutes, half of which was spent waiting for someone to show up behind the reloading counter. The staff seemed to be in good spirits considering they were getting slammed with customers. I continue to like the place and will continue to be a regular if somewhat infrequent customer.

Stopped by Wednesday to check the place out, and see if they had any 700 CDL's chambered in 270. After looking around for a bit and being ignored by every single person that worked there, I finally went up and asked for help. I simply asked if they had any remington 700's. The fat slob rudely replied that all the guns were out on the racks, then waddled off, probably to stuff his face with another baked ham.
No shit they have guns on the racks, but the place is so disorganized, I'd have better luck finding a Remington 700 in my gf's shoe closet. Regardless, I wouldn't go back, unless I could kick the fat POS that "helped" me square in the biscuit cutter, without any consequences. Oh yeah, and their prices are rather high.

I get the feeling if sales people approached you and asked if you needed help you would then have complained that they were too high pressure. Your experience sounds rather dramatic and full of attitude. Riley's certainly doesn't need someone like you as a customer and your personal attack and name calling are unnecessary. Perhaps you should look into some anger management classes and get yourself some help.

I personally know everyone in Riley's and have a close working relationship all of them including the owner. They are nothing but pleasant and helpful. I have been doing business with them for almost 30 years. As far as high prices.. Remember, reloading supplies and ammo prices has gone up everywhere. You can always ask them to match a price on new guns or accessories, and used gun prices are negotiable.

For the rest of you ineterested in military ammo, keep an eye out for
http://www.globalammo.com This will be MAIL ORDER ONLY and will be carrying Privi Partisan ammo in popular military calibers. Presently there is a bunch of .308 in stock, with .223 and 7.62 x 39 coming soon. Also, check out ar15.com for some great reviews the the PP .223 comparing it to XM193.

Damn,I'm an a**h*** and I have never experienced anything like you described at Riley's.One time I wanted to finger bang a handgun that isn't available in MA,they knew I was from MA and they let me check out anything I wanted fully knowing I couldn't purchase any one of them.

The guys are cool IMO,the only small problem is that on the weekends they bring in extra help,so when you go to pay for something sometimes the transaction isn't as fast as one would expect in a retail store.Not a big deal,but some people would p[robably complain about it.

I get the feeling if sales people approached you and asked if you needed help you would then have complained that they were too high pressure. Your experience sounds rather dramatic and full of attitude. Riley's certainly doesn't need someone like you as a customer and your personal attack and name calling are unnecessary. Perhaps you should look into some anger management classes and get yourself some help.

I personally know everyone in Riley's and have a close working relationship all of them including the owner. They are nothing but pleasant and helpful. I have been doing business with them for almost 30 years. As far as high prices.. Remember, reloading supplies and ammo prices has gone up everywhere. You can always ask them to match a price on new guns or accessories, and used gun prices are negotiable.

For the rest of you ineterested in military ammo, keep an eye out for
http://www.globalammo.com This will be MAIL ORDER ONLY and will be carrying Privi Partisan ammo in popular military calibers. Presently there is a bunch of .308 in stock, with .223 and 7.62 x 39 coming soon. Also, check out ar15.com for some great reviews the the PP .223 comparing it to XM193.

This is your first post and it seems like you may have just created an account to defend Riley's. That alone makes it seems like you have something to be gained by defending them. Are you sure you don't work there?

Hell, you're even trying to push links onto other people. I expressed my experience, as that's what this thread is for, sorry it wasn't all positive to improve riley's image, and possibly fatten your wallet.

I go to Vermont quite often and almost always stop off at Riley's for some reloading
supplies. The prices can't be beat in Massachusetts nor can the selection. The shop
is really easy to get to off Rte 93. Just get off the exit just before the Hooksett tolls
in either direction and it is a five minute ride. Nice folks as well.

Last edited:
I have always had agood experience at Rileys. A few weeks ago I was in there carrassing the AR 15's bitching about How I couldnt get a new one. The sales guy heard me and asked if I was from Ma? I said yes and he prompltly showed me a nice pre-ban Colt. Needless to say I left with it.

Last edited:
I've shopped at this store twice. Once I went in to look around for a new .22 handgun. I shopped for a bit but didnt ask to see anything out of the case. eventually a clerk came over and asked if I wanted to see anything. I said no as nothing caught my eye just yet and I asked him what the cost was for an FFL transfer if I bought a gun from gunbroker. He said if it was brand new he wouldn't do it and would only do transfers on used guns. I found that kind of odd and left as I had other errands that day.
My second visit was last week and they employee I dealt with was outstanding. I was looking for an IWB holster for a CZ-82 which was difficut to find. The clerk took 3 or 4 different holsters out of the packages and let me try the gun in them and then try them on with the gun in them before I picked one out. He also found me a few S&W mags I had been looking for.
On another note there was a sign posted behind the counter that all FFL transfers on new or used guns was $35.
I think the first guy I dealt with had his head up his ass and the second guy knew how to keep a customer. I will shop there more often now because of the second experience hopefully I can find the same guy.

I was there on Sunday, first time in and what a great place. Walked out with over $600.00 in ammo. I'll be going back soon for more.
I must admit one of the guys was an ass, the rest of them are good people. I'll be going back soon for more

I was up to Riley's on my lunch break and as usual, the staff was first-rate.

Picked up some 7.62x39, some 12ga. slugs and a couple of mags for my Ruger 22/45.

If anyone is looking for slugs or buckshot rounds, they have Federal for $2.50 a box of 5 near the counter.

I have bought sold and, traded good number of guns with them(Rileys). I stop in there at least once every two weeks. To check out there used inventory, I never buy new guns from them, cause yes they can be a bit pricey. If I buy a new gun its through Chester arms, hes a smaller guy that converted the first floor of his house to a gun shop, top rate guy and very fair prices. The only place that has given me a bad vibe is (Lewis arms) in Bow. Now granted they have a great selection. But there sales help will not talk with you unless they think your really gonna buy something. They kinda struck me as a high brow gun store, that unless your gonna spend big bucks they will move on to the next guy.

I have bought sold and, traded good number of guns with them(Rileys). I stop in there at least once every two weeks. To check out there used inventory, I never buy new guns from them, cause yes they can be a bit pricey. If I buy a new gun its through Chester arms, hes a smaller guy that converted the first floor of his house to a gun shop, top rate guy and very fair prices. The only place that has given me a bad vibe is (Lewis arms) in Bow. Now granted they have a great selection. But there sales help will not talk with you unless they think your really gonna buy something. They kinda struck me as a high brow gun store, that unless your gonna spend big bucks they will move on to the next guy.

I buy my guns from Chester Arms as well. John is a great guy, and his prices beat Al's, Riley's and other local shops 90% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom