• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riley's Gun Shop - Hooksett NH

Just gotta comment on this. Just got back from there, have been going there for 25 years too. Always walk out of there at least $200 poorer. The last five times I've gone there I've sworn I will never go back. They staff there act like it's a privilege for you to be able to occupy the same space as them. I own a service based business and can tell you that if any of my employees acted anything like their best employee they would be immediately fired. Just about every one of them needs work and the worst part is not only are they cocky they are also rude, extremely rude. Most of those guys would be otherwise unemployable in all but the most public isolated occupation. I can't believe the owner of the place allows that kind of crap. The worst part is that they are not only rude to you but the next employee down the counter is also rude the the customer he's dealing with too.
This time I mean it, I am not going back. I don't care how much selection they have and all the comments about being overpriced are true too on firearms, the rest of the stuff is pretty reasonable though. Thanks for letting me vent... It's kind of a bummer. I bought my first two guns there when I turned 18 on my own. I've also purchased at least 20 guns there since, these guys should be kissing my ass as soon as I walk through the door!!! Not a single one of them has ever let on that they recognize me either, which I believe they don't. I guess it will continue as long as people (like I always have) put up with it...

Last edited:
Just gotta comment on this. Just got back from there, have been going there for 25 years too. Always walk out of there at least $200 poorer. The last five times I've gone there I've sworn I will never go back. They staff there act like it's a privilege for you to be able to occupy the same space as them. I own a service based business and can tell you that if any of my employees acted anything like their best employee they would be immediately fired. Just about every one of them needs work and the worst part is not only are they cocky they are also rude, extremely rude. Most of those guys would be otherwise unemployable in all but the most public isolated occupation. I can't believe the owner of the place allows that kind of crap. The worst part is that they are not only rude to you but the next employee down the counter is also rude the the customer he's dealing with too.
This time I mean it, I am not going back. I don't care how much selection they have and all the comments about being overpriced are true too on firearms, the rest of the stuff is pretty reasonable though. Thanks for letting me vent... It's kind of a bummer. I bought my first two guns there when I turned 18 on my own. I've also purchased at least 20 guns there since, these guys should be kissing my ass as soon as I walk through the door!!! Not a single one of them has ever let on that they recognize me either, which I believe they don't. I guess it will continue as long as people (like I always have) put up with it...

I've been going to Riley's almost as long as you have and have never had the kind of experience that you describe.

Their staff is hit and miss. Majority of the times I've been there I haven't had a problem.

They still have a bunch of Benelli M1 police trade-in's there? I may have to do some bartering.

Talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead. I was getting ready to run there when I saw this in the very first post.....

I go up every other weekend to get ammo,$90.00 for 500 rds of XM193. That price can't be beat anywhere,not even online.
I would be willing to make ammo runs for people into XM193

I knew it was too good to be true so I looked again and saw that it was posted 5 years ago. [sad2]

I have only been Riley's once. I didn't have a bad experience, but I thought they were a bit overpriced.

Last edited:
sorry to dig this up once again, but i thought it prudent enough that i actually joined the forum after a quick google search which turned up this thread.

i wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to go to rileys gun shop in hooksett new hampshire. i have been there about a half dozen times grand total and have not ever spent a single dollar, and it's not for lack of trying.

i am a backyard airgunner, and they have a "decent" selection of pellets to choose from compared with wal-mart or sports authority, and generally, i like to help the local guy rather than the huge corporation...anyway, after waiting at the counter for what had to be 6-8 minutes with no help what-so-ever, i walked to the edge of the counter to look at the pellets more closely (i was grabbing a tin to buy in reality). when along came a snappy sales person. "can't you read the sign?" (which was posted even with the pellets). there was no "can i help you", just a very sharp exchange on his behalf. he stormed away before i could fire a word out of my mouth, and i quickly replaced the tin of pellets to their resting place and left the store.

i will never set foot in rileys gun shop, hooksett NH ever again. i mostly buy my pellets online now. hopefully someone up there will realize that their customer service is deplorable.

Stopped in on a whim to pick up primers and powder a few weekends ago. Having never been in there the Mrs and I had to wander around a bit. It was her first time in a shop and when I turned around I was surprised that she wasn't glued to my elbow but off window shopping. Found the primers, sales person found me and the exchange was made with zero hassle. Finding the wife on the other hand took some doing.. she was back looking at the safes. We then wandered up to the handguns in the front... asked to handle a couple with zero issues whatsoever. Fairly neutral experience. I'll be going back today for more primers.

Fitz

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I unfortunately have to concur with the above post. Count me in for all of the above, and then some... the staff of this shop is as arrogant and entitled as they come, and I won't be going back.

From the moment I walked in, I was treated as if the name on the slip said Bin Laden - rudely and indifferently... this not one week after dropping over $1k there. The new rifle I was there to collect had been ordered wrong - somehow, the kid failed to notice the 2 MA IDs and the multiple admonitions that this was to be a MA compliant rifle. No big deal, we all make mistakes. But how they conducted themselves after the fact ultimately forced me to cancel the order outright... not once did any one of the four I dealt with offer anything in the way of an apology, and even went so far as to suggest that it was somehow my fault that their guy screwed up... as if I'm the one filling out their order forms. From start to finish, a bad experience all around... and an glow-in-the-dark example of how NOT to treat your customers.

A word of advice, guys, not that you'll take it: Own up to your mistakes. Had one of the 4 or 5 people I dealt with - just ONE - offered the least bit of enthusiasm for potential business or ANYTHING in the way of an apology for the inconvenience, I would have happily re-ordered and been on my way... most likely spending a couple hundred more on my way out to boot. Instead, I was treated to a display of outright arrogance and complacency that will not be forgotten. As a business owner, this sort of thing would never in a million years be tolerated... and being a gun dealer doesn't excuse your attitude.

Me (and my money) went directly to Four Seasons... who can now add another loyal customer to their ranks.

I was just here last week.I go there a lot, but typically don't find anything i really want. It appears the number of guns is down significantly. The used pistol cabinet when you walk in to the left is 1/2 what is usually is. The 2 gun racks in the back that usually has milsurps is down to one. One is completely empty.

What gives? i wonder if sales are that good or they just aren't in a position to replace inventory.

I was there a while back looking for a used shotgun to use for trap. I found their selection poor and overpriced.
While I was waiting to purchase some reloading supplies, there was this guy who wanted to order an M&P15-22 to shoot with his little kid. The salesman was trying to push him the Ruger instead, saying the M&P was a plastic POS. The customer pointed out the Ruger was more money and came with no sights, was heavier, and not what he wanted.... still the salesman was telling him "I don't know why you like the M&P so much! We will order it, but its a worse rifle"... un-effin-real.

When it was my turn to buy powder and primers, the guy on the counter had no clue that HP-38 and W231 are the exact same powder. (they were out of 231).

I came out with impression that their staff is not knowledgeable of the product they sell and arrogant. having said that, I'll go there again for reloading supplies if I am on the area because I know they will have the stuff in stock and at a decent price.

Last edited:
Last couple of visits to Riley's have been really good. They've done a lot to make the long arms area easy to navigate and the reloading and NFA counters are awesome. In particular, every time I've gone now, the guys at the reloading and NFA counters have been really helpful and knowledgeable (not so much in the know on powders, but great about locating what I wanted). Also, they have even more reloading supplies than what is out (and a lot is out) - most stores, what's out is what's available. The guy at the reloading counter suggested he check their storage room for some oddball shotgun wads because, well, he thought they might have them, just not out on the floor. (And they had 'em!) The NFA counter guy went digging around the case for a thread adapter with a smile for a fellow enthusiast. Let's say all this positive-to-help attitude increases the shopper's likelihood to make the purchases. Stores take note! Like many have posted, I also used to find some of the staff to be surly - mostly at the handgun counters, and mostly where they were expecting tire kickers. Last few times, things have really improved. Their listed handgun prices are still high but they will deal. Reloading supplies were within 10% of mail order, which, given no sales tax, is my "go" line for local purchases. Some were remarkably lower than mail order.

Riley's gets major points from me on all the changes.

I have a love hate relationship with Riley's. I love the store and the inventory, but not so much the service. The prices are hit or miss.

I went in one time for no reason and walked out with something I was looking for but had never seen anywhere else. Otherwise, if it were not so hard to find, I would not have purchased it there. I suspect shooter's outpost will ruin Riley's for good.

When is the MFLR annex opening right down the street from them?

I think Riley's is starting to worry about competition, they are advertising more too... and frankly it's about time that they improved their customer service and the store.

What is MFLR, and where will it be in relation to Riley's? Would like to stop there next time I am at Riley's.

I haven't been to Rileys since last Spring, but stopped in today after I left Near-Fest in Deerfield.
I was impressed with the renovations to the long gun area and larger selection. I fondled some of their Henrys and checked out the entire store, including the new gun safe room and the downstairs gun case section. Their reloading area is also very well stocked.
Reading back a few pages, I was shocked to see the comments about crappy service and employees with bad attitudes, because that has never been my experience there. I must have spent 45 minutes there, scrutinizing everything. Several times I was asked if I needed help with something. I even had them look up a price for a rifle they didn't have in stock, and they had no problem at all with getting me what I was interested in.
I saw a Winchester 07 on the rack for $281, I was so tempted to grab it, but I know the ammo is made of unobtanium (.351 WSL)
Their prices are a bit on the high side, but their selection is pretty darn good. I've been to gun shows that didn't have the same variety of stuff that Rileys has.
All I went home with today was a case of clay targets, but I'll continue to shop there whenever I'm in the area.

I've found Riley's hit or miss although it has seemed to be more as a result of how busy it was then rude employees. I've waited 30 minutes (after asking) and also been helped right away. Most of the time I just buy reloading materials and when I do get someone to help they have been willing to answer my questions and offer opinions when asked.

I visit Rileys ever month or so. They've been in Hookset NH for over 30 years and have a large selection of rifles, pistols, ammo etc.. The people there are friendly, sometime over worked and waiting for help can be an issue with lots of customers looking for help all at the same time. They recently expanded their floorspace and openned up some other rooms to sell even more reloading stuff, scope equipment, gun safes. Nice increase in selection of stuff! Prices are fair..some stuff over prices but you can get good deals there too. I think a lot of the expansion is due to a new gun store openning up a few miles away. There is going to be a new larger gun store openning up about 3 miles south of Rileys (still on 3 towards Manchester) in about two to three weeks. The only real complaint I had about Rileys was the prices because of the lack any other good size guns stores in the area. Well now with two gun large gun stores now in the area, it should be interesting to see how prices go!

Last edited:
Just went there today for the first time. Nice, large shop with an unbelievable reloading section (which is why I went there). Unfortunately I got there at 12:15 and could not get service to safe my life. 45 minutes for someone to get me a keg of H335 and a box of Fiocchi srp... Went to check out and it was $217.00 for a 8lb keg and 1500 small rifle primers... At that point I just sucked it up instead of a complete wasted day... Wish they had prices on things.... I won't go out of my way to drive up there again. The sign at the new Shooters Outpost still said "opening soon" or I would have stopped in..

I made my last trip to Riley's a few months back. I have bought 3 guns there over the past few years, and have visited more times than I can count. The service has been hit or miss, depending on who you get. The last straw was a few months back when I went in with my 14 year old son who was looking to buy his first shotgun. He had worked odd jobs around the neighborhood and saved up his own money and wanted to get a shotgun for turkey hunting. The shop was not busy, and he asked one of the guys at the counter for recommendations and told him what he had to spend. Rather than have the decency to treat a young man spending his own money for his first gun like the potential lifetime customer that he is, the grouchy "salesman" pointed toward the shotgun sections and said "The prices are on the tags." When my son asked again what he would recommend, he was again blown off with a comment along the lines of "whatever fits you".

We walked out, with me vowing never to set foot in there again, and went instead to Dick's in Concord. There, the guy at the Lodge counter spent a long time explaining the different options, helping him determine what fit and felt best, and helping him choose his Remington 870. Say what you want about Dick's, but they earned our business the same day that Riley's lost it. That being said, I look forward to Shooter's Outpost opening!

I have never had good service there.
I went in 3 or 4 times. Never again.
I've bought at Dicks also. It's a pain to buy a firearm there though. Other than that, the service was OK.
I have frequented Lewis arms in Bow, but his hours suck and it's way too busy on the weekends.
I'm hoping the new place in Hooksett will be a good one, but with the money they've laid down in there, I doubt it will be reasonable.

I suggest you try Shooters Outpost just 3 mile from Rileys. They just opened Dec 3rd and should give Rileys a run for the money and customers.
For me, Rileys always had a hit or miss attitude...maybe because they had been around for 50 years and they were the only gun store around of any size. Rileys now has to actually compete or go out of business.

I go to rileys because they have the largest selection of reloading supplies. Tax free.

What there service and attitude lacks their inventory and supplies make up fot it. I assume thats why the place was swamped last time i was in there.

I think Riley's is at a tipping point, there are more and more small shops opening up everywhere and with Shooters Outpost just down the road it could get interesting. As stated earlier, good selection on weapons, great reloading section, hit or miss on some of the employees. I'm totally turned off when I get waited on by someone covered in tattoos. Just not my thing.

I have never had good service there.
I went in 3 or 4 times. Never again.
I've bought at Dicks also. It's a pain to buy a firearm there though. Other than that, the service was OK.
I have frequented Lewis arms in Bow, but his hours suck and it's way too busy on the weekends.
I'm hoping the new place in Hooksett will be a good one, but with the money they've laid down in there, I doubt it will be reasonable.

My experience at Riley's was ok (large shop, good selection, lots of reloading supplies) but it was quite positive at Lewis Arms.

Stopped in today, it was packed. Cleaned out of AR mags and rifles, they had a 2 case limit on ammo, though they had 5.56/223 and 7.62/308 in stock. Handgun selection decent, good number of hunting rifles.

Folks were complaining about wait times for background checks, all the staff was running around like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom