Rifles and deers?

Thanks. Now, to find them. I have a half dozen boxes (at $2.50 each!) of the "regular" slugs, or maybe it is 00 buckshot. Hmmm. Now I'm wondering...

Where you located? I bought 3 or 4 boxes a couple of years ago before I bought my rifled slug gun. I'll never use them. They are yours for the taking.

PS, Your Inbox is full[wink]

+1

from my understanding, the Mass regs are very weird. There are no restrictions hunting the 'year round species with rifles, you can hunt chipmunk with a .308 caliber...but you cant hunt deer with one...

For night time, only .22 caliber or <.38 caliber

Squirrel has a weird rule too...
Red squirrel, ok to shoot with .308 rifle since its a 'year round species...
Gray squirrel, only shotgun or .22 depending on zone...

weird...

The Mass regs are indeed weird, but they go way back to a different era and logic. My wife's grandfather's 1924 hunting license includes the regulations and only shotguns were allowed, ... even back then, ... even in far western Mass. If you research into the history and logic, the discussion back at the turn of the century wasn't about projectile distance, it was about clean kills. There was a lot of concern about weak hunting ethics ... think back to the old stories of fellas ripping 3 or 4 shots at a running deer out of their Winchester 94 30-30s. And there were very few hunting magazines to reinforce ethical practices.

The logic with the shotgun rule was that you had to get closer and follow-up shots were more difficult. Hunters might spend a little more time working to get that one good shot. And with the shotgun slug, a bad hit might have a better chance of being fatal. Once the shotgun rule went into effect, which was sometime in the 1910s, it never came out.

With this understanding, it seems slightly more logical why we can still hunt coyote with AR-15s. People back then didn't much care if you killed a coyote clean, or just gave it a nice painful lingering wound.

Back
Top Bottom