• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rifle thoughts

i'm looking into buying my first "real" rifle.(i have a few .22's). any thoughts on one? my needs are mostly target 200 yds+ with enough bang to take down a deer or something that size if i choose to hunt.looking to spend around $500.00 possibliy more.

Remington model 700 in .308 200 yards is no problem.
I don't own a Remington 700 in .308 (but I do in .270 Win and 35 Whelen), but that would be a good choice. It would be a good rifle and round combination with the plus of having a short action.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I would humbly offer the Mosin Nagant in sniper configuration. An investment in wealth as well as history, and good enough to pick off scads of Nazis, let alone the occasional buck. [grin]

naw...if you want a real kick, get a Steyr m95 carbine in 8x56R.....OUCH...
I'll tell you this, the first time I took it to the range, I brought 40 rounds of ammo with me. Silly me, After about 20 rounds, I was done and sore for a couple of days. But it sure is a great rifle and very accurate.

I would humbly offer the Mosin Nagant in sniper configuration. An investment in wealth as well as history, and good enough to pick off scads of Nazis, let alone the occasional buck. [grin]

yes, a mosin in 7.62x54 is also a good purchase - still plenty of cheap surplus ammo available in that caliber also .

the ting to think about right now is the AMMO situation....if this if the OP's first REAL rifle, the question is whether they will be able to reload for it...if not, what ammo is available in these current times....?

A Garand from CMP is a 3 month wait....and not cheap...

Weatherby keeps sending me offers on their rifles and this week they offered some great deals, So out of all the deals offered this week I picked this out and I'm going to order a .223 Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic rifle package next week. It's being offered by Weatherby for around $550.00.

You get a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm scope with phase-coated optics and 1/4-minute click adjustments mounted on Leupold Rifleman rings and bases a Uncle Mike’s nylon sling and a Plano PRO-MAX injection-molded rifle case and there's also a good choice of calibers from .223 up to .338 Win. Mag.

They hand fit the trigger and guarantee it to shoot a 1-1/2" 3-shot group at 100 yards. The Sear engagement is factory set between .008 to .014, with let-off weight set between 2.5 and 3.8 lbs.

Here's the link to the web site. www.weatherby.com

I would go with the savage with the accutrigger....for the money i think its a really good rifle. I have one in 300 win mag it kicks like a mule but its a great gun.

Last edited:
I would go with the Rem700 in .308. The .308 is a hugely versatile cartridge with tons of reloading data available. Be warned though, you will likely spent as much or more on your glass + rings + bases than the rifle. That is normal, but should be considered.

If I had to do it all over again, and wanted a rifle caliber rifle, it would definitely be a FAL in .308, but those are all $1000+ now. Curses when I passed up the NIB DSA STG58 for $600. What a fool I was!

I would go with the Rem700 in .308. The .308 is a hugely versatile cartridge with tons of reloading data available. Be warned though, you will likely spent as much or more on your glass + rings + bases than the rifle. That is normal, but should be considered.

If I had to do it all over again, and wanted a rifle caliber rifle, it would definitely be a FAL in .308, but those are all $1000+ now. Curses when I passed up the NIB DSA STG58 for $600. What a fool I was!

uh...try about $1600-$1800 for an entry model DSA.

Or a savage. Both can be had in your price range.

The Rem 700 in .308 or the Savage with accu trigger would be my top two choices. If I had to pick just one caliber it would be .308

I am going to buy a Mosin some day, as well as a Saiga or some other AK based rifle, and everyone should have at least one lever action in their collection, and then maybe an M1 or M14, but if I had to pick just one, it would be a Savage in 308.

I was hungry for one of those too!!

I was hungry for one of those too!! And back before the Clinton ASWB they were reasonably cheap..

My Remingtom 700 in 308 works well out to 600 yards..

[smile]

I am hearing good things about the savage .223 bolt action tactical with the acutrigger. Am thinking about scarfing up one of those. Ammo is relatively cheap, and it is really accurate.

I think anybody suggesting a nagant is a plant. They obviously have made some sort of investment in either a chiropracter or an orthopedic surgery outfit. The other consideration with any of the bolt actions is that you'll also need to factor in the cost of bases rings and the scope. That will add at least 200 to the purchase price.

A service grade Garand is $595 so I agree.

As listed above - there is a big backlog for that price that it's almost too late to be sending people there to get one.

A good, solid bolt-action in .308 or .223 is a good choice. Check the used racks for bargins sitting around that someone doesn't want to feed anymore.

Joe R.

Consider your tolerance of recoil. I would suggest a 1903 Springfield that has been sporterized but not butchered and still in .30-06. Make sure of course that the bore is good. They can still be found at somewhat reasonable prices. Use any money saved to buy ammo or reloading supplies while you still can. Second choice, a Savage 110 again in .30-06. CMP is great if you are qualified to purchase from them or you can find an individual willing to order a rifle for you. Given the amount you wish to spend I'd still go with a used 06 of some kind and if CMP is an option, get ammo from them. They have just about the best prices available. Good luck in your purchase.

I am hearing good things about the savage .223 bolt action tactical with the acutrigger. Am thinking about scarfing up one of those. Ammo is relatively cheap, and it is really accurate.

yes - +1

i have one, works great for me at 100 yards - i'm still working on my 200 yard grouping

edit: i have a 10FP in .223, w / a Bell & Carlson Stock with maxxguard finish, weaver tactical base, warne low mount rings and a now sporting a Super Sniper 20x42. it's my favorite shooter and everyone who tries it falls in love.

the stock is very comfortable for me to shoot off the bench with a 6 to 9 harris bi-pod or sandbag / rest. i'm usually off the bi pod 90% of the time.

I would go with the savage with the accutrigger....for the money i think its a really good rifle. I have one in 300 win mag it kicks like a mule but its a great gun.

i'm planning a build in the same exact rifle - 10FP in .308.

another vote for Savage

there are some threads buried about them in the build it yourself. -great rifles. but you can sink a couple hundred via stock + scope / rings and get a real nice shooter for about the same price of a 700p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you check out what savage has to offer. They are very accurate out of the box, and the accu-trigger is better than most. Also, they Savage is easier to work on, should you ever want to upgrade, i.e. new barrel, head-space for rechamber, etc. Savage is the only bolt- action rifle you will find that has "drop-in" replacement barrels from reputable companies, as they have the jam-nut to adjust for headspace, so no lathe needed. The June 2009 Gun World has a article in which they take 2 Savage rifles and rebarrel them, one to a new caliber. And a .204 ruger model which they change twist rate, and a 6.5x284 that they change to a 6.5-06. I only mention this, as it will cost double to rebarrel a Remington 700, should you shoot out the barrel, or decide you would like a different chambering. Savage is tough to beat for features for the dollar.

check them for their reivew of the Savage Rifles.

their optic reviews were also extremely useful for me as well.

tricky about the savage is the different generations - long action vs. short, short vs. long for different years when buing scope base mounts and stocks. i had a few extra parts and i Karma'd them here to NES.

Back
Top Bottom