• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Shooting

So for my whole involvement in shooting sports, I've been a handgun shooter. Now I'm an HSC member, and have these 100 and 300 yard ranges I'm unable to use, so, I'm looking at rifles.

Rifle shooting: is it fun? Expensive compared to pistols? Ammo seems to be much higher cost. Where does one go to learn rifle shooting properly? What would one look for in a first rifle? What if I find rim-fire rifles as boring as I did as a cub scout (what if I hate the 10/22)? Is reloading required for any reasonable roundcount?

Assume I'm not totally ignorant, but have never shot a centerfire rifle.

I like shooting rifles just as much as handguns. I just picked up a 10/22 a few weeks ago, but i'm not thrilled with it. I need to give it a little more time though.

I have been out with a friend who has a CZ 452 (22 bolt action) and i like that. so for my next .22 rifle i'll probably try and pick one of those up. I also fired his AR-15, and loved it. That can get a little pricey, but it was insanely fun!

I've just started shooting myself, so i may not have the best advice, but i thought i'd chime in.

I enjoy my rifles more than my handguns.

If you want to learn to shoot a rifle, start at an Appleseed. You'll spend a weekend firing hundreds of rounds at a bunch of targets and walk away probably shooting AT LEAST sharpshooter scores, all for the small amount of about $70. If crak is running the Appleseed, you mgiht end up shooting over 1,000 rounds.

If you are going to an Appleseed, you will want a 10/22, set up at least close to a Liberty Training Rifle.

.22lr rifle shooting is cheap. The next step is probably shooting .223 (5.56 mm), and for that, most people would go the AR15 route. Not sure of your location, but a Saiga is also a good option. It's an AK pattern rifle, available in .223, for about $400.

Superfly is right about he AR15. Tons-o-fun!
These are cheap and fun too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

Thumbs up on the Nagant. For about $150 you can literally own a functional piece of history. I always get chills when I fondle my Nagant, just thinking of how many enemy soldiers it killed during service.

I like to think that my rifle killed Nazi's at Stalingrad.

The same advise for handguns goes for rifles.Try a bunch before you decide.Most of the people at HSC will be willling to let you shoot their rifles. I'm sure you know you must qualify to shooot at the 200 and 300 yard range but you don't have to use your own rifle. Shooting factory ammo,especially if you buy it 20 rounds at a time will be very expensive. I reload except for 8mm mauser,.303 british, 7.62x25, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. They're still cheap enough to buy in bulk.

I enjoy shooting everything, airsoft, nerf guns, air rifles, .22lr, 9mm, .45, .44 magnum, .223, 30-06, 30-30, slingshots, miniature golf, you name it.

Shooting rifles is a ton of fun. Slow fire from prone is about the most relaxing thing I can do, almost like meditation. You control your breathing and heart rate, try and get into a very stable and still position. Then, for a brief moment, you don't have a care in the world. All your stress and the problems of the day cease to exist, and all that's left is the clear tip of that front sight post. Try it, it's good for the soul.

I prefer rifles to handguns, I think they are more fun. A 10/22 is a fun gun to get you started. If you don't like it you can sell them very easily. Once your ready for more, buy a nice rifle like an AR-15, M1A.[smile]

So for my whole involvement in shooting sports, I've been a handgun shooter. Now I'm an HSC member, and have these 100 and 300 yard ranges I'm unable to use, so, I'm looking at rifles.

Rifle shooting: is it fun? Expensive compared to pistols? Ammo seems to be much higher cost. Where does one go to learn rifle shooting properly? What would one look for in a first rifle? What if I find rim-fire rifles as boring as I did as a cub scout (what if I hate the 10/22)? Is reloading required for any reasonable roundcount?

YES - it is fun. I barley shoot my pistols now.

if you don't like the 10/22, consider getting one anyway and customizing it. -you can go tacticool (AR10-22) or throw optics, a hogue stock and bull barrel for some nice tight groups at 50 / 100 yards [smile]

for centerfire, .223 / 5.56 is probably your cheapest bet (outside of Milsurplus)

get a bolt action in .223 (Remington SPS, Savage, Stevens ect..) or an AR 15. -just like ruger, you customize these with aftermarket parts, stocks, optics ect....

Shooting rifles is very different from pistol, at least for me.

When I shoot pistol it's usually in a defensive or action shooting mindset, so it's very loud, fast and high energy.

Rifle is much more calm and relaxing for me - going out to the range and shooting prone for a few hours is almost a Zen-like experience.

Both are very enjoyable and rewarding, but I think I'm a much bigger fan of shooting rifles. Although it's very debatable (and I know I'm going to catch hell from someone), I feel like shooting rifle is more challenging, the skill level required is higher and the standards are higher.

As for cost, I think it's as expensive as you want to make it.

You can build yourself a 10/22 that looks and feels like anything (that's why I hate the statement 'I don't like 10/22s - because anyone can build a 10/22 into something they like) and once you have it the way you like it, you can shoot it indefinitely for virtually no cost.

You can get a service grade military rifle ($500 for a Garand from the CMP, $1000 for an AR-15, $1500 for an M14). Ammo is expensive, but you’re almost guaranteed to fall in love with the rifle, and having no other choice, start reloading at a much lower cost.

Or you can go crazy and get yourself a custom built precision rifle for $2k-$10k.

I think I've been convinced to go out and get myself a 10/22. Not sure what I plan to build it into yet.

check out the AR1022 [rofl]

[shocked] - tacticool

i built my 10/22 to look like a remington 700 SPS, w / Hogue Stock, Butler Creek bull-barrel and Mueller APV scope. -roughly about $500 for the entire build.

for centire fire rifle - you can't go wrong with a package from Savage in .223 w / scope, sling, bore-sighted and ready to go. i like shooting the bolt-action because it's slow and concentrated vs ripping through 20rd mags with the AR [wink] -it's equally fun but you can burn through ammo quickly.

YES - it is fun. I barley shoot my pistols now.

same goes for me...i wasn't completely sold on actually purchasing my own rifle until i shot my buddy's AR a few months ago...now my long guns out number my handguns by a ridiculous ratio. there are many kits out there that allow you to shoot .22lr ammo out of an AR...so if you go the route of an AR there is still a cheap ammo option there for you without purchasing another long gun

there are many kits out there that allow you to shoot .22lr ammo out of an AR...so if you go the route of an AR there is still a cheap ammo option there for you without purchasing another long gun

+1

A solid AR-15 and a dedicated .22LR upper from Spike tactical is a wonderful way to learn to shoot. You'll spend $1500 for both and be able to shoot all the .22 you like from the exact same platform.

I started as a rifle shooter doing competitions using single-shot bolt-action .22s, and had a blast with it. I now prefer shooting handguns and semi-auto rifles, but until I get my LTC I'm rather limited with my options.

There were days when going to the range for a few hours of practice with a single-shot .22 was dreadful, but they were more than outnumbered by the days that I felt I'd truly accomplished something by being able to score a few points higher in off-hand, or getting my kneeling position more stable, etc.

The few times I was able to use an AR-15 in a competition were absolute joys. There isn't much more fun that I can have than being on the line with 19 other guys and gals doing a rapid-prone target.

Its a pretty damned good feeling knowing that you can put a bullet almost exactly where you want it from 200 yards away. I haven't shot at 600 or 1,000 yards, but I imagine that feeling is only intensified.

Nobody's said it, so I will.

Get a 10/22 and attend an Appleseed. Then your eyes and horizons will open.

I enjoy my rifles more than my handguns.

If you want to learn to shoot a rifle, start at an Appleseed. You'll spend a weekend firing hundreds of rounds at a bunch of targets and walk away probably shooting AT LEAST sharpshooter scores, all for the small amount of about $70. If crak is running the Appleseed, you mgiht end up shooting over 1,000 rounds.

If you are going to an Appleseed, you will want a 10/22, set up at least close to a Liberty Training Rifle.

.22lr rifle shooting is cheap. The next step is probably shooting .223 (5.56 mm), and for that, most people would go the AR15 route. Not sure of your location, but a Saiga is also a good option. It's an AK pattern rifle, available in .223, for about $400.

[grin]

some recent posts on rifles:
Rifle recommendations

Rifle recommendations

Rifle Training

Savage Rifle question

some recent posts on reloading:
Reloading breakeven point?

How did you learn to reload???

Reloading thread for newbie

Shooting rifles is a ton of fun. Slow fire from prone is about the most relaxing thing I can do, almost like meditation. You control your breathing and heart rate, try and get into a very stable and still position. Then, for a brief moment, you don't have a care in the world. All your stress and the problems of the day cease to exist, and all that's left is the clear tip of that front sight post. Try it, it's good for the soul.

+1

I shoot both and love both. One of the most enjoyable shooting sports is plate shooting. head to head shooting - who can drop 5 plates faster.....

I shoot it with both pistols and rifles. The rifles I use are an AR15 in 22 LR, and a 10/22 - both are great (although the AR is an expensive way to start....) 22 LR is tons of fun and inexpensive.

I don't know where you are, but both my clubs hold Friday night plates (one is rimfire only) and the other is centerfire/rimfire. If you are in CT and want to give it a try I would be glad to let you shoot any of my rifles etc. We actually have some shooters that come from MA and NY. The rimfire club is really beginner friendly and a good time.

Jose...a man of MANY words! lol

He speaks truth tho. I've only shot a couple matches out to 600yds, but breaking that shot and your spotter calling an X is truly a zen-experience the first time it happens.

Well, I'm now the mostly proud owner of a Remington 700 in .223. I'm changing my story from "I've never shot a centerfire rifle" to "I'm an awesome sniper who can hit things at 6000 yards."

We'll see how that goes bright and early tomorrow morning.

Well, I'm now the mostly proud owner of a Remington 700 in .223. I'm changing my story from "I've never shot a centerfire rifle" to "I'm an awesome sniper who can hit things at 6000 yards."

We'll see how that goes bright and early tomorrow morning.

i'll be at Harvard tomorrow morning around 1100, gotta zero the irons... will be at the 50yd. -look for a dark blue Dodge Magnum and a cool mo' fo'

-if you are still there, stop and say hi. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom