• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Shooting

i'll be at Harvard tomorrow morning around 1100, gotta zero the irons... will be at the 50yd. -look for a dark blue Dodge Magnum and a cool mo' fo'

-if you are still there, stop and say hi. [laugh]

I'll be the dude in his early 20s with a brand new Remington 700, cursing loudly and trying to zero a scope for the first time in my life. Or I'll be at the 100 giggling like a little girl. But my money's on the first one.

I'm sure Ish will be along shortly to share his infinite wisdom on the subject of riflery.

Here we go again, I guess you must be determined to get this thread locked early too. People did not even have a chance to read about my high cap 1000 yard rifle.
[sad2]

Last edited:
So for my whole involvement in shooting sports, I've been a handgun shooter. Now I'm an HSC member, and have these 100 and 300 yard ranges I'm unable to use, so, I'm looking at rifles.

Rifle shooting: is it fun? Expensive compared to pistols? Ammo seems to be much higher cost. Where does one go to learn rifle shooting properly? What would one look for in a first rifle? What if I find rim-fire rifles as boring as I did as a cub scout (what if I hate the 10/22)? Is reloading required for any reasonable roundcount?

Assume I'm not totally ignorant, but have never shot a centerfire rifle.

Iron sight shooting is fun and fairly inexpensive with an SKS also. Dirty cheap steel cased 7.62 x 39 ammo fairly widely available at the gunshows and even at shops. I saw a Yugo in the classifieds in VT the other for $150. ammo. I recently got an old Mossberg 151 for my son with peep sites on it for next to nothing. This is a tube fed semi. Realy strange looking but fun and cheap. For an old gun it is a pretty good tack driver, though we have never gone beyond 100 yards with it and mostly shoot at the 50 - 150 ft with the 11 to a page targets, can't remmebr what the official name for those targets are.

So after flailing through about 20 rounds zeroing the rifle, I can put a hole in a 3x5 index card on command at 100 yards, sitting unsupported, basically as fast as I can pick up the target (which isn't too fast yet). I know they say it's the indian, not the arrow, but in my case, I think it's probably mostly the arrow.

Eye socket shots take a good deal longer to get my breathing right, but I took a few from a cold-bore, and got some really good hits.

Man, I need a bipod, that rifle is HEAVY. But I think I'm a fan.

Get thee to an Appleseed and learn which slings are the best to use as a shooting support and how to use them.

Get thee to an Appleseed and learn which slings are the best to use as a shooting support and how to use them.

Speaking of slings.. I just stopped at Cabelas on a journey through CT tonight. First WOW. The gun cases are enough to make a grown MA resident cry. But to the point. I want to get a sling for my AR and don't know what the best option is. I have an A2 buttstock and a quadrail forend. Single point, 2 point or 3 point? Not going to be carrying the gun around just want the support for shooting.

I do want to get to an Appleseed also but if I could pick up a sling for a christmas gift for me in the meantime I would.

Thanks

I want to get a sling for my AR and don't know what the best option is. I have an A2 buttstock and a quadrail forend. Single point, 2 point or 3 point? Not going to be carrying the gun around just want the support for shooting.

I do want to get to an Appleseed also but if I could pick up a sling for a christmas gift for me in the meantime I would.

Thanks

US M1 sling.

M1_Garand_sling_149.1.jpg

Several vendors have adapters to place a mil-spec 1 1/4" sling swivel on your forend rails. Get some plastic rail covers too. Your hand will thank you.

I want to get a sling for my AR and don't know what the best option is. I have an A2 buttstock and a quadrail forend. Single point, 2 point or 3 point? Not going to be carrying the gun around just want the support for shooting.

Jose is correct - get an M1 sling. To explain further, the current crop of 1, 2 and 3 point slings prime job is carrying the rifle and allowing quick deployment. They may give some support to your rifle, but if you're looking at shooting support, the M1 sling or a good competition sling is the way to go.

Last edited:
I started off with rifle shooting. My first gun was a Remington Model 742 (semi-auto) in 30-06 caliber, which I bought brand new in 1975. By the fall of that year, I was reloading to provide enough ammo to shoot at the rate that I was burning through ammo.

The reloading has carried along all these years!

The long distance accuracy shooting can be kind of boring for some people. But for me, it's especially rewarding to shoot ammo that I made, so very accurately!

These days, I have added quite a few guns to the collection, and would have to say that the following is my list of guns for fun (with #1 being the MOST fun):

#1 M9 beretta handgun
#2 AR-15 custom rifle which I built
#3 Remington 700 bolt action in 30-06
#4 Thompson center Renegade smooth bore black powder gun << no one has mentioned this yet!!! Fun to shoot!
#5 Mosin Nagrant long version, with bayonet!
#6 My 1970's Ruger 10-22 rifle which I recently modded the heck out of. It's more like my AR15 now.

And, then all the rest

Back
Top Bottom