Revolver Recommendations

Try the LCR and a Smith snub. See which one feels better in your hand. I own a 640 and have shot the 38 and 357 Rugers. Anything this small in 357 is a hell of a gun. Fun and still can carry 38 if you want to. The Scandium framed guns carry a premium and having a small metal piece so that above the cone area doesnt get gas cut. That annoys me for some reason. I would rather have a full steel gun but my 640 is HEAVY compared to the others.

640, in pocket with a sticky side out pocket holster is my 95% carry gun.

My advice on a 642 vs 340PD would be, go for the 642 with +P rounds. If you tried a 340PD with defensive .357 ammo, it is not pleasant to shoot. If your scared to pull the trigger on a defensive CCW, then it's pointless. Just my opinion, and there is a huge price difference. Last time out with my .340PD, the cylinder release took a chunk of skin off my knuckle!

S&W 642 and 442 (I have one) are great guns. My wife has a LCR .38 because the DA on the S&W's is so heavy.
LCR is a great gun also, the trigger is incredible for a small frame--why buy a S&W and change out springs (maybe impacting reliability) when you can just get a LCR?

My advice on a 642 vs 340PD would be, go for the 642 with +P rounds. If you tried a 340PD with defensive .357 ammo, it is not pleasant to shoot. If your scared to pull the trigger on a defensive CCW, then it's pointless. Just my opinion, and there is a huge price difference. Last time out with my .340PD, the cylinder release took a chunk of skin off my knuckle!

I have no problem shooting hot cor-bon .357's outta my S&W M640... Granted it's not fun to shoot high round counts... I shoot either 25 rds of 357 OR 50 rds of 38 from it at a time.

AND that is with tiny smooth wood boot grips. Don't EVER limp wrist a snub nose revolver!

I have no problem shooting hot cor-bon .357's outta my S&W M640... Granted it's not fun to shoot high round counts... I shoot either 25 rds of 357 OR 50 rds of 38 from it at a time.

AND that is with tiny smooth wood boot grips. Don't EVER limp wrist a snub nose revolver!

I just got back from the range after shooting 25 rounds of .38 wadcutters. The muscle between my thumb and index finger is sore. At 50 feet I hit a match target 5 out of 25.

A 640 is a stainless revolver, a 340PD is a scandium light weight, big difference!

i have a 642 with the laser, it shoots just fine. i did try a snub with 357

in it, and if you like it thats great, but 38 is good enough for me.

i carry it IWB and OWB depending on the weather.

Back
Top Bottom