• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver Recommendations

OK here's the deal, I'm pretty much a semi-auto kinda guy but this morning I woke up and decided I need a revolver (I think I have one in the safe but it's to big to carry).

What I want:

1- small
2- lightweight
3- at least 5 rounds (more is better)
4- .38+P/.357
5- easy pocket carry (pouch of my hoodie, jean pocket, coat pocket)

Recommendations?

I've looked at some of the air weights that they make for women and those seem pretty good for what I want.

My S&W j-frame 642 has been as reliable and accurate as the day is long.
My only recommendation is to get a lighter trigger spring.
Actually, one other, don't get a laser for it. It is not a distance gun. Lasers on a gun like this are pretty much just a distraction and visual deterrent.

Mine will do +p but not .357.

Yeah, being limited to 5 round ain't great. BUT, in real life, that a couple of speed loaders/strips should have you covered.
I'd be happy to let you shoot mine some time.

Just got a 642 yesterday. Quality is spot on. I have yet to shoot it or carry it. It came with an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I tried carrying it in my jeans pocket but the pocket is a bit small.
Bill what dou you recommend how to carry?

I've found pocket cary to be most practical with a decent jacket/coat. I'm a small guy. Thus, even the 642 looks like a sizable lump in my jeans pocket.
It'll be fine with a pocket holster.

I highly recommend IWB, inguinal crease. It is easy to cover and, with some practice, is easily accessible.

I've used paddle holsters, but don't like the lump.

I have the S&W M-640 .357 & love it, but it is not the lightest of weight

SnW 640 357 custom made grip.jpg

If you prefer light weight I would highly recommend the S&W M&P 340 revolver .357 Magnum which comes standard with a XS Big Dot Tritium Front Sight.

S&W_M&P340.jpg

I had a trigger job done on my M640...
Very Smooth! & Lighter Pull Trigger Pull !
Worth the $$

Last edited:
Ruger LCR in your choice of .38 +P or .357 mag. I shot my nephews with .38's and it had a pretty snappy recoil. Very smooth non stacking DAO trigger pull.

I'd go against the grain here and pick an LCR over the 642. Do yourself a favor and shoot them both before you decide.

I wanted dao since when I had a sa/da small revolver, I always practiced sa since I was better at sa. Now I can only practice da, which aligns better with what I'd be doing in an emergency.

I looked at the Ruger at BPS and couldn't feel the trigger because of the trigger locks they have on them. The only thing I didn't like about the ruger was the barrel was sleeved, where the S&W was solid stainless. From what I have read, the Ruger has a better feel to the trigger.

I've looked at the LCR and the 340 and like both. I guess I need to go look at the 640 and 642

I have both, the 642 and 640, but no longer carry the 640. It is a wonderful, handsome gun, but with it's stretched frame and cylinder, slightly longer barrel, and steel construction, the added weight and size was just a bit more than I was comfortable with. Load the 642 with Speer Gold Dot 38spl+P 135 gr Short Barrel Hollow Points, and you have a formidable defensive weapon.

Why all the hate for the SA/DA with exposed hammer? I don't see a downside...is snagging the hammer on clothing during a draw from pocket carry that much of a risk?

My wife has a 637 that is great. Only +P, though I don't know if I'd want to shoot a .357 out of a gun that light. (She was smart and put pink grips on it to ensure I didn't make it mine. I married a smart one.)

-- Singed an IWB semi-auto Guy

Why all the hate for the SA/DA with exposed hammer? I don't see a downside...is snagging the hammer on clothing during a draw from pocket carry that much of a risk?

IMHO, yes it is. That exposed hammer really will snag when drawing from your pants pocket. If you really must have DA/SA in a pocket revolver, then get a 638:

163070_01_md.jpg

I don't see any use for an SA trigger on a snubbie. I compete in IDPA with a revolver now and then and have had the hammer bobbed. I tried using SA occasionally for hard shots on stages and found it just wasn't helpful. I've since had the hammer bobbed.

My S&W j-frame 642 has been as reliable and accurate as the day is long.
My only recommendation is to get a lighter trigger spring.
Actually, one other, don't get a laser for it. It is not a distance gun.

I disagree with the "no laser" comment. The point of a laser is not for distance shooting but for the ability to shoot accurately without the necessity of acquiring a sight picture. A snubby self defense revolver is probably the best application of these sights in my opinion.

No, it's probably not that great of a risk. It is, however, another opening into which dirt, dust, and lint can enter. Besides, you need to practice DA because that's what you'll use in a defensive situation. It's not a target gun, but I don't have to tell you that.

Back
Top Bottom