Revolver Rabbithole

E.Stoner

NES Member
So I think I might have a(nother) problem.

Last week I went to the store to buy ammo and left with a new 6" S&W 686.
I have really never been into revolvers, having this puppy in my hands completely changed my mind.
I took it to the range on the way home and was only planing on shooting 100 rounds, but ended up shooting 400.
So much fun.
My two gripes were that trigger was really heavy (DA 12.5 lbs, S.A 6lbs) and I had a really hard time picking up the red sight ramp against a black or dark target.
At first I was just going to change the front sight and get some lighter powered springs, but I couldn't stop there. For those who don't like modifications turn away now....

-Swapped out both front and rear sights with a HiViz front and an LPA TXT blacked out target rear.

-Dropped in a Wilson Combat main spring and a #13 trigger return spring.

-Honed and deburred all the internal mating surfaces (minus the single action sear). The most difficult part was properly seating the side plate which was really not fit well from the factory. The back surface chamfering was not complete an it there was significant interference when reinstalling which is really a pain in the ass when you are trying to not to bugger up the outside edge and keep the plate fitting seamlessly.

-Added a Hogue extended cylinder release which I reshaped and refinished to match the frame. I might add horizontal checkering to make it a little grippier.

-Finally slapped on a pair of Hogue Colobolo checkered grips which are ergonomically a much better fit than the rubber grips with the finger grooves.

The end result is a gun with buttery smooth 7.5 lbs DA and a crispy 3.75 lb single action. The sights are also a total slamdunk and well worth the butt-clenching experience of fitting and drilling a front sight pin hole.
I am still debating if it is worth the trouble while to swap out out the MIM trigger, hammer, cylinder stop with tool steel parts although I am not sure that there is really any difference.

The next big decision am trying to decide what the next revolver should be.
I am torn between a smaller 38/.357 2"-4" J or K frame or step up to a 44 Mag with a 629 or Classic/Vintage 29.
I already have a 37 airweight and a Model 17 K22.

finshed686.jpg 686_2.jpg HiViz.jpg

Last edited:
Have you started reloading ammo yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Because there is no cure for what ails you.

Not yet, but have started saving my brass so it probably only a matter of time.
9mm is so much cheaper to shoot, but it's also easier to shoot WAY faster. So it's a wash.

Very cool. I'm picking up a 686+ tomorrow. I definitely have the revolver bug. Picked up a Ruger Vaquero in January and a SP101 in March. The Vaquero is really nice but may end up trading that out.
I changed the springs and added a houge grip to the SP 101 and what a delight it is. The 2.25" barrel is great and I can shoot 357 mag all day with it.
Also have a model 29-10 that hasn't been walked in a while. Time to get these wheel guns rollin.

Next revolver should absolutely be a 627 PC. 5" barrel, 8 shots of .357, milled for moonclips, all goodness. It also uses the quick change front sight so swapping them out is easier.

Don't change the trigger - a non-MIM will not be a drop in, and there is absolutely 0 benefit. Ditto on the cylinder stop. The cylinder will peen before the stop wears appreciably. Only other think you might consider is having TK cut the cylinder for moonclips.

My other personal favorites are the 929, and my 5" 629 that I had cut for moonclips - I run everything from light 44 Russian loads for plates to 44 mags for silhouettes through that gun.

Great choice on the LPA too! Favorite rear sight I've tried so far.

Nice gun. I've been really thinking about getting a nice revolver. I'm not a huge fan of the new smiths with the stupid key locks on the hammer, the gritty, heavy actions and the ugly full length underlugs. A nice 6" model 19 would really scratch the itch for me. Or a python, but thats way out of my league. The 19's have awesome fit and finish and the stock actions are great with no mods really being necessary.

Next revolver should absolutely be a 627 PC. 5" barrel, 8 shots of .357, milled for moonclips, all goodness. It also uses the quick change front sight so swapping them out is easier.

Don't change the trigger - a non-MIM will not be a drop in, and there is absolutely 0 benefit. Ditto on the cylinder stop. The cylinder will peen before the stop wears appreciably. Only other think you might consider is having TK cut the cylinder for moonclips.

My other personal favorites are the 929, and my 5" 629 that I had cut for moonclips - I run everything from light 44 Russian loads for plates to 44 mags for silhouettes through that gun.

Great choice on the LPA too! Favorite rear sight I've tried so far.

I like the way you think!
I am also contemplating about a 586 L-Comp PC which might be a more practical gun and is pretty badass.

I cant see any benefits to the trigger other than aesthetics. All of the milled parts would have to be fitted (which is half the fun for me) and I could much easily reprofile the stock trigger, but I think I'm just going to leave it alone and call this one done (until I get the next hair across my ass).

Last edited:
Nice gun. I've been really thinking about getting a nice revolver. I'm not a huge fan of the new smiths with the stupid key locks on the hammer, the gritty, heavy actions and the ugly full length underlugs. A nice 6" model 19 would really scratch the itch for me. Or a python, but thats way out of my league. The 19's have awesome fit and finish and the stock actions are great with no mods really being necessary.
I am always on the hunt for an old model 19 or 29 to get that lucky feeling.
I would love a python, but I really need both my kidneys and couldn't sell THAT much blood. Colt would be insane not to reproduce that snake gun. The market is out of control for them.

Nice work! Next definitely needs to be a 29 or 629. 44Mag is a whole different animal. Though if you want to go big bore pick yourself up a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull or S&W 500. If you do though you'd better start reloading or convince GoodWillHunting to sell his kidney and give you some of the money.

My recommendations for your next revolver:
1) S&W 617 which is a 10 shot .22 revolver
2) Ruger Blackhawk, single-action .44

.22's are just fun, and in a revolver can't be beat for plinking.
The Ruger blackhawk is seriously over-engineered, fits my hand well and is fun to shoot.

Nice work! Looks great.

~30 years ago I was given a 686 as a gift & based on a recommendation I took it to Nu-Line Guns in Missouri for blueprinting & a trigger job. It has been absolutely flawless, with tack-driving accuracy, and is just as tight as it came from the shop. May you have 30 years and more of good service from yours.

I've only owned 1 revolver, which I traded for a shotgun. I recently got the itch for a new one. It looks good, good job with the mods.

I am impressed and second the 617 recommendation (in 4"). Only downside is cleaning it :)

You need a 629 or 29. My . 44 magnums always come to the range with me.
With all the mods you made to your 686 I think you would be happier with the more refined Smith&Wesson revolvers. I have a Ruger RedHawk in .44 magnum and enjoy shooting it but it is a different animal than the 629/29 revolvers.

If you like the classic 629's, watch for a Monson made Dan Wesson 44VH.

001 DW 44VH.jpg

1 sighter shot at left, followed by 12 shots from 25 yards on the NRA B-8 target. I need to take it out this weekend...

Colt would be insane not to reproduce that snake gun. The market is out of control for them.

Not gonna happen. Case in Point: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/foghorn/bankrupt-colt-lays-off-custom-shop-employees-larger-scope-rumored/

I've heard this from sources as well. Gunsmiths used to make the snake guns. All colt seems to have left are CNC operators who could produce rough guns, but without a custom shop full of gunsmiths to do the final finish work, the guns will leave the factory rough, which aint what python buyers want.

time for a 629. once you go 44 mag, you never go back.

- - - Updated - - -

You need a 629 or 29. My . 44 magnums always come to the range with me.
With all the mods you made to your 686 I think you would be happier with the more refined Smith&Wesson revolvers. I have a Ruger RedHawk in .44 magnum and enjoy shooting it but it is a different animal than the 629/29 revolvers.

^this. something about the 44 magnum cartridge just feels right. it's powerful and badass yet not retarded like a 460 or 500. 44mag is straight classy. my wife loves shooting it too.

Wheelguns are sexy. I prefer them over semi-autos. Look, feel, and function in my hand, can't be beat.

time for a 629. once you go 44 mag, you never go back.

- - - Updated - - -

^this. something about the 44 magnum cartridge just feels right. it's powerful and badass yet not retarded like a 460 or 500. 44mag is straight classy. my wife loves shooting it too.

Yup. I think 44 Mag is probably my upper threshold and there is still some semblance of practicality and a heaping helping of badass novelty.
The times that i've shot 460 or 500, It wasn't really all that fun and considering I dont have a practical need, the price per shot is full-retard.
The 686 is a pleasure to shoot both 38S and .357 Mag. I got it to the range last night with all the mods and fed it 300 rounds and didn't want to go home. The action is sublime and the sights are like lasers. I'm in love!

Last edited:
If you don't reload, consider a .22 until you start. Shoot both single action and double action revolvers if you have the opportunity. This will help you determine which grip shape you prefer.

Wheel guns are more of an art form IMO. I prefer blue over SS. If you reload you can experiment a lot with charges and powders.

This reminds me to go find some .44spl.

Last edited:
It happened again...

The plan was to go to the store, buy ammo and ask about ordering one of these.
The plan changed when there was one sitting in the case, I had no choice really.
Plus, with all of the snowflakes around, I figured I needed to be a little more PC. [laugh]
I'm going to leave it pretty much as it is, but maybe swap out the springs. The trigger is pretty darn heavy (12Lb DA, 4.5 SA) but we'll see how she shoots.

586_L-Comp.jpg

My recommendations for your next revolver:
1) S&W 617 which is a 10 shot .22 revolver
2) Ruger Blackhawk, single-action .44

.22's are just fun, and in a revolver can't be beat for plinking.
The Ruger blackhawk is seriously over-engineered, fits my hand well and is fun to shoot.

617. It's a great gun. Not cheap but so nice to shoot

I've got my grandfathers 60's Model 37. It's a great little pistol, he kept in his desk for 20-30 year's and it is essentially brand new. I might pick up a stainless version someday for carry and range fun.

attachment.php

Nice gun, but it looks weird with the front sight so far back for the comp slits. Bet it shoots nice though. Enjoy and post back.

Nice gun, but it looks weird with the front sight so far back for the comp slits. Bet it shoots nice though. Enjoy and post back.

Haha, it looks like someone took a bite out of the apple. Not sure how I feel about the sights yet.
The fronts have a black ramp with a Trijicon tritium vial and the rears are all black. I dont really want put fibers in this one, but the only other option seems to be XS-big dots. I really wish Trijicon made Yellow HD's for revolvers!
I'll take it to the range tonight and report back.

The front sight does look strange back there but if it wasn't behind the ports, it would turn gray and become difficult to see after a few shots. My Super Blackhawk is Magna Ported and the crap that comes out of the ports turns the front sight gray.

Back
Top Bottom