• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 - Best carry revolver?

The no-hillary-hole 642 didn't make the top ten? I guess you can lump it with the 442. I'll throw a vote in for a 2.25 inch SP101 in 38+P. Easy purse carry for someone recoil sensitive and/or difficult to rack a semi slide.

Kimber K6s? If you want the .357.
I absolutely love my K6s! Although I haven't seen, held or tried one out, Kimber now has the K6xs, which is lighter, maybe a little smaller? but it can't handle .357 magnum, only .38spec and +P.

k6xs-503x505_1.png

Frank

For me, wanting more than 5 shots out of a carry revolver just makes me carry a semiauto instead rather than seek out an uber expensive solution in revolver land. The 442/642 is plenty light and accurate for a carry revolver. I don't want to shoot anything lighter, thank you very much. If you must have .357M, the model 60 or SP101 is as light as I would ever want to go. I have an SP101 3". That's OK, and I have carried it, but at its weight and thickness, I could have my 10+1 M&P 9c, the first carry gun I ever purchased, on me instead.

Ruger LCRx in .38+P with 3 inch barrel. If I'm going anywhere with a high potential to actually need it, I'll take the P365 or Wilson EDC-X9. But for everyday local trips, I love the lightweight small LCR. It's also great for local hiking in NH: enough to be usable in an emergency, but not too much to weigh you down.

Is .327 widely available now? Not sure why the affinity for that.
Always a 6 shooter and goes from mild that makes .38 feel like .357 to wild that gives .357 a run for its money. .32 Mag is very much the sweet spot, if a manufacturer has the balls to make a load hot enough the bullets can expand and penetrate.

Ammo will always be a PITA to find.

Always a 6 shooter and goes from mild that makes .38 feel like .357 to wild that gives .357 a run for its money. .32 Mag is very much the sweet spot, if a manufacturer has the balls to make a load hot enough the bullets can expand and penetrate.

Yup, my pocket carry is a .327. Practice with .32 S&W long and carry either .32 H&R mag if you're recoil sensitive or a full house round from Buffalo Bore that will give you 481 ft. lbs. from a 3 in. barrel. But the ammo is even harder to find than 5.7x28 and just as expensive (if not more so). Fortunately I stocked up when I first bought the gun, so I don't have to worry about that. I used to be a big proponent of the .327 Fed., but given the current ammo situation (unless you're into reloading, it is an easy cartridge to reload) I could no longer recommend it.

Yup, my pocket carry is a .327. Practice with .32 S&W long and carry either .32 H&R mag if you're recoil sensitive or a full house round from Buffalo Bore that will give you 481 ft. lbs. from a 3 in. barrel. But the ammo is even harder to find than 5.7x28 and just as expensive (if not more so). Fortunately I stocked up when I first bought the gun, so I don't have to worry about that. I used to be a big proponent of the .327 Fed., but given the current ammo situation (unless you're into reloading, it is an easy cartridge to reload) I could no longer recommend it.

I love the 327, I have a few guns chambered in it including a couple Single Sevens, SP101s, and an LCR. I've been fortunate to have been able to amass several thousand rounds, as well as a bunch of 32 H&R Magnum, over the past few years, including quite a few deals through 24Hourcampfire, but it definitely seems to be getting harder to come by. Federal must have had some ammo production runs earlier this year because I was able to pick up a couple thousand rounds of Federal 327 85 & 100 grain off Gunbroker for under 80 cents a round with shipping and taxes, now the prices seem to be well over a buck a round.

I am sure this will get bid up much higher by auction end:

Last edited:

HADOUKEN!

IMHO the smith 65/66 is the best combat handgun ever made.
I've been eyeing a Smith 69 too, because .44 mag and also best model number.

The 686 is an american icon. I also really like the scandium revolvers. If you can shoot a 360pd without flinching you can shoot anything. Plus, if you miss your attacker catches fire!

Back
Top Bottom