• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to install revolver grips to reduce grips circumference on a Taurus 357 model 669.

Does does anybody have any ideas regarding manufacturers that would allow me to get a better wraparound grip on a Taurus 669 357 revolver with a square butt. I read the hogue rubber grips are smaller and I like the idea of rubber to get a better hold. Is there anything better out there?
I like the heft of the gun and the 4-in barrel because I will be using this gun left handed with only two fingers around the grip, will start with some 38 Special ammo and try to work my way up back up to 357 loads if possible.

Bought it lightly used, have shot about 600 rounds 38 and 50 357 loads. Timing is good and the barrel has not flown off 😂 for $250. it is decent and heavy enough to beat someone with.
I am sorry you have to justify owning a Taurus. [laugh] :)

Serious answer now: Amazon seems to have a bunch of grips, I would order a few and return what you don't like.

Yea f***ed up beyond belief, burned. I was unlikely to survive.
I'm truly sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better.
I love rubber grips. I put a pair of Houge finger groove grips on a 229 in .40 and with the right ammo selection, was amazed at the difference in recoil.
If you can find them, I think Hougies with the finger grooves will give you the most purchase for your grips.

I have a 4" 686 - that came with Houge finger groove grips from the factory, and shooting 38 special is almost like shooting 22 because the gun is nice and heavy
And 38 special +P is a legit round

Yea I'm just trying to see what level I could get back to. the weight of the gun, 38 Special and better smaller grips should help. I read about the hogues, they should be a good start.

I love the look of the wood grips, but these grips rock. I think S&W called them "combat" grips, and you really do get a firm hold. Especially if your hand get wet/ sweaty etc.
I loved the combat grips, I think cocobolo wood that I had on my 686 way back when I thought a snub 357 was the gun to conceal carry. The hogues look like a similar profile and I just ordered a set a few minutes ago, should arrive in a day or two.

I would imagine, if you didn't care how it looked, there's a lot of reshaping/cutting down you could do with some of the bigger rubber grips, if you don't find something that suits your needs. I know someone who sanded down a pair of wooden grips to make them thinner and they came out great. I had the square butt of a Ruger Security Six rounded to fit a set of custom grips made for a Speed Six, turned out great too but doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

I would imagine, if you didn't care how it looked, there's a lot of reshaping/cutting down you could do with some of the bigger rubber grips, if you don't find something that suits your needs. I know someone who sanded down a pair of wooden grips to make them thinner and they came out great. I had the square butt of a Ruger Security Six rounded to fit a set of custom grips made for a Speed Six, turned out great too but doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.
I might do some shaving and shaping if they don't suit me. Hopefully the rubber cuts or sands ok if I have to.

Many of the rubber grips are actually rubber material overmolded over hard plastic. I am pretty sure the Hogue grips are built this way. So the amount you can reshape them may be very limited. Wood or solid plastic grips may be better if the goal is to really grind and change the shape.

It's worth mentioning.... I have a Kahr PM9 in 9mm. When loaded with a 6 round magazine, my little finger has no purchase on the grip at all. The spares are 7 rounds and a little longer, but for pocket carry the 6 round mag is awesome.
I spent a considerable amount of time practicing with the 6 round mag, figuring if I had to draw, best to be proficient with whatever is in my pocket. I have big hands, and you really have to hold on to that little sucker, but even shooting with 3 fingers, the PM9 is surprisingly accurate.

My point is not that you should get a PM9, rather, that while .357mag is an awesome round, I never feel under-gunned carrying 9mm. I also gotta figure reloading is a pain in the ass. I would think that a low recoil 9mm ammo, in a pistol with a little heft, and a 15 round magazine would be the direction I would lean. Something like a Glock19 or a CZ75, maybe a Canik that every one is raving about.
Is there a reason you are going with a revolver instead of a semi auto?

I believe the street protocol in this case is remove the grips and wrap the frame in masking tape several times. Good to go.
not too far out there...i use tennis grip tape to alter pistol grips. usually i go small for a replacement grip and build on that with the tennis tape to get what i want. once wrapped, recoil and sweat will remold it into a useable shape. at the end, remove the supplied sticky tab and super glue the loose end. it will stay intact for a good while. you don't need to use the whole length of the tape wrap, cut as needed.

It's worth mentioning.... I have a Kahr PM9 in 9mm. When loaded with a 6 round magazine, my little finger has no purchase on the grip at all. The spares are 7 rounds and a little longer, but for pocket carry the 6 round mag is awesome.
I spent a considerable amount of time practicing with the 6 round mag, figuring if I had to draw, best to be proficient with whatever is in my pocket. I have big hands, and you really have to hold on to that little sucker, but even shooting with 3 fingers, the PM9 is surprisingly accurate.

My point is not that you should get a PM9, rather, that while .357mag is an awesome round, I never feel under-gunned carrying 9mm. I also gotta figure reloading is a pain in the ass. I would think that a low recoil 9mm ammo, in a pistol with a little heft, and a 15 round magazine would be the direction I would lean. Something like a Glock19 or a CZ75, maybe a Canik that every one is raving about.
Is there a reason you are going with a revolver instead of a semi auto?
I've been looking at various pocket pistols after my pm40 gave me too much snap, am going to borrow a hellcat 9 to try and might look to shoot a LCP max, maybe even a tip up Beretta in 32. The Taurus is the house gun which I literally would use as a bludgeon if I have to.

Why not custom make a set? Learn on the Taurus and eventually buy a Smith K frame and make another set for that?
If money allows I would like a Smith again. A long barrel k frame would be sweet .I will sell off what I can't handle like bolt guns and maybe my pump shotgun. I might put an optic on one my Glocks to use furniture to rack the slide easier.

If money allows I would like a Smith again. A long barrel k frame would be sweet .I will sell off what I can't handle like bolt guns and maybe my pump shotgun. I might put an optic on one my Glocks to use furniture to rack the slide easier.
Not to talk you out of optics, but maybe something like this might work until you're ready for that expense?
TangoDown-Slide-Racker-for-Glocks_main-7.jpg

Not to talk you out of optics, but maybe something like this might work until you're ready for that expense?
TangoDown-Slide-Racker-for-Glocks_main-7.jpg
This probably won't work, i can't grip with my right hand. The optic if flat in the front would be for emergency racking or clearing. I did see something on a pistol on the side of the slide that look like a miniature charging handle. It was basically a post sticking out to the side. I might look into that as well.

This probably won't work, i can't grip with my right hand. The optic if flat in the front would be for emergency racking or clearing. I did see something on a pistol on the side of the slide that look like a miniature charging handle. It was basically a post sticking out to the side. I might look into that as well.
that's actually the kind I was looking for, but this showed up first. Good luck, man.

Back
Top Bottom