Results in from Fall season...Southeast District dominates

Titan

Banned
I would have thought that the greatest volumes would have been from the western regions. In spite of the sparser populations, my impression has been that lots of folks travel to the western regions for the game quantities and tag availability (does, etc.).

January 16, 2011 12:00 AMMost Viewed Stories
MassWildlife released preliminary harvest information from the 2010 archery and shotgun deer seasons with totals being 3,644 and 4,435 respectively, although a few check stations have yet to report their tallies. For archery season, our Southeast District had the highest tally with 1,258 deer, followed by the Northeast with 944, Central, 634; Conn. Valley, 431 and Western, 387.

During the shotgun season, the Southeast also experienced the highest harvest with 1,416 deer taken, followed by the Central district with 928, Conn. Valley, 737; Northeast, 731 and Western, 623.

Article LINK

Last edited:
I would have thought that the greatest volumes would have been from the western regions. In spite of the sparser populations, my impression has been that lots of folks travel to the western regions for the game quantities and tag availability (does, etc.).

Nope, more game and more tags available in eastern Mass. Years ago it used to be the opposite but the difficulty in getting land to hunt in eastern mass protects a lot of deer from getting shot. Too much posted or otherwise unhuntable land to controll the population effectively...

Nope, more game and more tags available in eastern Mass. Years ago it used to be the opposite but the difficulty in getting land to hunt in eastern mass protects a lot of deer from getting shot. Too much posted or otherwise unhuntable land to controll the population effectively...
Exactly.

Not so much '...posted or otherwise unhuntable land..." to prevent the most deer from being taken in the Southeast (by hunters).

The islands have a huge population. Great place to go hunt as long as you don't mind the possibility of getting shot.......

The islands have a huge population. Great place to go hunt as long as you don't mind the possibility of getting shot.......

I've hunted on Nantucket. It's a bitch to hunt there. You'll end up crawling on your hands and knees trying to get through that scrub.

Unfortunately, there still is. Hunters aren't taking enough to reduce the overpopulation in eastern MA.

Yup, most of the SE towns don't allow any hunting or so restrict it to be impractical.

I regularly have 2-6 in my back yard, have seen ~10 across the street (I'm told that there is a stream in that area).

Back
Top Bottom