Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

Individuals, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, Take it under your Personal Responsibility

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmzjcLPj7bjmdFBTczlueE1XMTZJX1FmNkpJVmlWMlE#gid=2

I hope this list isn't accurate.
One of my reps:
Fernandes, John / House / D / Leaning in favor.

And this is GOAL's rating:
Tenth Worcester House District
GOAL Rating A / Candidate John V. Fernandes / Party D / Incumbent Yes / GOAL Endorsed

WTF... Something doesn't jive! [thinking]

I urge everyone to begin taking personal responsibility. Don't leave to someone else to get stuff done, If you see something wrong, DO SOMETHING ABOUT, YES YOU!
Email GOAL immediately and let them know of this discrepancy!

General Questions GOAL Staff

SO should I send an email to everyone on that list? I was going to copy and paste the email that Ruger created and send it to them. Is there a way to send a group email to all of them. Every email address I click starts a new email.

Does anyone have a better form email I can send?

I put together this spreadsheet to help us keep track of which Representatives and Senators have told us they are in favor of or oppose Gov. Patrick's proposal.

Please check it out and let me know if you have any updates.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmzjcLPj7bjmdFBTczlueE1XMTZJX1FmNkpJVmlWMlE

Keep hammering them!

I would like to know if it is worthwhile to assign a block of numbers to individual members and have those members be responsible for calling and finding out what the candidate's status is?
I personally would volunteer for a block and I will keep calling and hammering away at their offices until I get through and find out their status.

In fact I have already contacted:

James Eldridge, Danielle Gregoire, Matthew Beaton, and Carolyn Dykema but have not yet received a response.

GOAL ACTION ALERT: GO HERE NOW!

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs136/1101878640504/archive/1112215770735.html

SO should I send an email to everyone on that list? I was going to copy and paste the email that Ruger created and send it to them. Is there a way to send a group email to all of them. Every email address I click starts a new email.

I have a gem that I'm typing up for Round 3, will be done tomorrow and will PM it to you for some ideas. It should be specific to Devill's and Linsky's bills. That Ruger email is useless IMHO for state related issues.

Thanks Bull, I would like your letter. I do not have enough legislative knowledge to write a good letter with out help.

I posted the email addresses here. You can use the 'BCC' feature of your email program to send a note to each person without displaying the entire distribution list. Add a comma between names, should be able to handle multiple recipients.

Awesome thanks. Just a thought, for people like me who would like to send letters, but are terrible at writing them, what if people who have written can post them. Then we could pick and choose different paragraphs, piece them together and change some words. Then send them off.

Awesome thanks. Just a thought, for people like me who would like to send letters, but are terrible at writing them, what if people who have written can post them. Then we could pick and choose different paragraphs, piece them together and change some words. Then send them off.

Here's one that I sent to my reps (both are pro 2A):

Senator/Representative xxxxx,

As your constituent I urge you not to support any of the proposed legislation contained within the "An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth" submitted by Gov. Patrick. [you might want to include Linsky's here too] Any honest, objective analysis of the proposals would reveal that these are not measures which would in any way affect the ability of a criminal to commit crimes. These proposals are politically motivated and would further restrict lawful citizens' abilities to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Constitution. A criminal by definition and by action has no respect for the law and has no intention of abiding by the law. Bans on certain types of weapons or certain size magazines would not prevent or reduce the ability of a criminal from using those objects in a crime.

[edit this part since most are NOT pro-2A!]
I do believe that you are a 2nd Amendment-supporting legislator in Massachusetts and as such I would expect that you are familiar with the licensing requirements in the Commonwealth. They are already among the most restrictive in the country. Here is a brief summary of what hoops one must go through in order to exercise their 2nd Amendment right in the Commonwealth:

• Complete approved firearms safety and instruction courses - cost, $100-$150.
  • Meet with local chief of police for an interview. Chief has full authority of discretion and my deny or restrict an applicant without a reason given.
  • Submit written application, providing up to three references - cost $100.
  • Submit to full fingerprinting of all 10 fingers.
  • Submit to NCIC, CORI, and other State and Federal background checks as deemed appropriate by local and Mass. State Police.
  • Wait up to 90 days or more for a decision from state and local licensing authorities.

Some other states may not include background checks or other measures in their licensing requirements. Massachusetts is already one of the most restrictive states when it comes to firearms. There is an active so-called "assault weapons ban" and "high capacity magazine ban" as it stands. Additionally, firearm ownership has been steadily on the rise while gun crime is steadily in decline both in MA and nationwide.

What needs to be done is better enforcement of existing laws. We do not need any more restrictions on the lawful gun owners. Please vote no on any such measures.

Respectfully,
<your name>
<your town>

It's a little long-winded. Feel free to edit/tweak and otherwise make your it own.

Rep David Rogers replied with a non-committal position about the specific bills (since they are subject to change), but he indicates that he would support at least some type of legislation. So maybe list him as leaning towards supporting.

Rep. David Rogers said:
At this point, it is quite early in the legislative session and there are likely to be amendments offered by both parties in both the state House and Senate. It is not at all clear what form any final legislation might take. Until legislation does take final form, opining in any detail is premature.

As I consider the various proposals, I will keep your comments in mind.

I do support the Second Amendment and have friends and associates who are hunters and/or skeet and trap shooting enthusiasts. I have accompanied them to the range a couple times and understand that many people enjoy this legitimate pursuit.

Having said that, I also do think we need to take a careful look at our laws to see where there might be improvements made.

As a lawyer, I have studied constitutional law, and -- as you probably know -- constitutional rights are not absolute. Courts have consistently upheld as constitutional restrictions on gun ownership as long as they are narrowly drawn and for a valid public purpose.

I plan to keep an open mind, listen to my constituents on both sides of the issue and make an informed decision based on all of the evidence.

Last edited:
Jeff Roy: can't paste as am posting from my phone. Canned answer of 'I'll keep your opinion in mind'. Not expecting much.

I responded " thank you. Please keep in mind that your district contains a large number of registered gun owners and we'll all be paying attention to how you vote'

Last edited:
This is what I received today.

On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.
Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals. That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.

Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue. Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns. Your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,
Governor Patrick's Constituent Services Office
617-725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

The only response I've received so far (that wasn't an automated one)

John, Thank you for your email regarding proposed firearms laws. I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and agree that the knee jerk reaction to impose stricter gun laws on law abiding citizens will do nothing to prevent mentally ill individuals from committing gun crimes, nor will it address the issue of drugs and violence in our communities.

Our focus must be on helping those individuals with mental illnesses, prohibiting their access to firearms, and enforcing the laws that are already on the books. I will do all I can to make my voice heard on Beacon Hill and will work with members of the Sportsman's Caucus (of which I founded last year and serve as co-chairman) to protect the Second Amendment and provide a balanced approach to public safety.

David T. Vieira
State Representative
Third Barnstable District
State House, Rm. 167
Boston, MA 02133
Boston Office: 617-722-2810
District Office: 508-548-VOTE (8683)

I just got a email back from Deval after my online contact email I sent him on Saturday.

My Contact email

I was at the Boston Gun Control Rally at the statehouse on 1/19/2013, and I didn't see you there Deval. Yours and Linsky's gun control proposals are grandstanding, unconstitutional, dangerous, and shameful. Making lawful citizens felons via your Draconian proposals is beyond common sense and logic. You will Fail to bring anything Good for this State by doing this...and possibly much worse then you realize now. Using the states AR-15's to confiscate possibly and disarm law abiding citizens in the future, is fascist provocation, where is the peaceful diversity and respect in that? Shameful! The Second Amendment "Shall Not Be Infringed" Where is the grey area? Goggle on YouTube Innocents Betrayed" Watch it.

Deval's Office Reply

January 22, 2013

Dear xxxxxx:

On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.

Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals. That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.

Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue. Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns. Your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

617-725-4005

Contact the Governor's Office

my response, only received one from senator flanagan:

Dear Atilla,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding gun control legislation. I have attended GOAL events many times in the past. I plan on taking a close look at the legislation proposed before I vote on this issue. I look forward to a thoughtful debate about public safety as it pertains to firearms as we review the bill. I have received many calls and emails from gun owners and understand the concerns of responsible, licensed individuals. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

it seemed positive, but also not really supporting a firm position one way or the other.

My response from my state rep...

Richard,

Let me start off by saying that I support Second Amendment Rights. What is often forgotten in the wake of national tragedies as the result of gun violence is that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens. I think we in Massachusetts already have ample gun laws. As the victim of a home burglary, I understand your desire to protect yourself and your family in your home.

Certainly none of us want to see the events in Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and shamefully many more continue to occur with what appears to be increasing intensity and frequency. I feel we can all take steps to curtail the amount of gun violence in our society that doesn't include additional gun laws. We have to end stigmas around mental illness, we have to seek help ourselves when we need it, encourage others to do the same, and support those who do. We all need to keep our eyes open to possible warning signs and be wary of naming scapegoats.

The reputation of responsible gun owners is being hijacked by mass murderers and thugs. It is up to all of us to ensure that there is an accurate picture of gun ownership being presented and that hysteria, reactionary policy, or fear do not dominate this discussion.

I appreciate your concern and your correspondence on this issue. If there is any way I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Representative Zlotnik
Second Worcester District
Ashburnham, Gardner, Westminster, Winchendon

Thanks for the reports, guys. That is Jen Flanagan's canned response and as such she's down as Non-Committal.

i am sort of surprised given her attendance at the events my club hosts (legislative shoot). we have had a lot of people turn out, and i am interested in seeing the turnout this year--i may in fact take the day off work this time around as i have missed the shoot in the past.

My response from my state rep...

Richard,

Let me start off by saying that I support Second Amendment Rights. What is often forgotten in the wake of national tragedies as the result of gun violence is that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens. I think we in Massachusetts already have ample gun laws. As the victim of a home burglary, I understand your desire to protect yourself and your family in your home.

Certainly none of us want to see the events in Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, and shamefully many more continue to occur with what appears to be increasing intensity and frequency. I feel we can all take steps to curtail the amount of gun violence in our society that doesn't include additional gun laws. We have to end stigmas around mental illness, we have to seek help ourselves when we need it, encourage others to do the same, and support those who do. We all need to keep our eyes open to possible warning signs and be wary of naming scapegoats.

The reputation of responsible gun owners is being hijacked by mass murderers and thugs. It is up to all of us to ensure that there is an accurate picture of gun ownership being presented and that hysteria, reactionary policy, or fear do not dominate this discussion.

I appreciate your concern and your correspondence on this issue. If there is any way I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Representative Zlotnik
Second Worcester District
Ashburnham, Gardner, Westminster, Winchendon

That's great!

Not that it's a surprise, but this is the response from the Governor's office .... what an idiot.

January 22, 2013

Sincerely,
617-725-4005
Contact the Governor's Office

We need to start bombarding the MSM with letters to the editor. Write the Globe, Herald, Patriot Ledger, Worcester Telegram, and whatever the papers are in Springfield, New Bedford, Brockton, and other large papers, as well as EVERY local town paper. I live in Grafton & we have the Grafton News (weekly, printed), and Grafton Times (on-line) local news. We need to get the Pro-2A message out in front of everyone.

Preaching to the choir here, and among our already like-minded social media contacts, isn't enough. Anti's are anti, and won't listen to reason long enough to learn the truth. Sadly, these are the ones proposing "reasonable restrictions" on law-abiding gun owners. They use "reason" right in their proposal, but are using anything BUT reason in their arguments. We can't fight emotion with reason. We need to concentrate our efforts on educating the middle. Those who don't yet know the truth, and may have been influenced by the likes of Piers Morgan and the "demand a plan" a**h***s. We need to get the truth in-front of them in a way that doesn't turn them off. In a way that makes them WANT to learn more, and become part of the "rebellion" against the onslaught of tyranny. Or, at least make us a sandwich while we do it.

Email from ****head Devil:

January 22, 2013

Dear Al:

Sincerely,
617-725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

[thinking]. I despise this man and whole state house. They just don't get it.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Rep David Rogers replied with a non-committal position about the specific bills (since they are subject to change), but he indicates that he would support at least some type of legislation. So maybe list him as leaning towards supporting.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rep. David Rogers
As a lawyer, I have studied constitutional law, and -- as you probably know -- constitutional rights are not absolute. Courts have consistently upheld as constitutional restrictions on gun ownership as long as they are narrowly drawn and for a valid public purpose.

I don't understand what is so difficult to comprehend about "The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Back
Top Bottom