• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from AGO

Dear Mr. _____________

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Attorney General with your thoughts about the Handgun Sales regulations enacted in 2000. This is an important issue and we will ensure that your questions and concerns are forwarded along for proper consideration.

The questions which you posed, however, would require this Office to render a legal opinion. Please be advised that the Attorney General's Office may not provide legal advice or opinions to private citizens or organizations. G.L. c. 12, §§ 3, 6 and 9.

Thank you again for sharing your views with this Office.

Constituent Services Coordinator
Public Inquiry & Assistance Center
Office of Attorney General Martha Coakley

This was response was new for me to see!!!

What did you say/send to them that got this response? Just a statement of your views, or did you ask for an interpretation of something?

Dear Attorney General Martha Coakley,

I hope that this letter finds you and your family well. I would like to address an issue that has been brought to my attention that you had mentioned in a previous press release that you were "Not familiar with the specifics of what candidate Tolman is talking about. The broad premise is that you can't engage in a business practice that is unfair or unsafe. That is the basis of our regulatory authority". However I find that to be false and a down right lie. Even though you did not create 940 CMR 16.00 you follow it.
In the creation of the Handgun Regulations (940 CMR 16.00) it claims that Attorney General has the ability to establish said regulations is defined and granted under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 93A, Section 2: Unfair practices; legislative intent; rules and regulations. This particular section of law does allow, in Chapter 93A, Section 2 (c), the attorney general to make rules and regulations regarding to “unfair or deceptive acts”, but not without restrictions.
As we read the Consumer Compliance Handbook the following legal standards are given. The legal standards for unfairness and deception are independent of each other; depending on the facts, an act or practice may be unfair, deceptive, or both. The legal standards are briefly described here.
Unfair Acts or Practices
An act or practice is unfair where it
• Causes or is likely to cause substantial injury to consumers,
• Cannot be reasonably avoided by consumers, and
• Is not outweighed by countervailing benefits to consumers or to competition. Public policy, as established by statute, regulation, or judicial decisions, may be considered with all other evidence in determining whether an act or practice is unfair.

Deceptive Acts or Practices
An act or practice is deceptive where
• A representation, omission, or practice misleads or is likely to mislead the consumer;
• A consumer’s interpretation of the representation, omission, or practice is considered reasonable under the circumstances; and
• The misleading representation, omission, or practice is material

Chapter 93A: Section 2 lays out the specific guidelines by stating “Such rules and regulations shall not be inconsistent with the rules, regulations and decisions of the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Courts interpreting the provisions of 15 U.S.C. 45(a)(1) (The Federal Trade Commission Act), as from time to time amended.”
Since Chapter 93A, Section 2 restricts the Attorney General to the same laws that the Federal Trade Commission would be, we should then refer to 15 U.S.C. 45 to find those guidelines. Referring to 15 U.S.C. 45(n), we find that this section of federal law holds the Commission, and therefore the attorney general, to the “standard of proof”. This standard is clearly outlined so that the parties in question “shall have no authority to declare unlawful an act or practice on the grounds that such act or practice is unfair unless the act or practice causes or is likely to cause substantial injury to a consumer which is not reasonably avoidable by consumers
The second section of paragraph (n) specifically states that such regulations may only be adopted if said regulations are: “not outweighed by countervailing benefits to consumers or to competition”.

Using the Legal Standards given, how do any of the Attorney Generals regulations in 940 CMR16.00 fall under Unfair or Deceptive practices? Simple answer, they don’t!

Lastly on http://www.proskauer.com/professionals/scott-harshbarger/ it mentions that Scott Harshbarger is a Senior Counsel in the Boston office. Scott Harshbarger was the Attorney General at the time who implemented 940 CMR 16.00. His profile reads and I quote”Scott was the first AG to use consumer protection and safety regulations to combat handgun availability.” Combat handgun availability, does that really sounds like he was trying to “protect” the consumer?

I am not looking for a simple generic one reply to all answer, or an answer from your staff. I would like a direct response from Attorney General Martha Coakley. The 940 CMR 16.00 is unlawful because you state in your press release "The broad premise is that you can't engage in a business practice that is unfair or unsafe? That is the basis of our regulatory authority".

Martha Coakley. Even her name makes me sick. She is like syrup of ipecac...

family-guy-cast-vomiting.jpg

I'm not sure what you expected them to say? "Oh, yes, NOW we see the light. We'll go repeal 940 CMR 16 right away."

They will only do so when forced to by a court, or when the MA electorate wakes up to the fact that gun control in all its forms makes everyone less safe. Good luck on the latter, and some legal avenues of the former are lost to us because of a bad lawsuit in the past.

Dear Mr. _____________

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Attorney General with your thoughts about the Handgun Sales regulations enacted in 2000. This is an important issue and we will ensure that your questions and concerns are forwarded along for proper consideration.

The questions which you posed, however, would require this Office to render a legal opinion. Please be advised that the Attorney General's Office may not provide legal advice or opinions to private citizens or organizations. G.L. c. 12, §§ 3, 6 and 9.

Thank you again for sharing your views with this Office.

Constituent Services Coordinator
Public Inquiry & Assistance Center
Office of Attorney General Martha Coakley

This was response was new for me to see!!!

The Attorney General's office may not render legal opinion! Isn't the Attorney General suppose to do just that? Isn't it what the AG's office gets paid to do? I'll bet the AG's office has an opinion on shipping ammo into Ma. from out of state to individuals. This is such Bull.

The questions which you posed, however, would require this Office to render a legal opinion. Please be advised that the Attorney General's Office may not provide legal advice or opinions to private citizens or organizations.

That's rich.

The Attorney General's office may not render legal opinion! Isn't the Attorney General suppose to do just that? Isn't it what the AG's office gets paid to do? I'll bet the AG's office has an opinion on shipping ammo into Ma. from out of state to individuals. This is such Bull.

This struck me too. Here are the cited statutes:

Section 3. The attorney general shall appear for the commonwealth and for state departments, officers and commissions in all suits and other civil proceedings in which the commonwealth is a party or interested, or in which the official acts and doings of said departments, officers and commissions are called in question, in all the courts of the commonwealth, except upon criminal recognizances and bail bonds, and in such suits and proceedings before any other tribunal, including the prosecution of claims of the commonwealth against the United States, when requested by the governor or by the general court or either branch thereof. All such suits and proceedings shall be prosecuted or defended by him or under his direction. Writs, summonses or other processes served upon such officers shall be forthwith transmitted by them to him. All legal services required by such departments, officers, commissions and commissioners of pilots for districts 1 to 4, inclusive, in matters relating to their official duties shall, except as otherwise provided, be rendered by the attorney general or under his direction.

Hmm. Nothing there.

Section 6. He shall consult with and advise district attorneys in matters relating to their duties; and, if in his judgment the public interest so requires, he shall assist them by attending the grand jury in the examination of a case in which the accused is charged with a capital crime, and appear for the commonwealth in the trial of indictments for capital crimes.

He shall also consult with and advise district attorneys in all civil actions brought pursuant to chapter two hundred and fifty-eight, and may assist them in the defense of such actions.

Section 6A. He may from time to time, and as often as occasion may require, call into conference the district attorneys, the sheriffs of the several counties and the chiefs of police of the several cities and towns, or such of them as he may deem advisable, for the purpose of discussing the duties of their respective offices with a view to the uniform and adequate enforcement of the laws of the commonwealth.

He shall, as soon as convenient after the end of each legislative session, notify the sheriffs of the several counties and the chiefs of police of the several cities and towns of all laws enacted during such session which it is their duty to enforce. Such notice shall include a list by chapter number and title of each law so enacted.

Nothing there either.

Section 9. He shall, when required by either branch of the general court, attend during its sessions and give his aid and advice in the arrangement and preparation of legislative documents and business, and shall give his opinion upon questions of law submitted to him by the governor and council or by either branch of the general court. He, or some person designated by him, shall, when requested by a vote of a legislative committee, appear before such committee and advise it upon the legal effect of proposed legislation pending before it.

What the hell are they talking about? Are they taking the view that their duty is to the state government only, and that the members of the general public are all potential adversaries?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you expected them to say? "Oh, yes, NOW we see the light. We'll go repeal 940 CMR 16 right away."

They will only do so when forced to by a court, or when the MA electorate wakes up to the fact that gun control in all its forms makes everyone less safe. Good luck on the latter, and some legal avenues of the former are lost to us because of a bad lawsuit in the past.

Not at all. But I was trying to force a response on the matter. Now is a good time to try and get answers since she is trying to go for governor. That is why they denied to answer the question.

I have learned from numerous municipal and police sources that under MGL, the AG can only render a legal opinion when requested by a STATE AGENT, that they are prohibited from responding to requests for opinions by the public or even municipal government entities. I've never researched this for veracity, but have been told this by enough reputable sources to believe it.

I have learned from numerous municipal and police sources that under MGL, the AG can only render a legal opinion when requested by a STATE AGENT, that they are prohibited from responding to requests for opinions by the public or even municipal government entities. I've never researched this for veracity, but have been told this by enough reputable sources to believe it.

That is correct (state agent) based on MGL C.12, sections 3, 6, & 9 as shown in the attached link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7oCoDg&usg=AFQjCNFvnbZMKHQVRsO67XIqh5ojpcWszg

Ok. Then who's the flaming a** **** that won't let the A G answer questions and render opinions? Sounds like the place to start to me.

That is correct (state agent) based on MGL C.12, sections 3, 6, & 9 as shown in the attached link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7oCoDg&usg=AFQjCNFvnbZMKHQVRsO67XIqh5ojpcWszg

That's bullshit. The cited sections only permit/require them to issue opinions to those other agencies and agents, they don't come close to prohibiting the AG from providing interpretations to anyone else. That prohibition appears to be an invention of the AG's office, unless I'm missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

If true it should be in a statute or regulation somewhere. If it was I'd expect the AG's office to point to that, not a set of MGL sections that don't say what they're claiming they say. Again though, maybe I'm missing something...

That's bullshit. The cited sections only permit/require them to issue opinions to those other agencies and agents, they don't come close to prohibiting the AG from providing interpretations to anyone else. That prohibition appears to be an invention of the AG's office, unless I'm missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

If true it should be in a statute or regulation somewhere. If it was I'd expect the AG's office to point to that, not a set of MGL sections that don't say what they're claiming they say. Again though, maybe I'm missing something...

Before calling BS, do some research -

"The Attorney General is established as the Commonwealth's chief law officer. He/she is also, in a less easily defined way, the people's lawyer, charged with protecting the "public interest."Based on its statutory authority, the Attorney General's Office cannot provide citizens with legal opinions. The authority to render formal legal opinions extends only to requests by state officials, district attorneys, and branches and committees of the Legislature."

Would you go to your local CoP for legal advice? If so, let us know how you make out.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mIHQBg&usg=AFQjCNGrPaCKIW_ftnbCOUeyfP0M6w_afg

Martha Coakley. Even her name makes me sick. She is like syrup of ipecac...

family-guy-cast-vomiting.jpg
I try not to wish death on a lot of people, but I'd be cool with it if she had a massive cerebral hemmorage. She's a disgusting, vile person. Truly rotten to her core.

She's a disgusting, vile person. Truly rotten to her core.

I consider the gun issue a matter of tactics used by her office to fight a batter in which they have taken a side, not an indication that she is a vile person.

What did, however, convince me as to her character was the Amirault child abuse case. When considerable evidence surfaced that the elder Amirault lady was in fact innocent, one of the requirements the AGs office placed on not fighting her release was that she agree that she could make no public statement proclaiming her innocence, or attempting to clear her name. After all, the reputation of the AGs office must be protected.

Before calling BS, do some research -

"The Attorney General is established as the Commonwealth's chief law officer. He/she is also, in a less easily defined way, the people's lawyer, charged with protecting the "public interest."Based on its statutory authority, the Attorney General's Office cannot provide citizens with legal opinions. The authority to render formal legal opinions extends only to requests by state officials, district attorneys, and branches and committees of the Legislature."

Would you go to your local CoP for legal advice? If so, let us know how you make out.

I'd expect the CoP to be able to tell me why he was creatively interpreting statutes and making up his own rules in order to give himself more power, if of course he was doing so.

Let's face it - the legal advice response is a cop out, pure and simple. He doesn't want advice, he wants a reason - some sort of explanation or justification. I'm calling bullshit on them even copping out correctly and handing out citations that aren't on point.

I'd expect the CoP to be able to tell me why he was creatively interpreting statutes and making up his own rules in order to give himself more power, if of course he was doing so.

Let's face it - the legal advice response is a cop out, pure and simple. He doesn't want advice, he wants a reason - some sort of explanation or justification. I'm calling bullshit on them even copping out correctly and handing out citations that aren't on point.

What you are stating is not asking the CoP for legal advice! Find the MGL that allows the attorney general or local CoP to give legal advice to a private citizen.

Last edited:
What "legal advice" did he ask for?

Have you read this whole thread? I never stated that "he" or anyone else asked for legal advice. I simply documented the statement made by LenS with the MGL when he stated that the attorney general can only give legal advice to state agents.

I have. Have you?

First off, we're talking about legal opinions, not advice.

The USDOJ publishes legal opinions and interpretations for public consumption - is their role substantially different than the MA AG Office's role?: http://www.justice.gov/olc/opinions.htm

I still haven't seen anything outside of the MA AG's own website that would prohibit them from providing opinions or interpretations.

Last edited:
I have. Have you?

First off, we're talking about legal opinions, not advice.

The USDOJ publishes legal opinions and interpretations for public consumption - is their role substantially different than the MA AG Office's role?: http://www.justice.gov/olc/opinions.htm

I still haven't seen anything outside of the MA AG's own website that would prohibit them from providing opinions or interpretations.

Well, in the first OP, the AG's responded with, "The questions which you posed, however, would require this Office to render a legal opinion.".

Therefore, the AG's office assumed or determined that he was asking for a legal opinion. One of the definitions of the word "opinion" is as follows:
"opin·ion noun \ə-ˈpin-yən\ : a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
: advice from someone with special knowledge : advice from an expert" (bold emphasis mine)

Stop parsing words and argue with the AG!

Well, in the first OP, the AG's responded with, "The questions which you posed, however, would require this Office to render a legal opinion.".

Therefore, the AG's office assumed or determined that he was asking for a legal opinion. One of the definitions of the word "opinion" is as follows:
opin·ion noun \ə-ˈpin-yən\ : a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
: advice from someone with special knowledge : advice from an expert (bold emphasis mine)

Stop parsing words and argue with the AG!

A legal opinion and legal advice are not nearly the same thing.

Parsing words is exactly what you're supposed to do in situations like this, not make excuses for the AG's office refusal to explain their questionable conclusions that operate to disenfranchise the people of MA. They're hiding behind a statute and claiming it prohibits them from interpreting law for the people the laws are being applied against. They're either wrong and lying or there's some other regulation somewhere that they failed to identify in their response.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom