• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from (MA-Rep) Kenneth Gordon and (MA-Sen) Pat Jehlen

Pretty noncommittal, but more promising than some of the responses others have given

I thank you for reaching out to me relative to gun control legislation that has been introduced in the Massachusetts Legislature. I believe that it is my duty as the elected Representative for the people of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Middlesex district to listen to their concerns, and act accordingly.

I have heard the voices of the people in my district, and through those voices there permeates a concern over the uncertainty of future gun control laws in Massachusetts. It should be known that I am committed to keeping a vigilant eye on this issue.

Over the next session of the Massachusetts General Court, there will be hearings on bills aimed at the reduction of violence here in the Commonwealth. Through those hearings, professionals, as well as members of the general public, will be invited to testify relative to proposed legislation. This process will be concentrated and methodical, with members of the Legislature taking painstaking measures to present empirical evidence on how we can reduce violence here in the Commonwealth.

What you have seen put forth by legislators, or the Governor, today, is rarely what is enacted into law in the future. I plan to keep an open mind and consider this issue very thoroughly before making any definitive decisions.

I commend your initiative in taking the time to reach out to me. Thank you for your time, and if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Kenneth I. Gordon

Dear Neighbor,

Thank you for writing regarding the various proposed gun control laws. As you know, this is a subject that has been in the forefront of the minds of people throughout the country as a result of tragic events that have taken place, most recently the tragedy in Sandy Hook, CT.

It is important that the issue of gun control be discussed in depth, and it is my hope that the conversation will be robust and evidence based. Gun control laws are not intended to take away the rights of responsible, law-abiding gun owners, but rather regulate the process in the hopes of reducing the number of unnecessary deaths. Gun control measures are intended to protect the public from those that take advantage of their rights and are not well-suited to own a gun. A better screening process must ensure that those who are allowed to possess a firearm are, in fact, responsible and law-abiding.

Gun control is a matter to be analyzed from multiple angles including public safety, mental health, citizens' rights and existing laws. Mental health programs, including training teachers to recognize symptoms of mental illness in students, are also very important aspects of the discussion. The mental health issue is critical to a comprehensive effort to reduce gun violence. Throughout the process, I will be sure to take all opinions and all evidence into account when making decisions about public safety.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. Please feel free to contact me with comments or concerns about this or any other issues in the future. If you do not already receive my occasional email newsletter and would like to, you can subscribe at www.patjehlen.org.

Best Wishes,

Pat Jehlen
State Senator

Back
Top Bottom