• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from AGO

A legal opinion and legal advice are not nearly the same thing.

Parsing words is exactly what you're supposed to do in situations like this, not make excuses for the AG's office refusal to explain their questionable conclusions that operate to disenfranchise the people of MA. They're hiding behind a statute and claiming it prohibits them from interpreting law for the people the laws are being applied against. They're either wrong and lying or there's some other regulation somewhere that they failed to identify in their response.

I'm not making excuses. I cited the MGL that only allows legal opinion/advice to state agents. If the AG is wrong or lying, make your argument(s) with her or her staff!

I cited the MGL that only allows legal opinion/advice to state agents.

The cited MGL statues don't say anything about the AG's office giving it to those parties exclusively. There's absolutely nothing in any of it that would prohibit them from providing an opinion to anybody else, despite their claims to the contrary. The MGL statutes are not an exhaustive list of the only things that the AG's office is permitted to do.

The cited MGL statues don't say anything about the AG's office giving it to those parties exclusively. There's absolutely nothing in any of it that would prohibit them from providing an opinion to anybody else, despite their claims to the contrary. The MGL statutes are not an exhaustive list of the only things that the AG's office is permitted to do.

Okay, you win! (But the AG will not provide you with a legal opinion on 940 CMR 16.00 as noted in the OP).

Back
Top Bottom