• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from Mcgovern

March 4, 2013

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

Sincerely,
james-p-mcgovern.jpg

James McGovern
Member of Congress
JPM/CH

I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning

I've never heard a more outrageous misinterpretation of "shall not be infringed."

McGovern can DIAF.

Oh so I guess his letter is AMBIGUOUS !!
Yup.
I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

Show me where he talks about bans - in fact, he says in the last sentence "The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms".

However, knowing this statist jerk, you can bet he WILL vote for one. But for the average voter, this would sound very reassuring.

I can't understand how he can say they left it ambiguous they left it that way so you would not f_ck with it !
When you are a politician, everything is ambiguous. Anyone recall this... "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is"?

For the moment, let's say... the 2nd Amendment is "ambiguous". It is the job of the courts to determine intent. While I have not read documents penned by the founding fathers themselves (the primary source), I've read enough about their writings, and proper quotations, to clearly determine the intent of the Second Amendment. Citizens should be armed to the point where the government fears the people.

Masterful job of weasel-wording his reply. You can't point to ANYTHING there and figure out what he's for.

you can if you pay attention.

here's what i sent back to him--not as if it matters.

Mr. McGovern,

In one breath you simply cannot state that you "believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm" and then begin your next sentence with "however". There are no "however"s in the Consitution. To say that the second amendment does not apply to all modern sporting rifles would be akin to stating that the first amendment does not apply to the internet, radio, or television, or that the fourth amendment does not apply to a motor vehicle, airplane, etc.

Massachusetts is not a leader in gun violence prevention, take a stroll through Brockton, Mattapan, or Lawrence and say that one more time with a straight face. Massachusetts is a leader in the oppression of honest, law-abiding citizens, and a leader in defiling the Constitution. In the aforementioned citites there are not problems with mental health, there are problems with criminals that the "justice" system allows back onto the street. Criminals who do not have to submit to any background checks, hold no license to carry a firearm, and will continue to ignore the current and any future legislation on the subject of firearms.

Thank you,

Atilla, mai tai and squid-vomiting champion, 2013.

However, knowing this statist jerk, you can bet he WILL vote for one. But for the average voter, this would sound very reassuring.

this.

you can if you pay attention.

here's what i sent back to him--not as if it matters.

I meant that he can defend what he wrote to mean anything he wants it to be AFTER the fact.

Nice reply, BTW. Won't change his "mind", but hey... it made you feel better, didn't it?!

March 4, 2013

However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society.

Hey....whatever he believes strongly....it must be true!

What a dumb a**

March 4, 2013

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

Sincerely,
james-p-mcgovern.jpg

James McGovern
Member of Congress
JPM/CH

Couldn't find a trash can or shredder fast enough.

Same bullshit response I got. Time for a phone call with request for call back and a visit to his office hours.

The Constitution is written in a vague manner so idiots like me can interpret it in any politically advantageous way I see fit. OMFG no.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom