• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Response from Jim McGovern

March 4, 2013

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

Sincerely,

James McGovern
Member of Congress
JPM/CH

March 4, 2013

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

Sincerely,

James McGovern
Member of Congress
JPM/CH

How is "shall not be infringed" ambiguous?

Gotta love these mass canned responses. I got the same.

You don't think he has the brains to address an individual letter do you?[grin] Hell, that letter was most likely not written by him either, staff writes it he signs it.

Back
Top Bottom