• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

renewal

I'd get it in ASAP. See Keith Nichols.

My renewal....After 7 weeks, I went back to the PD, because a call to the state said it had not (yet) been sent to them. Fearing it was lost, I went to the PD.
Apparently it had sat on their LT's desk 'awaiting approval' for the whole 7 weeks. The renewal was not entered into MIRCS before my expiration date. I was not given a receipt from the town when I dropped the renewal (I was told I 'wouldn't need it'), so I am LTC-less right now.[frown]

Since it's now 10+ weeks, I am calling Monday to see if the state even has it yet before I follow up with the locals.

Color me unhappy. Not even sure I'm getting a renewal at this point. [hmmm]

and the statistics will show that there's one less gun carrier in Massachusetts. your state's process truly is horrendous. it appears INTENDED to discourage you from exercising your constitutional right.

I'd get it in ASAP. See Keith Nichols.

My renewal....After 7 weeks, I went back to the PD, because a call to the state said it had not (yet) been sent to them. Fearing it was lost, I went to the PD.
Apparently it had sat on their LT's desk 'awaiting approval' for the whole 7 weeks. The renewal was not entered into MIRCS before my expiration date. I was not given a receipt from the town when I dropped the renewal (I was told I 'wouldn't need it'), so I am LTC-less right now.[frown]

Since it's now 10+ weeks, I am calling Monday to see if the state even has it yet before I follow up with the locals.

Color me unhappy. Not even sure I'm getting a renewal at this point. [hmmm]

Update: It has been to the state and is 'in delivery' back to my town. So with any luck, it should be done in a week. Still LTC-less in the interim.

On my towns website they state to not call the station and to use the online calendar to book an appointment.
- LTC expires on 10/13
- Booked for 8/22 with police
- no idea on my towns time frame
- wait and see

Update: It has been to the state and is 'in delivery' back to my town. So with any luck, it should be done in a week. Still LTC-less in the interim.

Well, it could be worse. You could live in a town where the theft wagon would be pulling up to your door the minute the LTC expired.

My wife has her LTC, my daughter has her FID, so that's a stretch even for a MA PD
Not relevant to your case but it's not a stretch.

When a PD suspends/revokes/denies a LTC, they come and empty the house of guns/ammo/mags. They don't care who owns what. Info confirmed independently from 3 or 4 different PDs by me.

Not relevant to your case but it's not a stretch.

When a PD suspends/revokes/denies a LTC, they come and empty the house of guns/ammo/mags. They don't care who owns what. Info confirmed independently from 3 or 4 different PDs by me.

That's insane. If a room mate in an apartment is denied an LTC, someone who lives there and has an LTC has their property confiscated?

That's insane. If a room mate in an apartment is denied an LTC, someone who lives there and has an LTC has their property confiscated?
Yes, that is true.

Having been a police officer I fully understand why they do this, even though I don't like it.

My wife has her LTC, my daughter has her FID, so that's a stretch even for a MA PD

There was a guy that died of a heart attack. EMS came in, notified the cops, which seized the firearms in the house until the wife (license holder) went with a lawyer to the station to demand her property back. I think the dick PD initially threatened her with a 'safe storage' violation for her deceased husband's carry gun until the lawyer told them to go f- themselves. Rob Boudrie knows the exact story.

There was another fellow in a similar situation, alone in his home, had a heart attack cleaning his guns and called 911. EMS notified PD upon arrival at the house. PD cited him for safe storage violations because he had left his safe open with multiple guns out for cleaning and seized everything while still hospitalized.

There was a guy that died of a heart attack. EMS came in, notified the cops, which seized the firearms in the house until the wife (license holder) went with a lawyer to the station to demand her property back. I think the dick PD initially threatened her with a 'safe storage' violation for her deceased husband's carry gun until the lawyer told them to go f- themselves. Rob Boudrie knows the exact story.

There was another fellow in a similar situation, alone in his home, had a heart attack cleaning his guns and called 911. EMS notified PD upon arrival at the house. PD cited him for safe storage violations because he had left his safe open with multiple guns out for cleaning and seized everything while still hospitalized.

And some people wonder why there are so many cop bashing threads...

And some people wonder why there are so many cop bashing threads...
I think it is more an "institutional" thing than a rogue cop making a stupid decision.

In Eastern MA (and in Portland ME) I know for a fact that PD responds with EMS (maybe or maybe not in Boston, but definitely in the Burbs). In the second scenario above if I were the responding officer I would have secured his gun that he was cleaning in his safe and lock the door of the safe . . . and none of that would be in my report. BUT when you have a handful of officers and a Sgt on scene, you may not have the luxury of using common sense unless you KNOW that all of them are on the same page as you are.

I think it is more an "institutional" thing than a rogue cop making a stupid decision.

In Eastern MA (and in Portland ME) I know for a fact that PD responds with EMS (maybe or maybe not in Boston, but definitely in the Burbs). In the second scenario above if I were the responding officer I would have secured his gun that he was cleaning in his safe and lock the door of the safe . . . and none of that would be in my report. BUT when you have a handful of officers and a Sgt on scene, you may not have the luxury of using common sense unless you KNOW that all of them are on the same page as you are.

In a reasonable society, the common sense thing to do, and the decent thing to do, would be exactly as you described. I can't imagine anyone being so heartless as to say, "This guy had a heart attack, a medical emergency at an unfortunate time. He obviously was not committing any crimes. Let's steal all his shit and charge him with a felony."

In a reasonable society, the common sense thing to do, and the decent thing to do, would be exactly as you described. I can't imagine anyone being so heartless as to say, "This guy had a heart attack, a medical emergency at an unfortunate time. He obviously was not committing any crimes. Let's steal all his shit and charge him with a felony."
When I worked for the PD we had so few officers on the street that unless it was a domestic, only one officer responded to a call. That allowed discretion, that was used a lot.

The problem today is that every call (even in my small town) brings multiple officers on the scene. It is part of my reason why I have told the last 2 chiefs that I could never do that job again under today's conditions. I'd want the ability to use common sense and discretion (just like chiefs do about LTC "suitability") on every call like I did years ago.

Also, since the purpose of the "safe storage" law (at least in the home) is to prevent unauthorized access, if the poor guy has a heart attack and there are no "unauthorized" persons around, why is it even a crime to begin with?

Got the call that my license was ready.

Submitted my renewal on June 18th, along with my son who made his initial application. About 95 days for me.

His came in about Aug 6th, "No Restrictions".

Norwood told me to come in 6 weeks before license is up.
Walked in on a Friday with my paperwork, dropped it off and got an appointment for that next Wed
Showed up Weds, officer took my picture with an iphone but other than that I waited in the waiting area, all of 10 minutes.
They said to call/check in in 6 weeks, and they don't send the licenses out.
I did have to ask for the receipt though. They printed it without issue, but I got the feeling they don't get asked for it often.

I recently renewed (finally in a green town!) and total was 68 days. my understanding is that for green towns that process things quickly this is about as fast as one can expect. i am no expert just an a**h*** who lives in the suburbs.

Last edited:
Expiration: 4/3/19

Called for appt: 1/5/19
Appt scheduled: 2/21/19 (renewal paperwork done)
Called DCJIS: 6/13/19 (was told: "a couple, three weeks" (6/27-7/3/19)
90 Day grace period from 4/3 ends 7/3/19

What a bunch of turds.

Town of Sandwich did give me a 'grace period' letter to their credit.

My LTC expires on 10/15. Went to the PD today and filled out the renewal. Licensing Officer gave me a letter stating I had applied today. He said renewals are taking around 90 days. Not local PD fault but State. Best news renewal was FREE - I turn 70 this year! I live in a Green Metrowest town.

Back
Top Bottom