• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewal appointment

I have a hard time getting an appointment to renew due to my difficult schedule (away for months at a time). My PD is seriously undermanned, they are not flexible with scheduling, I do feel for the officers but... Any advise what to do? Running out of time, I don’t want my LTC to expire and go through the process again. I am in a Green Town.

Last edited:
I have a hard time getting an appointment to renew due to my difficult schedule (away for months at a time). My PD is seriously undermanned, they not flexible with scheduling. Any advise what to do? Running out of time, I don’t want my LTC to expire and go through the process again. I am in a Green Town.
You'll just have to work it out with the IA. Jack.

Call, or go meet, the licensing officer and explain.

Get his/her schedule and see what day works for both of you

My last renewal was like that. Had to pick from a list of available time slots just to drop off the application and get a receipt. Also I green town.

Did you try asking them for the “I waited until the last minute now accommodate me” special?

away for months at a time?

I'm not sure the issue lies entirely with your town, here...

Not sure what the answer is, other than maybe tell your boss you need to come home for an urgent appointment that cannot be missed.

away for months at a time?

I'm not sure the issue lies entirely with your town, here...

Not sure what the answer is, other than maybe tell your boss you need to come home for an urgent appointment that cannot be missed.
Stevie, I work for the MSC (Military Sealift Command) and trust me you don’t tell your boss that you need to come home for an urgent matter. Thanks anyway!

You don't need an appt to drop off the app and a check. Jack.
My previous town, a very green town, made me get an appointment to drop it off.

But they were very flexible with appointments and dates. I started 6 months early, had my appt in a week and new license like 4 months before the old one expired.

Stevie, I work for the MSC (Military Sealift Command) and trust me you don’t tell your boss that you need to come home for an urgent matter. Thanks anyway!
Then take a new safety class (assuming you dont have the paperwork from your first class), and let it expire. Then, when you are about to come home (maybe a month early) call to get an appointment. You come home, go to the appointment, then go away for months and by the time you are back your new license will be ready.

I would still show up and talk to the officer (get the hours from whomever answers the phones). Explain who you work for. The appointment takes 5 minutes.

Are you MIL or civilian?

If MIL, check the statute as there is some wording for active duty away from home that allows an expired LTC to be valid until they return. I don't recall exact details, so it pays to read that section of C. 140 and see if it applies.

Then take a new safety class (assuming you dont have the paperwork from your first class), and let it expire.
No matter how long a LTC has expired, it is only a renewal as long as he had a MSP or was grandfathered by having an active LTC on 6/1/1998. Of course some PDs don't abide by the law, but that is what is in the law.

Back
Top Bottom