Remington slump

While the gun business has always been cyclical usually with the economy. Fear and loss of rights never played a huge factor very much until the AWB of 94. After that people started buying on speculations and the ebb and flow got bigger. Timed with boomers near retirement age and at the peak of wealth, now we have a bubble. Then, we recently fired the best gun salesman of the last 8 years and hired a guy who respects our rights. Along with Boomers starting to age out of the market and younger generations who are less likely to pick up the sport.....there is a slump.

Gun companies that don't plan for rainy years will fail or restructure. Not the first time, won't be the last.

While the gun business has always been cyclical usually with the economy. Fear and loss of rights never played a huge factor very much until the AWB of 94. After that people started buying on speculations and the ebb and flow got bigger. Timed with boomers near retirement age and at the peak of wealth, now we have a bubble. Then, we recently fired the best gun salesman of the last 8 years and hired a guy who respects our rights. Along with Boomers starting to age out of the market and younger generations who are less likely to pick up the sport.....there is a slump.

Gun companies that don't plan for rainy years will fail or restructure. Not the first time, won't be the last.
Given video games the younger generation is more likely GAINING interest.

Until they run into the myriad of bullshit regulations, licenses, cost of guns, cost of ammo, cost of storage......then they go back to Mom's basement and play video games again, where shooting is free.

Until they run into the myriad of bullshit regulations, licenses, cost of guns, cost of ammo, cost of storage......then they go back to Mom's basement and play video games again, where shooting is free.

It's not like that in 'flyover country'. Buy gun and ammo, shoot and store it responsibly, buy more ammo anywhere you like without facing 'Papers Please!'. No need for licenses. MA, however, is just like you say...

So how is it that I, a millennial, got so fervently supportive of the 2A, along with many others in my age group and slightly younger?

Not that it'll save the empire, but being a blued steel and walnut guy I do find the wipes, the Rem-Oil wipes, very handy as well.

They should sell their gun brand to someone that actually wants to make guns, their guns don't sell because a lot of their product has turned into marginal junk.

Most of america doesn't live in the shitbird/commie states where all of that is a problem. There are like 40 something states where an 18 year old with a drivers license and a clean record can buy a 22 and just keep it in the closet next to the pellet guns they grew up with.

-Mike

I'm just about an Xer and one of the things that led to an interest in firearms was the fact that a close friend of mine owned them, but also because I spent a stupid amount of time playing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.... then I discovered several of my friends had guns, etc.

-Mike

Another thought... if anyone wants to know why remington is slumping, I can just take the
old school 18" blued Rem 870 (probably 60s, 70s era?) out of my safe and show it to you. It basically makes the newer stuff they sell look like a piece of shit in comparison.

I'm not a shotgun guy (this is the only shotgun I own) but someone would have to flash $1000 at me to even get me to think of selling that gun... and I'd probably still say no. Maybe for $1000 and a Benelli SNT.... The old 870s are on par with the LE shotguns they sell for like $650, made with better quality parts.

-Mike

So how is it that I, a millennial, got so fervently supportive of the 2A, along with many others in my age group and slightly younger?
How did you ? Serious question. I have seen a slight increase in young people under 25 actually going outside , fishing and such but no gun owners or shooters.
There are a few like yourself but just not enough.

How did you ? Serious question. I have seen a slight increase in young people under 25 actually going outside , fishing and such but no gun owners or shooters.

I agree with this. Most kids are video game nuts, ask them to go shooting and they really could care less. There are some...heck I teach the kids pheasant program at my club, and it's great to see. I hope I'm painting with a broad brush and I'm wrong. I do see twenty year old guys here and there, but at my club, most serious guys are 40 and over.

Anyway, back on topic...this is about Remington sucking wind.

Another thought... if anyone wants to know why remington is slumping, I can just take the
old school 18" blued Rem 870 (probably 60s, 70s era?) out of my safe and show it to you. It basically makes the newer stuff they sell look like a piece of shit in comparison.

I'm not a shotgun guy (this is the only shotgun I own) but someone would have to flash $1000 at me to even get me to think of selling that gun... and I'd probably still say no. Maybe for $1000 and a Benelli SNT.... The old 870s are on par with the LE shotguns they sell for like $650, made with better quality parts.

-Mike

Perfect example. I've had various old 870's and 1100's...thru the years. Never a problem. Still have an 1100 for a deer gun and it's great.

My buddy's son gets an 870 for his first gun...biggest POS ever, dropped rounds, wouldn't cycle, actually jammed so bad we had to take the pins out and pull the trigger group out. Sent it back, same thing...he traded it up at KTP shxt graveyard.

My other friend got an 1100 sporting, which is a fairly high end gun for Remington. Cycled, but the extractor came over the reciever and actually jammed on the frame. Thing locked up so bad he had to jam it on the ground to get it free. He sent it back, they put a new reciever on it, new guts supposedly.....we were shooting skeet last night, and it's basically a single shot, won't feed, jams every time......he's sending it back again.

My Remington R1 out of the box wouldn't go into battery almost once or twice every mag. It was a simple fix with a Wolf spring kit that i did myself, but really, I have to put a new spring kit in a brand new 1911? GMAFB.

Vidya games and meeting someone who asked me, “why don’t you have your LTC?”
No one in my direct family shoots or owns firearms before I did. So it was pretty fun watching Dad flip out when I brought a GP100 and a safe home. But thankfully it grew on both parents and they’re getting into it now.

it is sad to see a company with pretty good products, like remington, get financially mismanaged out of business. Their trigger recall fiasco comes to mind of how NOT to do customer service! :(:(

In capitalism, poorly managed companies go out of business, and better managed companies buy their licenses and IP, and continue to manufacture the best of the products. Let's hope a GOOD company picks up their IP.

I know this has been discussed before, but I wonder how many gun manf's put $ away for a rainy day during the last 8 years of Obama. It was open season to make $. But you HAVE to know that at some point the tide turns and the sales drop. Over-expanding during that time is a certain killer.

My Remington R1 out of the box wouldn't go into battery almost once or twice every mag. It was a simple fix with a Wolf spring kit that i did myself, but really, I have to put a new spring kit in a brand new 1911? GMAFB.

Same here. I got the Remington R1S on the rebate train. I put a magazine through it right out of the box with no issues, and the next day took it to an IDPA match. I had two failures to fully return to battery so I went and got my carry gun out of my truck and put the 18lb recoil spring from that in the R1S. Finished the match with no problems. I put a new 18lb spring in it after that and have used it for every IDPA since then. Whatever spring they put in it from the factory is way too damn light. Like 14lb I would guess?
Honestly it's the cheapest 1911 I've ever bought (considering the rebate of course) and the thing runs great. Did some minor internal work to it to smooth the action and trigger out and it's my favorite 1911 for competition now. I know there's plenty of negative reviews out there for the R1 but I think those may have been the early ones. Mine was made in '17.

Slump is such a unique word. WE don't use it enough. Makes me think of Glengary Glen Ross.

Why is it that Shel reminds me of Walter White in that scene??? He was the one who knocked. LOL

Same here. I got the Remington R1S on the rebate train. I put a magazine through it right out of the box with no issues, and the next day took it to an IDPA match. I had two failures to fully return to battery so I went and got my carry gun out of my truck and put the 18lb recoil spring from that in the R1S. Finished the match with no problems. I put a new 18lb spring in it after that and have used it for every IDPA since then. Whatever spring they put in it from the factory is way too damn light. Like 14lb I would guess?
Honestly it's the cheapest 1911 I've ever bought (considering the rebate of course) and the thing runs great. Did some minor internal work to it to smooth the action and trigger out and it's my favorite 1911 for competition now. I know there's plenty of negative reviews out there for the R1 but I think those may have been the early ones. Mine was made in '17.

I've handled a lot of those things in the past several years (I used to work gun shows, and the dealer I worked for had most of the compliant line in stock) and the biggest problem with the R1 is theres absolutely no way in hell I would ever buy one "blind. " If you had access to a batch of them you would just laugh at how
poor and inconsistent the fitment of the guns is... from one gun to another.... and I'm not even "a guy that knows how to build a 1911" and I could visually see how poorly they were fitted.

-Mike

Bad ownership making crap guns. I wouldn’t fall out of bed if Remington closed its doors and nobody would miss it.

A series of garbage nonfunctional pistols, and cheapening of long guns to the point that clones are better than their standard rifle/shotgun.

No surprises.

I've handled a lot of those things in the past several years (I used to work gun shows, and the dealer I worked for had most of the compliant line in stock) and the biggest problem with the R1 is theres absolutely no way in hell I would ever buy one "blind. " If you had access to a batch of them you would just laugh at how
poor and inconsistent the fitment of the guns is... from one gun to another.... and I'm not even "a guy that knows how to build a 1911" and I could visually see how poorly they were fitted.

-Mike

I got extremely lucky then I guess! :D
I’ve kept an eye on all the usual suspect areas of wear that are telltale signs of a poorly fit 1911. I have about 1k rounds through it so far, (with knock on wood, zero malfunctions after the spring swap) and there is no evidence it is a sloppy build. We’ll see what it looks like after 10k.

I got extremely lucky then I guess! :D
I’ve kept an eye on all the usual suspect areas of wear that are telltale signs of a poorly fit 1911. I have about 1k rounds through it so far, (with knock on wood, zero malfunctions after the spring swap) and there is no evidence it is a sloppy build. We’ll see what it looks like after 10k.

I was on the rebate train too...it really was a hell of a deal even though I had to put a spring kit in, stock is supposed to be a 16# I think, but they must have had a bad day at the spring factory, mine was like nothing...first time I racked it back, I said NFW. I had a Wolff kit lying around for one of my other 1911's. Put in a 17# and she worked fine, not even a hiccup with light reloads after that. I ended up selling it to a buddy for 50 dollars less than what I paid for it after rebate, and after I put almost 1K rounds thru it.

He loves the thing and thanks me every time I see him for the price I gave him on it. It was pretty tight, I really couldn't complain. It wouldn't be my first choice for a target gun build, but for a beater 1911 that you didn't mind carrying and banging around....worked fine. Actually the finish was pretty good on mine, a lot better than that RIA crap that wears as soon as you take it out of the holster. I carried that gun a lot, and it still looked good when I sold it.

Funny. I recall when Remmy was debuting the 1911's and everyone was gushing. It was ANOTHER 1911.

ANOTHER 1911.

This I think is where Ruger is leading the way. Sure, they jumped on the 1911 bandwagon, but then let us have a 4" lightweight 9, and a 5" 10mm in case you also need concealable protection from rampaging pachyderms. The PCC, and the bolt action carbine that takes AK fodder, still kind of hoping for an updated Deerfeild though. None of this stuff is revolutionary (well, the interchangeable mags on the PCC maybe), and nothing no-one else isn't/hasn't made, but it's stuff folks want, reasonably well made and priced, with what I understand is great customer service, if you need it. Some of the other guys, what are they thinking? I mean who really is begging the old lady for permission to buy an assault lever action, right? mossberg.jpg

This I think is where Ruger is leading the way. Sure, they jumped on the 1911 bandwagon, but then let us have a 4" lightweight 9, and a 5" 10mm in case you also need concealable protection from rampaging pachyderms. The PCC, and the bolt action carbine that takes AK fodder, still kind of hoping for an updated Deerfeild though. None of this stuff is revolutionary (well, the interchangeable mags on the PCC maybe), and nothing no-one else isn't/hasn't made, but it's stuff folks want, reasonably well made and priced, with what I understand is great customer service, if you need it. Some of the other guys, what are they thinking? I mean who really is begging the old lady for permission to buy an assault lever action, right? View attachment 220328
God those things are hideous and painful to look at.

Bought an 870 express in 2009 after Remmy got bought out. Thing rusted like I still can't believe. My POS mosin and two pistols were stored in the same way in the same safe, but only the 870 rusted. Kicked myself for not buying a 590 mossberg. I'd buy a vintage 870 in a heartbeat, but freedom group burned me bad on any new production 870's. Strangely, my new marlin 60 seems to be good quality, despite a similar acquisition.

I won't shed any tears if Remmington closes it's doors. Shame such a historic company has become so low.

Back
Top Bottom