360 Remington BuckHammer

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Discuss

30-30 blown out straight for .358” bullets and cut down to 1.8” for straight wall hunting states.
200 grain at 2100 FPS

It amazes me that after so many years Remington and Winchester are still copying each other and offering the same idea with or without a rim to compete against the other one.

6683D5F9-E2F8-4511-8E37-8C89B4097D57.jpeg

Looks like a weak straight wall cartridge.

Why should I pick this over a 450 Marlin, 45/70, 460 SW or 450 Bushmaster?
Or 44 magnum if you want to stay more "mainstream" ammo....

Or 444 marlin that has been around awhile as well

I don't understand the hype of the 350 legend.....and now this 🙄

I'm still not getting the 350 legend bandwagon and now this one?

350 legend isn't a great improvement over 357 magnum out of a rifle. Sure it's better energy and velocity but the improvemet isnt earth shattering and is it worth buying a new rifle for deer season vs a 357 mag rifle if you already had one? And it's not as powerful on deer as 44 magnum in a rifle that's for sure.

I don't understand all the new straight walls coming out.......there are already plenty of straight wall choices for deer that have been around forever and some are already better choices than the ones hitting the market.

Screenshot_20221231_043759_Chrome.jpg

The whole thing with straight wall is stupid state hunting laws. I am thankful that manufacturers are developing stuff for them to be used in MSR vs development of Fudd guns to be used in those cartridges. I still think the .35 Rem is the best deer cartridge for New England

The whole thing with straight wall is stupid state hunting laws. I am thankful that manufacturers are developing stuff for them to be used in MSR vs development of Fudd guns to be used in those cartridges. I still think the .35 Rem is the best deer cartridge for New England
Except that you can't use it in mass and alot of nh 😂

Just curious.....why do you feel 35 rem is the best deer cartridge for new england?

350 legend isn't a great improvement over 357 magnum out of a rifle. Sure it's better energy and velocity but the improvemet isnt earth shattering and is it worth buying a new rifle for deer season vs a 357 mag rifle if you already had one? And it's not as powerful on deer as 44 magnum in a rifle that's for sure.

I don't understand all the new straight walls coming out.......there are already plenty of straight wall choices for deer that have been around forever and some are already better choices than the ones hitting the market.

View attachment 703985
The goal of 350 Legend was a straight wall cartridge that can run in an AR15, so it's just an upper swap for someone who lives in one of those states and doesn't want/own anything else. IIRC, it used 357 as its benchmark.

Except that you can't use it in mass and alot of nh 😂

Just curious.....why do you feel 35 rem is the best deer cartridge for new england?
it hits harder than the 30-30. I guess growing up with a lot of hunters that used it and swore by it for everything from deer bear and moose in New England. in areas I can't use rifle I'll grab my 20ga single shot with rifled barrel.

The goal of 350 Legend was a straight wall cartridge that can run in an AR15, so it's just an upper swap for someone who lives in one of those states and doesn't want/own anything else. IIRC, it used 357 as its benchmark.
I can see that benefit......but see that the majority of rifles being offered in 350 legend are bolt guns from what I see.

Looks like a weak straight wall cartridge.

Why should I pick this over a 450 Marlin, 45/70, 460 SW or 450 Bushmaster?
Because usually you don’t need that much gun. A lot of people are recoil sensitive also. If my kids or wife wanted to hunt deer I would not start them out with the 45-70.

View attachment 703985
It’s rare that a new cartridge is a big improvement over another one any way.

We fight all day long about a new cartridge that’s only a couple hundred feet per second faster.

The Legend has been a huge success because it brought back 357 Maximum performance in the most popular platforms out there. The ammo is cheap. The performance is great.

Not everyone wants a lever gun. Not everyone wants an AR or bolt gun. Remington/Henry noting that in the article, that they basically want a piece of the Legend pie for all of the guys that wish it were in a lever gun

That being said will it survive? You can read up on the cartridge wars and how every time Remington came out with a new cartridge Winchester parried with something very similar. Usually one rimmed one not.
The winning factors varied. Was it only chambered in a high end Model 70? Was the ammo cheap? Did one company only load heavy bullets and one loaded varmint class?
Why did the the 358 Winchester die and the 35 Remington live on?

Will I buy one? No. I’m in the crowd that believes my 357 with a 170 at about 1800 will get the job done. Anything else needs a 45-70.

I always say I’m happy to see companies working on new guns and cartridges. If they don’t do this then where’s the drive to be better than your competition? We need innovation or S&W won’t have anyone to steal ideas from.

it hits harder than the 30-30. I guess growing up with a lot of hunters that used it and swore by it for everything from deer bear and moose in New England. in areas I can't use rifle I'll grab my 20ga single shot with rifled barrel.
It was originally offered as an AR cartridge. Basically a copy of the 357 maximum rimless that has been getting a ton of hype on the CastBoolits forum. All the work was basically done for them and they went and screwed it up with a .356” bullet.
Bolt guns became popular because they’re cheap easy steps to change over a production line to make them. Different barrel and that’s about it. It made sense to be the next step in guns.

There’s talk out there by the enthusiasts about the legend in lever guns but it’s a little more detailed to get that running properly so no one jumped into it. Personally I think if someone made the Legend work in a lever gun they would have more success than the BuckHammer.

I think the reloaders are going to really like the BuckHammer due to the bullet diameter. Which has been the big gripe about the Legend. The 38 is one of the most if not the most popular bullet diameter amongst reloaders (hand loader just had an article saying the 38 special was the most popular cartridge for reloading) which so many different bullets to choose from. The .356” legend limits itself there.

I'm a big fan of the 350L, I have two AR platforms, one being a rifle and the other a 11" barrel. In my opinion, the 350 l is a hard pounding energy round. If the 350L never makes it to the design table of the lever action possibilities, then this 360BH would be an alternative. the new round bandwagon as it was put! let's take the 30-30 over the .32WSP. The .32WSP out performs the #0-30 ballistically and obviously with more energy. and I did dhave taken many, 30-30 casings and full length sized them for .32WSP's. so why did 30-30 out succeed the .32WSP. There's been many rounds over the years that are very close together, that have out done the other. i can reload a .243 to do what Bandwagon 6.5 Creedmoor can do!?!?!

No love for the .351 Winchester Self Loader?
I wish I had one.
Love the story behind that gun and cartridge.

I'm a big fan of the 350L, I have two AR platforms, one being a rifle and the other a 11" barrel. In my opinion, the 350 l is a hard pounding energy round. If the 350L never makes it to the design table of the lever action possibilities, then this 360BH would be an alternative. the new round bandwagon as it was put! let's take the 30-30 over the .32WSP. The .32WSP out performs the #0-30 ballistically and obviously with more energy. and I did dhave taken many, 30-30 casings and full length sized them for .32WSP's. so why did 30-30 out succeed the .32WSP. There's been many rounds over the years that are very close together, that have out done the other. i can reload a .243 to do what Bandwagon 6.5 Creedmoor can do!?!?!
Exactly. It’s all be done before but some stick and some don’t.

Would love to see a 357 max lever gun…I’d be first in line…
It would be cool for sure. I was hoping Ruger would innovate. They do a lot with 10mm and 327 mag where S&W does not. I was hoping they would do something similar with the lever guns. I would be all over a 327 mag 1894.

It would be cool for sure. I was hoping Ruger would innovate. They do a lot with 10mm and 327 mag where S&W does not. I was hoping they would do something similar with the lever guns. I would be all over a 327 mag 1894.
There is a guy who will ream a 357 mag lever gun to 357 max…I dunno, I think I’d want something built around the cartridge.

.357 Remington Maximum Done Right by Mike Bellm, Mr. Max USA – Headquarters for everything .357 Remington Maximum

I like to see manufacturers giving us options, I like them working around the stupid laws too. If you reload, it’s nice to be able to use the same components for multiple rounds you may shoot. I made a .450 Raptor because I shoot .460 XVR. Same boolits and powder, primers and reloading dies. Just swap out the shell holder to a .308 holder. Cool stuff, can do some fun things. It’s the round in the center next to .45 ACP and .223. It’s the gun on the right.

Attachments

• 59A53FFE-DA15-4F3A-9724-65CCD9EDD87D.jpeg
    59A53FFE-DA15-4F3A-9724-65CCD9EDD87D.jpeg
    711.3 KB · Views: 17
  • C2FAE671-FDE8-48BD-A399-A46EF56D01A4.jpeg
    C2FAE671-FDE8-48BD-A399-A46EF56D01A4.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 17
I like to see manufacturers giving us options, I like them working around the stupid laws too. If you reload, it’s nice to be able to use the same components for multiple rounds you may shoot. I made a .450 Raptor because I shoot .460 XVR. Same boolits and powder, primers and reloading dies. Just swap out the shell holder to a .308 holder. Cool stuff, can do some fun things. It’s the round in the center next to .45 ACP and .223. It’s the gun on the right.
SmartSelect_20230102_225703_Chrome.jpg

Is that an exposed thread?

download (11).jpeg

I know it's not a model 94.....but Henry does make it's lever actions in 327.

Back
Top Bottom