Remembering Carol DiMaiti & son Christopher, 25 years later

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Tomorrow, Oct. 23rd 2014, will be the 25th anniversary of the date that Carol DiMaiti was shot and killed by her husband Charles Stuart as they left a child birth class at a Boston hospital. I remember it on the news that night, like it was last week. I can't believe it's been 25 years.

For those of you who weren't around then or are too young to remember, her husband shot her in the head (7 months pregnant), and he then shot HIMSELF in the stomach, to make it look like "someone else did it". His younger brother met them by prearrangement, and took and disposed of the gun and her possessions so that it looked like a robbery.

He (the husband) called 9-1-1 on his cell phone and reported that he was somewhere in Roxbury (he claimed he did not know where) and that "a black man had gotten in their car and robbed and shot them".

Police/fire/EMT found them some time later (that's a story in itself; see the "Rescue 911" episode that details how they did it), and removed them to the hospital. Carol died a few hours later. Just before that, her baby Christopher was delivered by C-section but died 17 days later due to the trauma that mom had happen to her, and loss of oxygen. Husband was in the hospital for weeks, but recovered. He ID'd a black man as the assailant who, it turns out, had nothing to do with it, and may very well have gone to jail for a crime he did not commit. There was a huge shit storm of racial profiling when the police were out to find the "black man" who did it. There never WAS a black man. It was all a concoction.

Three months later, January 1990, the younger brother went to the police and told them the truth. It was not a robbery. The husband did it. And the motive was apparently, life insurance money. When the husband was outed by his brother and knew the police were coming, he jumped off the Tobin Bridge to his death. The headline in the Globe, front page, top of fold if I recall right, was a shocker: STUART DIES IN JUMP OFF TOBIN BRIDGE AFTER POLICE ARE TOLD HE KILLED HIS WIFE.

Holy shit. And I think that's what the entire nation thought when that headline came out. No-one saw that one coming. Well, maybe some did, but most of us did not.

I write all this because I am a nostalgic guy. In the 1970s, my father was one of Carol DiMaiti's teachers at Medford high school. He said she was smart, and very nice. He was of course very sad when she died, and was distraught when the truth came out in January 1990.

When I was a little kid, we visited her family in Medford. They had a dog that had had puppies and were giving them away. I was probably 4 years old, & she was in high school. We went, took a puppy, and for some reason or another, we didn't keep him and brought him back for someone else to have. But I remember being in her back yard and seeing her....just a kid herself but "all grown up" in my eyes.....and the puppies.

Just getting a little nostalgic and yes still sad, 25 years later. Thanks for listening.

Three months later, January 1990, the younger brother went to the police and told them the truth.
Two men can keep a secret - it one of them is dead.

A tragedy of greed and arrogance. The guy was making something like $100K in a low skill job (selling fur coats).

old enough to remember--still feel bad for carol & family. didn't know them or anyone who did. so no personal connection.

but what that scumbag stuart did to them was a tragedy. i was getting ready to leave the ski house we rented in no.conway to head up to attitash when the news came in about his suicide. sorta/kinda knew in the back of my mind something wasn't right with his story from the start

Last edited:
Last edited:
Who the **** had a cell phone 25 years ago??

Wannabe rich, out to impress? To keep up with the Joneses, maybe? (So, I guess "the Joneses" and those who tried to keep up with them, had them).

That said, phones back then sucked, and were as big as a VCR. Here was Danny Glover's cell phone in "Lethal Weapon", from that era:

dannyglover.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Guys that sold high end fur coats.

That too. Forgot about that.

Two men can keep a secret - it one of them is dead.

A tragedy of greed and arrogance. The guy was making something like $100K in a low skill job (selling fur coats).

This.

Carol was a tax attorney, so it had to be greed and a roaming eye, as the scumbag allegedly was having an affair with a co-worker at the fur coat store.

I remember it very clearly as I lived in Mission Hill a block and a half from where he shot her. The part that was even more weird than that is when I was a kid we lived in revere and my father took me to fish of the Dizzy Bridge where they through the gun. My father was a member of the Broad Sound Tuna club just across the river from that bridge. We were home and never heard a thing. And for being that close to where it happened that was rather disturbing for us. Not that we could have done anything but just knowing that such a horrific event occurred so close to where we lived. My parents worked at area hospitals and they would walk through the Brigham to go to work the Children's and The Deaconess. It was a crazy time in that area after that.

Who the **** had a cell phone 25 years ago??

This. They were huge and clumsy then, I had one, paid $1k for it; it was a 'bag phone' installed it in my car for work.

The popo grabbed Stuart's cell records, he used to call the weather constantly while driving, so people would see him talking on a cell phone and think he was important.
my father was in Dist 10 back then, Roxbury......Stuart was still the prime suspect, even when they were arresting Bennett; they were pressuring his brother to flip....and he did.

I was on the Tobin bridge looking out of one of the bathroom windows as they were taking his body out of the water.

Boston.com has a big writeup on it today.

I miss Mike Barnicle!!

While most writers damned officials for their knee-jerk incursion into Mission Hill, and for fingering Bennett for the crime, one prominent Boston media icon decided to go another way.

Mike Barnicle, then a Boston Globe columnist, excoriated black leaders for their anger, saying Bennett had been a logical choice as a suspect.

“The man’s pathetic, violent history is so much a part of the unyielding issues of race, crime and drugs tearing daily at America that it is amazing how any black minister or black politician could ever stand up and howl in public that his arrest was a product of police bigotry and a volley of discrimination aimed at all black residents of Boston. Where, after everything they had been told, would they expect the cops to start looking? The Myopia Hunt Club?” (Mike Barnicle, The Boston Globe, January 7, 1990)

Your Dad must have been an old timer. It stopped being 10 and became 2 around 1970 or so.

This. They were huge and clumsy then, I had one, paid $1k for it; it was a 'bag phone' installed it in my car for work.

The popo grabbed Stuart's cell records, he used to call the weather constantly while driving, so people would see him talking on a cell phone and think he was important.
my father was in Dist 10 back then, Roxbury......Stuart was still the prime suspect, even when they were arresting Bennett; they were pressuring his brother to flip....and he did.

yup, joined in 1958

He would have been pretty close to retiring by then. He must have seen some big changes in the city and the way policing was done.

- - - Updated - - -

never heard about this....what a sick ****. Hope he's burning in hell.

I don't know how old you are, but this was a huge story. It went national and stayed there for weeks.

That said, phones back then sucked, and were as big as a VCR. Here was Danny Glover's cell phone in "Lethal Weapon", from that era:

The handheld phones were terrible, but the permanently installed 3 watt analog car phones running on NAMPS were actually pretty ****ing good, if installed right. My dad had an audiovox that worked pretty well in a lot of places.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom