Recommendations Hiking Pistol

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

163463_case_lg.jpg

That's what I was referring to here, but you got all fancy with the pictures, haha!

I was going to suggest the 460 too. I've seen them packaged with some info on bears and a couple of accessories.

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

163463_case_lg.jpg

In all seriousness, that appeals visually to me and I would love to have one just to put in the back of my SUV and have it with me. But when I calm down from the coolness factor, I can't think of when something like that would be practical. I was thinking deer camp maybe, but then everyone would have rifles and not need it. You're not going to backpack that case around... it just would have no practical use FOR ME. I'm sure someone can and does haul it around somewhere.

it just would have no practical use FOR ME. I'm sure someone can and does haul it around somewhere.
Given its size, it is of little practical use for anyone... A marketing gimmick at best, at worst a joke...

Sort of like having a box labeled "Plan B" with nothing but loaded revolver in it... [laugh]

Just my 2 cents...
I grew up in the Maine woods... My closest neighbor was a mile away. I would hike for miles to hunt and fish. I was taught to be afraid of only one thing, a bear cub. If I saw one, just back away.
The closest bad encounter I have had was while hunting partridge, I came across a bear that was being pursued by hunting dogs. (Saw the dogs later and put two and two together). He gave me a growl as he was mostly hidden by a mount of dirt about 10 feet away. I just talked and walked backwards; he just wanted to be left alone.
I've woken up and had them rummaging around my camp sight; a good shout and they go running.
Personally, I have faced much greater danger from the human (idiots) in he woods then any animal here in the NE. This is what I would pack for.
Now if there were west coast brown/grizzly or polar, then pack something big.

The biggest threat will likely come from people and for them I carry a .45acp. A .357 revolver would also be good. .
I agree. The chance of a bear ever giving you a problem in New England is nil.
Just get bear spray...In the stunningly unlikely event of a bear charging you, (for real not a mock charge).
+1 The bear spray expiration date will pass before you ever have a chance to use it.

But seriously, what's with all the great fear of bears in New England?
We saw a lot of bears all over the place. Black bears are no where near as aggressive as grizzlies. I can't remember the last time I heard about a bear attack in New England.
Unless you get between a mother and her cubs or try to feed black bears you have no reason to worry about them.

Amen brother - people tend to fear that which they do not understand. I have been a few feet from a black bear (more than once) and the only thing he/she was interested in was getting the hell out of there..
Takes them longer to ID you than it does for them to get out of Dodge.[smile]

That being said, in New England I don't carry bear spray (I don't think there is really a need) and usually just have my 9mm on me with some flat points in it. Humans are still your biggest problem out in the woods anyway.

Don't over think it, this is not Alaska. I would recommend a S&W J frame .357 mag, they are small, light and you can get some nice hard cast rounds for them.
Great points.[wink]

If you can carry a 4" .357, you can carry a 4" .44 mag. While I've never shot a bear with a pistol, I know people who have survived being hit with a .357, and bears are tougher.

My Unc's .257 Roberts rifle made short work of black bears up in Maine. If I was really worried I'd carry a rifle or a shotgun with buckshot.

I think something in .357mag would have the stopping power you need. It doesn't take many rounds of .357mag to stop just about anything. Quality over quantity.

In all seriousness, that appeals visually to me and I would love to have one just to put in the back of my SUV and have it with me. But when I calm down from the coolness factor, I can't think of when something like that would be practical. I was thinking deer camp maybe, but then everyone would have rifles and not need it. You're not going to backpack that case around... it just would have no practical use FOR ME. I'm sure someone can and does haul it around somewhere.

Given its size, it is of little practical use for anyone... A marketing gimmick at best, at worst a joke...

Sort of like having a box labeled "Plan B" with nothing but loaded revolver in it... [laugh]

I wasn't suggesting that one carry that entire case around, but rather the pistol and whatever useful accessories that kit contains. I'm not sure of the exact contents so I don't know which of said accessories would qualify as "useful". YMMV.

I wasn't suggesting that one carry that entire case around, but rather the pistol and whatever useful accessories that kit contains. I'm not sure of the exact contents so I don't know which of said accessories would qualify as "useful". YMMV.

Pretty much everything in that case including the case itself is more useful than a snubbie .460...[wink]

I've walked from GA to ME and back again. In addition I've hiked another 2-3K miles in the Northeast. I've never so much as pissed off a bear. How?
1. Paying attention to my surroundings. (Sit-awareness)
2. Not getting between a Momma and her cubs (see point 1)

If you want to carry a gun in the woods for fun go right ahead. I often do. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's for self defense against 4 legged creatures. Get something that can take down a man and you'll have all your bases covered. Besides, 99.9999% of the time, if you have to shoot a bear, you f*cked up, not the bear.

Note: This only applies to the east coast. In Alaska, I'd go for a 44Mag Desert Eagle (9 Rounds better than 6)...but that's cause I already own one and wouldn't want to buy another gun just for that.

Last edited:
Hike with someone slower than you.[smile]

[laugh2]

I also keep a squirt gun full of Peppridge Farm Gravy in a shoulder holster. Bear charges, spray buddy, no problem... [wink]
It's the old joke:

Two men in the forest and a hungry bear is coming towards them:

Guy1: "What are you doing?"
Guy2: "I'm taking off my shoes."
Guy1: "Why are you taking off your shoes?"
Guy2: "Because I run faster without my shoes."
Guy1: "You can't out run a bear."
Guy2: "I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you."

Bear Intruder Takes 10 Rounds Before Going Down
Bear Intruder Takes 3 Rounds From Shotgun, 5 Shots From A Handgun, 2 From Rifle Before Going Down

(AP) A black bear that broke into a Boulder County home and charged at the homeowner was killed only after three rounds from a shotgun, five shots from a handgun and two from a rifle. Paul Fischer fired birdshot and a rubber bullet at the 120-pound bear after it was found rummaging through the kitchen early Monday morning. The family escaped when the third shot seemed to disorient the bear.

Sheriff's deputies found a bear trying to claw his way through a screen door when they arrived. Sgt. Lance Enholm fired his handgun five times at the bear after determining it was severely wounded.

Enholm says the bear kept moving toward him and was finally felled and killed by two shots from his rifle.

Nice Glock 10mm and some bear spray, is how i'll be strolling... Now, for the bears stay away from cubs, and make loud noises and make yourself real big... If needed use spray and if desperate use 10mm... In betweendo a lot of praying if bigger than blackbear.....[wink]

Wear bells on you person to alert the bears. Carry Bear Spray and learn to identify bear droppings.

How do you identify bear droppings?

They have little bells in them and they smell like pepper.

I've been taking a can of UDAP with me when I go in the woods of my NH vacation home.

That and a .45 of some variety.

I live in NH, so I'm allowed to open carry.

I carry a Glock 20 in 10mm loaded with hot-load 180gn FMJ for the unlikely case of a bear attack. If it's smaller where the FMJs are not needed, the frontal area of a 10mm is sufficient to do enough damage without needing to mushroom.

In cases where I feel the desire, I also have a 4" barrel S&W 500 that carries 5 350gn bonded Jacketed Hollow Points. The 500 throws lead hard enough that the JHP penetrate deep enough, but at 1/3 the ammo, slower reloads and higher weight, the hand cannon isn't the first choice.

I've walked from GA to ME and back again. In addition I've hiked another 2-3K miles in the Northeast. I've never so much as pissed off a bear. How?
1. Paying attention to my surroundings. (Sit-awareness)
2. Not getting between a Momma and her cubs (see point 1)

If you want to carry a gun in the woods for fun go right ahead. I often do. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's for self defense against 4 legged creatures. Get something that can take down a man and you'll have all your bases covered. Besides, 99.9999% of the time, if you have to shoot a bear, you f*cked up, not the bear.

Note: This only applies to the east coast. In Alaska, I'd go for a 44Mag Desert Eagle (9 Rounds better than 6)...but that's cause I already own one and wouldn't want to buy another gun just for that.

I would not worry about bears around here either, unless it is an unusual winter and they are wandering around the woods in winter starving instead of hibernating! The biggest problem with bears is if you are camping out and did not hang your food properly. I WOULD be concerned about wild dogs, which I have had problems with hiking. I hear some sightings of mountain lions in NH (urban legend or true?). Mountain lions will gladly eat you if hungry.

Back
Top Bottom