Recommendations Hiking Pistol

Here ya go:

super_shorty_870.jpg

I'll take two, please.

I've shot black bear with a .44mag and .357mag.

I carry a .44 with me when in bear country now. Although thinking the .460 will be better.

Last edited:
A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs would be best.

If you carry a handgun for bear, leave the hollowpoints at home. Use a solid (or JSP) designed for hunting. You want as much penetration and weight retention as you can with a bullet for bear. If I really thought I was going to run into a bear, I'd have a 12 gauge or a .500 S&W.

I too strongly recommend a revolver with hard cast bullets...I've seen a number of bears done in at close range with a decent shot from a 4" .357. check out Grizzly cartridges for .357 or .44 and OBVIOUSLY Ballistic Supply for the big boys.

I agree, need heavy, hard, non-expanding bullets.

If I were hiking a long way and had money to buy a gun just for this function (lightweight but theoretically likely to stop a black bear), it would probably be the S&W 329 (scandium), 44 mag. You would have to decide how many cartridges to pack (probably 12). I would probably be inclined to only pack heavy loads when hiking, and instead use only 44 special for practice shooting.

If I were hunting, and actually trying to find the bears, it would be at least a .454. Maybe a steel revolver in .44mag with a nice long barrel and heavy loads and a can of bear spray--just in case.

If I were in Grizzly county, it would be a .454 AND a 12 guage/.45 long colt/other powerful rifle (and probably a buddy to watch my back!).

Last edited:
I am sure owners of S&W500 would say anything less is taking your life in your hands, but there's also the matter of getting a gun you can use/carry for other purposes.... I wouldn't go small... just light...

I'd just bring EC along! [smile] [wink]

I think those 460 snubbies are great for bears! You can use the muzzle flash from it to set the bear on fire as your wrist snaps in two! [wink]

[rofl]

Look into .45 LC revolver . . . check the ballistics. Not my expertise but might be a decent compromise in a 6" gun.

I like my Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull. Mild recoil even with max loads. Light and small enough to carry and won't slow me down as I back away...

Just get bear spray...In the stunningly unlikely event of a bear charging you, (for real not a mock charge), you will likely miss and even if you hit - will likely still get your ass kicked and put your family in danger. Buy some Bear Spray and have a nice life....

yeah. if you're in munchkin land shooting at 25lb midget bears.

I meant more for the .45 colt option.....

But seriously, what's with all the great fear of bears in New England? When I was 14 I went hiking in northern New Mexico for two weeks in grizzly country (Philmont Scout Ranch). A couple of weeks before we showed up a Japanese scout was mauled to death because he kept some food in his tent and not in the bear bag, and when the grizzly ripped open the front of tent (I am not making this up) the kid took a flash picture of the bear. When we were climbing down Baldy Mt, we ran into a forest ranger packing a .44 who was on his way to the same camp we were to shoot a bear that had been ripping doors off the food storage cabin for a week. We saw a lot of bears all over the place. Black bears are no where near as aggressive as grizzlies. I can't remember the last time I heard about a bear attack in New England.

But seriously, what's with all the great fear of bears in New England? When I was 14 I went hiking in northern New Mexico for two weeks in grizzly country (Philmont Scout Ranch). A couple of weeks before we showed up a Japanese scout was mauled to death because he kept some food in his tent and not in the bear bag, and when the grizzly ripped open the front of tent (I am not making this up) the kid took a flash picture of the bear. When we were climbing down Baldy Mt, we ran into a forest ranger packing a .44 who was on his way to the same camp we were to shoot a bear that had been ripping doors off the food storage cabin for a week. We saw a lot of bears all over the place. Black bears are no where near as aggressive as grizzlies. I can't remember the last time I heard about a bear attack in New England.

You don't have to worry, Mr. LongJohn. you're taller than a bear when it presents itself so you intimidate it. Of course, I out weigh you, but to a bear it's the height that matters.

Amen brother - people tend to fear that which they do not understand. I have been a few feet from a black bear (more than once) and the only thing he/she was interested in was getting the hell out of there. In the one instance I did get a charge, (Becket Transfer Station 1997), I hit the bear with a blast of pepper spray and it was gone, gone, gone....There are plenty of studies - including one done in grizzly country, which show that those in legitimate bear attacks who use a gun are more likely to be killed than those who use pepper spray...If anyone wants to test this theory, try shooting a target moving toward you at 30mph, low to the ground and not running in a perfectly straight line. Do this while the shit is scared out of you and let me know what your hit percentages are....

PS: Philmont?! I was there as well...Loved The Tooth Of Time....

There used to be a big bear problem up at the Greenville landfill in Maine. Bears just loved eating that garbage. Perhaps hiking with a bag of garbage on your pack and then if charged by a bear, toss it to the side of the trail, point at it and see "Look!!! A new landfill!"

A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs would be best.

If you carry a handgun for bear, leave the hollowpoints at home. Use a solid (or JSP) designed for hunting. You want as much penetration and weight retention as you can with a bullet for bear. If I really thought I was going to run into a bear, I'd have a 12 gauge or a .500 S&W.

+1, what he said. Anything smaller runs the risk of only pissing it off before it mauls you

I carry a S&W M60-10 (.357 J-frame w/ 3" barrel) while backpacking. It's incredibly easy to carry and if the first 4 shots don't take care of it, I can just plug myself in the head.

Shooting bears is a Fish and Wildlife issue, and I don't know any "game warden" that wouldn't give you a pass if some life threatening thing came along where you HAD to take a shot.

Now, two things come to my mind when taking a shot at a bear:

1) Your adrenalin rush will probably over power any sensible attempt at firing off a good shot at an attacking bear. You'll get run down fast (35+ mph for black bear), and a bit mauled. That's when the up close and personal use of a handgun would help. The "game warden" will take one look at the injuries (at the hospital, of course), and give you a free pass on the shooting.

2) You're more likely than not to MISS when shooting at a rushing bear. So, the LOUDER the boom, the more likely you are to scare the bruin away. The .40 S&W makes a good rumble when fired, much louder than a 9mm, or anything smaller. I don't think it's as much about stopping power as it is scaring power.

BTW, I am sure it won't matter whether you have clean undies on when you get to the hospital (my mom always said to have clean undies when you get to the hospital), because I am sure they would be soiled if you found yourself attacked by a bear.

Now, if you get attacked by a bear, we want pictures, or else it never happened.

IMO your best choice for a bear is bear spray in your weak hand and a gun in you strong hand. Bears will most likely run a false charge and some spray should remedy that. There are two main kinds of attacks, defensive and predatory. Defensive are the most common and happen when you surprise a bear, predatory is less common and is when the bear actually wants to eat you.

Either way bear spray may be the best option but having a gun is a good thing, especially b/c in the heat of the moment you may not be able to decide if the bear is defensive or predatory.

That being said, in New England I don't carry bear spray (I don't think there is really a need) and usually just have my 9mm on me with some flat points in it. Humans are still your biggest problem out in the woods anyway.

Don't over think it, this is not Alaska. I would recommend a S&W J frame .357 mag, they are small, light and you can get some nice hard cast rounds for them.

I was looking at a couple .357 snubs, but i'm just looking for opinions.

I not really knowledgeable enough to offer an informed opinion, but snubs are usually considered short-range weapons (for aiming reasons, not for power or accuracy reasons). I wouldn't want to have to let Mr. Bear into the 20 yard circle to be sure of hitting him.

Does bear spray fall under the same laws as people spray here in Mass?

I've heard the best way to survive bears is to not get into an attack situation. Don't surprise them (bear bells, chit chat), don't EVER EVER EVER approach cubs. If camping make a "triangle" - food storage in one place (preferably up a tree), cooking in another, sleeping in a third. Don't sleep in the same clothes you ate or cooked in, don't keep ANY food in your tent/etc. For black bears, loud noises and waving arms is usually enough to discourage them, my friend used to chase them out of his yard with a broom.

Bear spray is probably your next best defense - in most cases, a bear attack is because s/he is scared, surprised, or otherwise defensive, why hurt something if you don't have to? Failing that, a round with high penetration, 10mm, .357mag, or bigger. Then maybe a knife. After that point, if you aren't Bear Chow, keep swinging!

I can never remember if you are supposed to back away from grizzlys slowly and stand your ground with blacks, or vice versa...

Back
Top Bottom