• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reciprocity gets out of committee - not sure if dupe

I also find it amusing that there are chiefs on that list that are in f***ing con carry states (like Maine).... are they just clueless or something? [rofl]

ETA:

Anyone else notice the crapflooding in the document? Lots of people like this
guy mentioned.... and also lots of DUPLICATE names under different
roles, etc. Did they have an anti write this document?

"Data Technician Ii John Lara, Texas Dps Crime Records Service, Austin, TX"

like what the f*** is next, are they going to add the janitor of the PD on the list, too? [rofl]

-Mike

"we don't want Comm2A (or another independent attorney) up our ass sideways" ... so some towns are not really pro gun, but more like "path of least resistance". These towns/chiefs would still gladly stab you in the back given slightest provocation.
I guess we can add this to "what has Comm2A done for us?".

I know for a fact that some green towns have been painted thusly by Comm2A. The paint is water soluble and will wash off if we don't have a crew of painters at the ready.

I guess we can add this to "what has Comm2A done for us?".

I know for a fact that some green towns have been painted thusly by Comm2A. The paint is water soluble and will wash off if we don't have a crew of painters at the ready.

When talking to people about licensing BS in this state I have noticed a huge trend, IMHO, and it seems to be inextricably correlated to Comm2A's presence. There are still red/shit towns, but a bunch of them have either flipped completely or are somewhat less douchey. (Not sure how this correlates to legalese stuff, but there seems to be a HUGE decrease in terms of that old trend of "downgrade on renewal" or "downgrade on move in". (for example Boston doesn't cripple existing
unrestricted that move in anymore, like they often used to. ). My guess is that either between Comm2A, or the crap-town attorneys figured out that downgrading someone that already had an unrestricted license for X years is "bad" legally, or places like Boston are trying to avoid putting a target on their back for more lawsuits... keep up the good work!

-Mike

I also find it amusing that there are chiefs on that list that are in f***ing con carry states (like Maine).... are they just clueless or something? [rofl]

ETA:

Anyone else notice the crapflooding in the document? Lots of people like this
guy mentioned.... and also lots of DUPLICATE names under different
roles, etc. Did they have an anti write this document?

"Data Technician Ii John Lara, Texas Dps Crime Records Service, Austin, TX"

like what the f*** is next, are they going to add the janitor of the PD on the list, too? [rofl]

-Mike

A quick scan on just MA alone shows 3 cities listed twice, Brookline, Salisbury, and Lynnfield, the latter 2 with the same chief listed twice, as well.

One thing that Comm2A has accomplished is that licensing officers can no longer look at a 20something applicant and think "we can do anything we want, this kid could never afford an attorney, and certainly not one for a federal case".

As to one of the "private things" we did - one local business owner in the Metrowest area was denied an LTC due to an old MJ conviction, even after we won Fletcher v. Haas and Wesson v. Fowler. We told him to let a Comm2a attorney handle it (and send Comm2a the bill), and he promptly got his LTC. No legal filing, just a polite call from our lawyer to the licensing officer to explain the facts of life. It also sent a clear message that Comm2a is ready to help people being given the bums rush.

Absent Comm2A, he could have hired a local attorney who knew little about those two cases, or that it was about enforcing an existing court order.

None of this matters now because natrep is never passing. IMHO otherwise badgeless gun carriers would do well to ponder the idea of a non-federal arrangement. This doesn't fix the garbage state problem, but if the shall issue states can agree on a reciprocity compact and offer an enhanced permit (this allows them to NOT change their laws, yet still offer a permit thats conformal to the states that have worse laws than they do, thus not destroying freedom in the process) and we get like all the loose stragglers united under one enhanced license, then this basically creates a national embarassment for the half dozen or so shithole states.... and that gets to be held over their head in the media and other circles.... and the brilliant part is it wouldn't need the federal government involved AT ALL in order for it to happen, just the cooperation of non shithole states to agree to honor an enhanced permit standard.

-Mike
Oh good, so all we need is for 40-something different sets of ego maniacs to come together and agree on something. [laugh]

Wouldn't help us at all.

As Len indicates also, the antis absolutely HATE LEOSA. The fact that it gives them major hemorrhoids is good enough for it to stay in my book.

Most of the people running under LEOSA are also pro gun, too, not the "I don't need my gun when I'm off duty, so no one else should either" brand of douchebag.

-Mike

Mike is right, I know a lot of retired chiefs & officers who couldn't wait to turn in their issued guns and they never carried off the job. Those I know interested in LEOSA are all pro-2A people.

Oh good, so all we need is for 40-something different sets of ego maniacs to come together and agree on something. [laugh]

Easier than convincing shitty fed level politicians... and honestly the resolution process would only involve like 10 states or so because most of the utah/florida reciprocals largely agree already.

.... and the brilliant part is it wouldn't need the federal government involved AT ALL in order for it to happen, just the cooperation of non shithole states to agree to honor an enhanced permit standard.
That is exactly how driver licenses work. There is no federally mandated DL reciprocity, it's all an agreement between the states to recognize the others' licenses.

Yeah, let's get rid of LEOSA. No reciprocity for us peons, then the same for state and local LEO's.
I opposed LEOSA when I was an active LEO, because the Constitution doesn't allow for such federal mandates.

Did I take advantage of it? Sure. Just like I take advantage of any tax breaks I can get, while opposing the taxes themselves.

After retirement, I've not bothered with the annual certification, because I'm content in the constitutional carry land of Northern New England. If I travel back to visit family in Arkansas, I enjoy constitutional carry there as well. Texas isn't as free, but I can at least carry license-free in a vehicle there.

None of this matters now because natrep is never passing. IMHO otherwise badgeless gun carriers would do well to ponder the idea of a non-federal arrangement. This doesn't fix the garbage state problem, but if the shall issue states can agree on a reciprocity compact and offer an enhanced permit (this allows them to NOT change their laws, yet still offer a permit thats conformal to the states that have worse laws than they do, thus not destroying freedom in the process) and we get like all the loose stragglers united under one enhanced license, then this basically creates a national embarassment for the half dozen or so shithole states.... and that gets to be held over their head in the media and other circles.... and the brilliant part is it wouldn't need the federal government involved AT ALL in order for it to happen, just the cooperation of non shithole states to agree to honor an enhanced permit standard.

-Mike

Maybe. There is an open question if such an expansive compact would not require congressional approval.

In the United States of America, an interstate compact is an agreement between two or more states. Article I, Section 10 of the United States Constitution provides that "No State shall, without the Consent of Congress... enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State." Consent can be obtained in one of three ways. First, there can be a model compact and Congress can grant automatic approval for any state wishing to join it, such as the Driver License Compact. Second, states can submit a compact to Congress prior to entering into the compact. Third, states can agree to a compact then submit it to Congress for approval, which, if it does so, causes it to come into effect. Not all compacts between states require explicit Congressional approval – the Supreme Court ruled in Virginia v. Tennessee that only those agreements which would increase the power of states at the expense of the federal government required it.

Would such a compact be exempt under the Virginia v. Tennessee ruling? I don't know. Since the current reciprocity agreements have not been challenged by the feds the answer is that it probably would not need congressional approval so it's worth a shot. But I also can imagine a hostile DoJ deciding to sue to stop it as well.

I was not a fan of this legislation, but this letter is an annoying attempt by COPs to hold power.

It would appear that there is only one COP in north central MA that signed on to that letter, Michael Bennett of Templeton, and his department is currently appealing for tax money for station renovations.

Leave another comment if you think he should give up his LEOSA privilege -- along with getting a tin cup and begging for the dough like the rest of us the unwashed.
Chief Michael R. Bennett is asking for tax money after going out of his way to be the only COP in north central MA signing on to a letter telling lawful gun owners they are not to be trusted. To be sure as part of the LEO privileged class of citizens Mike takes advantage of Federal LEOSA regs when he travels. Stop putting yourself above us -- get your tin cup and stand on the corner for the dough Mike!

:mad:

The Boston Police Facebook page posted this letter and the comments are 99% against Commissioner Evans opinion.

View: https://www.facebook.com/BostonPoliceDepartment/posts/10155539053857685

That gave me a chuckle.

Thanks...
So Bill Evans goes out of his way to sign on to a letter telling lawful gun owners they are not to be trusted. To be sure, as part of the LEO privileged class of citizens, Bill takes advantage of Federal LEOSA reciprocity when he travels privately. Stop putting yourself above us Bill and grabbing for power that is not granted you as a municipal employee -- was this political lobbying done on taxpayer's time?

(EDIT) Also...
BTW - Why is the "official" BPD Facebook page being used for Bill Evans' private fraternal activities and political lobbying?

:mad:

Last edited:
That is exactly how driver licenses work. There is no federally mandated DL reciprocity, it's all an agreement between the states to recognize the others' licenses.

Sorry, do you have a reference? I was under the impression that DL reciprocity was granted via the commerce dept. a long time back, in order to eliminate a patch work of laws (such as we have with carry laws today),. Thanks.

Okay, I can't stand the guy, but I have always been one of the "through hard work, the right connections and being smart he 'earned' his position". This was always based on his tests, lack of disciplinary actions against him and keeping his nose clean. I never said he deserved the position or was the best - I was just saying he and his political cronies promoted him up the ranks. Being the brother of a former Boston Commissioner definitely didn't hurt him either.

Paul and Brian Evans: Paul F. Evans - Wikipedia

BUT THIS IS JUST f***ING OUTRAGEOUS! You will never hear the 'hard work' part from me again. This is just politics, cronyism and stupidity. If not worse.

Boston Police Department (Official)
· [URL='https://www.facebook.com/BostonPoliceDepartment/posts/10155539053857685']April 19 at 6:03am · [/URL]
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/BostonPoliceDepartment/?hc_ref=ARTquwKs_FcFelZTcPtFplitwed-qM70CdTLbdEb-RH7yfu7mpxNim9PCpNcdrLOsv8&fref=nf']Law Enforcement Coalition Gathers to Oppose Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Boston – Today Commissioner William Evans of Boston, MA released a letter of opposition to the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017. The letter was signed by 473 law enforcement agencies from 39 states. Law enforcement officials nationwide joined together to oppose the bill that dismantles state-level concealed carry permitting systems and creates a dangerous race to the bottom for irresponsible firearm ownership standards.

Statement by Boston Police Department Commissioner William Evans:

“This bill would override state laws determining who is qualified to carry a loaded hidden gun – laws which take into account the unique circumstances and needs in each state--and would force states to allow individuals to carry guns who are not qualified to do so under their own laws,” said Commissioner Evans of the legislation. “During traffic stops and other interactions with the public, our officers would have to be familiar with 50 different state’s laws on conceal carry permitting. Given the split-second decisions our officers frequently need to make, this is nearly impossible and can foreseeably lead to violent confrontations. As law enforcement officers across the US, we oppose this dangerous threat to our officers and to public safety.”

[/URL]

Evans states some states have fewer restrictions than MA putting MA residents in danger . What does he say that some towns in MA have fewer restrictions than Boston. Since Boston has a shooting requirement, does that mean somebody in a town that doesn’t have a shooting requirement, like most, puts Boston residence in danger ?

We still have the patchwork. Different states have different rules, procedures, tests... But a Montana drivers license is still good anywhere a Massachusetts license is.
A couple of states allow drivers licenses before the age of 16 (I think both Dakotas still do this).

I know that some states have a provision that no out of state or foreign license issued to someone under age 16 will be recognized, which is proof by example that states are not required to honor other states drivers licenses.

It's just that since most people drive, the marketplace demands reciprocity. The same would happen with carry if a majority of people cared about that issue.

Back
Top Bottom