• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reciprocity gets out of committee - not sure if dupe

It is still a state right, this just tells states they have to accept other states LTCs. Think of it this way, you have a non resident Utah license. You can carry in 20 something states maybe more. It would just expand that reciprocity to all states. It's not Constitutional carry, it simply allows LTC holders from any state to carry in all states.

The problem I see is states like California and NY are going to say the law is unconstitutional and start arresting people. It will take a couple years to work it out through the courts and those caught up in the process are going to be dropped into a meat grinder.

I'm very happy this is moving forward, but would not want to be the test case as it goes through the courts.

Nope, not want. This has gun owner registration written all over it, and just to make a few people happy that don't have the intestinal fortitude to. Move to a free state.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22concealed+carry+reciprocity+act%22%5D%7D said:
“(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in subsection (b)) and subject only to the requirements of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State that—"

Yeah, that's written in a clumsy way, but I'd say it covers con carry states without need for a optional license.

I believe this bill will also require states to make sure felons and the mentally ill don’t get licensed. So “shall issue” might not mean what it used to mean. I think this would encourage or, eventually, even mandate more states to adopt MA- or NY-style scrutiny over their licensing processes, and that’s not necessarily a good thing.

Beware unintended consequences. I want national reciprocity if the standard used is, say, Wyoming’s. Not California’s.

As filed this was a great idea. I have not looked to see if there are any changes. Bottom line is anti-gun states get penalized for being anti-gun states. Citizens in pro-gun states would be allowed to carry elsewhere.

We in Mass are trapped or take a risk trying to get out of this area, we cannot carry even with a Utah or FL LTC along with our Mass LTC in CT NY NJ, Yes we can go north to VT NH ME but nothing south or west, if you are traveling you are fine as long as you don't stop for gas or anything or get stopped then you can be screwed.

Scott Brown the Rino was against this because he felt he didn't want rednecks bringing their guns to Mass, he felt we have GOOD gun laws the rest don't (except CA)

We in Mass are trapped or take a risk trying to get out of this area, we cannot carry even with a Utah or FL LTC along with our Mass LTC in CT NY NJ, Yes we can go north to VT NH ME but nothing south or west, if you are traveling you are fine as long as you don't stop for gas or anything or get stopped then you can be screwed.

Scott Brown the Rino was against this because he felt he didn't want rednecks bringing their guns to Mass, he felt we have GOOD gun laws the rest don't (except CA)

I could be wrong but I believe your Mass LTC is useless in NH.. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Reading the text of the bill it looks to me that it *only* forces states to recognize other states' LTC/CCW/XYWQHHMBBQ permits, and does nothing to require any state to issue permits, or to set standards for their permits. It even says if you don't need a permit in your home state, you don't need one anywhere else either.

... a person who ... is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and [has a permit] or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides, may possess or carry a concealed handgun...

I'm still not sold on this. Never mind the obvious issue I have with the Feds getting involved at all, the states that are the reason for this type of thing like MA are going to fight it and in the mean time disregard it and stop every NH plated vehicle with a Sig or NRA sticker on the window. Even if they lost in court, I'd bet my left arm they would still disregard and continue to harass out of staters.

Skip all of that, and then you will still need to be concerned with retarded magazine restrictions, ammo possession, AWBs, etc. that will all of a sudden be enforced left and right.

The odds that this bill will get the 60 votes needed in the Senate to clear the guaranteed Democrat block filibuster are about the same as Maura Healy coming out in support of Constitutional Carry in MA.

Back
Top Bottom