• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Received email from Comm2a today!! Anyone from Lowell or know anyone in Lowell??

With over 2000 restricted LTCs in Lowell, one would [STRIKE=hope for]hope for[/STRIKE] EXPECT a good turnout. I'd expand that a bit, though. Even people with "Restrictions: None" who think the policy is stupid should support this effort.

(I know this may be obvious to some, including you, KD... just trying to cast a wider net, and thanks for the actual number info.)

The problem is, how many of those folks just got their LTC to own rifles and shotguns, or just to keep a pistol in their home?

I'd estimate only a small subset of those restricted LTC's have any interest in daily carry, and even a smaller subset will have any motivation to actually fight the matter. Which is why you guys need to keep beating the pavement on this and round up every body possible--and convince those to get involved who otherwise wouldn't.

The problem is, how many of those folks just got their LTC to own rifles and shotguns, or just to keep a pistol in their home?

I'd estimate only a small subset of those restricted LTC's have any interest in daily carry, and even a smaller subset will have any motivation to actually fight the matter. Which is why you guys need to keep beating the pavement on this and round up every body possible--and convince those to get involved who otherwise wouldn't.

Then we need to to educate them. This needs to be a visible issue. And I have been thinking. Every one tells me to leave this to Comm2A, they are working on this. Well yes they are. They are working to get the law changed. From what I have see Lowell does not think much of Laws that do not agree with there view points. We also need an active and vocal group of people that show up at council meetings. That call there state reps. that call there city council people. And ever one thinks this is just about Lowell.. Lowell is were we start. Not were we Finnish............

Then we need to to educate them. This needs to be a visible issue. And I have been thinking. Every one tells me to leave this to Comm2A, they are working on this. Well yes they are. They are working to get the law changed. From what I have see Lowell does not think much of Laws that do not agree with there view points. We also need an active and vocal group of people that show up at council meetings. That call there state reps. that call there city council people. And ever one thinks this is just about Lowell.. Lowell is were we start. Not were we Finnish............
No one is telling you "to leave this to Comm2A". Making the Second Amendment something more than just a dead letter in Massachusetts is a mufti-faceted, multi-pronged effort that requires a lot of people to do a lot of things. Comm2A's focus is the law and civil rights based litigation. That's just one set of things. That includes making good decisions on our part and also helping to educate people if they're about to make bad legal choices. And yes, we like to think we have the best legal strategy to achieve our common objectives. But, I'll be the first to tell you that litigation is an option of last resort and it certainly can.

We have carefully evaluated Lowell and have no shortage of really good potential plaintiffs if litigation made sense at this time. Given the cases before the federal court (Davis v. Grimes) and the SJC (Holden & Caetano), we do not believe that there is anything to be added by taking Lowell on at this time.

Right now GOAL is very focused on engaging Lowell officials and they're doing all the right things. Anyone that lives in Lowell needs to stand up and be counted. Numbers matter. Direct civic engagement of this type can work and can work very well. It doesn't always get you what you want, but it's more effective than most people realize. And, even when it don't lead to change it serves notice.

I have since moved out of Lowell but unfortunately I am still hamstrung by their unfair practices.

If you moved to a green town, you should be able to get an unrestricted LTC. Lowell will normally agree to expire LTCs so people can get their new town to issue a new one.

If you moved to a green town, you should be able to get an unrestricted LTC. Lowell will normally agree to expire LTCs so people can get their new town to issue a new one.

tried that. i was informed i would have to turn in my license issued by Lowell, then reapply for one in my new town... thus being in possession of firearms without a firearms license[banghead]

My post on the Lowell Sticky
Bettina Romberg of GOAL just reached out to the UMass Lowell Firearms club this afternoon. I will be trying to get as many members as possible to make an appearance, and maybe speak at the Council Meeting if there is an opportunity to do so. While I'm not a resident of Lowell, I do spend enough time in the city and care whether or not other law abiding citizens are having their rights abused by Chiefs who don't believe in them.
Look forward to seeing a full house.
Like I said, lets fill the chamber.

Lowell residents really need to go to this meeting tomorrow.

Agreed.

I've been wondering... is it funny or sad that I'm doing so much to keep the three threads about this meeting going when it's not even a personal concern for me? I need to get a life! [hmmm]

I'm just trying to help get more people who really should care involved, but maybe the level of posting on NES is not an indication of what will happen tonight.

Since it doesn't affect me, I'll just stop banging my head against the wall and leave it at that. I can't help but be curious about the turnout, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom