Reasons on a NH Non-Res application

I put "All LEGAL purposes"

Of course I've been waiting almost 50 days now, but I think it will come.

My Maine LTC came last week.

If you are waiting on NH >3 weeks, give them a call!

They are very nice and they will tell you whatever the holdup is.

NH is NOT like MA!! They won't lie to you and blame someone else.

If you are waiting on NH >3 weeks, give them a call!

They are very nice and they will tell you whatever the holdup is.

NH is NOT like MA!! They won't lie to you and blame someone else.

+1 Call them right away...Like said before, the average turnaround time is something along the lines of less than 2 to 3 weeks.

It seams they only give you 2 choices... I'd say it doesn't hurt to put both.

from NH non res form:
A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES. One or more of these
reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make application to carry a pistol in New
Hampshire.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in NH you only need this permit to conceal carry a hand gun. What reason would one conceal carry a hand gun besides protection?

IMO - The only answer you should ever give is : All Lawful Purposes

This will include protection, range or target practice, hunting (although you need a permit for that also), etc.

I put "All LEGAL purposes"

Of course I've been waiting almost 50 days now, but I think it will come.

My Maine LTC came last week.

It should only take a week or two.
Maybe you are waiting so long b/c you put "All LEGAL purposes" when the applicaton states what you should put.[wink]

A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES. One or more of these
reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make application to carry a pistol in New
Hampshire.

Well my license came in the mail today. 53 days.

On Lens' advice I did call after 23 days, and the very nice lady told me they were running way behind, the card had been issued, and they were waiting for a background check.

After my Maine permit came in (45 days), I just decided to wait for the NH one. No news is good news I figure. I don't think my "reason" caused the delay. Whatever it was, the permit is in my hand today, and I'm a happy camper.

EDIT: I just looked at the issue date on my NH license. it's 04-13-07. Sure took a long time for that background check! I better start behaving myself. [grin]

Last edited:
Mine took quite a while too- based on your timeline, our applications went in within a week of one another.

Happy to get it though- makes it even more enjoyable to spend time up there.

I used both of their reasons on the application.

Have to call PA now to see if the NH non-resident license offers us reciprocity down there (travelling there in the near future- too near to apply for their "Shall- Issue" NR license. I'll post on Friday if I get an answer when I have a chance to call them. According to packing.org, the NH NR permit allows us MA folks reciprocity.

They usually don't do background checks for NH NR CCWs if you present one from your home state that required such checks.

Mooney, sorry yours took so long but it makes me feel a little better that I wasn't the only one who was waiting. I was getting paranoid there for a bit.

I applied March 29th and received mine yesterday.

What was the issue date on yours. Mine was April 13th, and the postmark on the envelope was May 21st.

Interesting - I think NH is required by law to issue of 14 or 15 days (forgot which) unless that can identify a statuatory disqualifier - even if they do not yet have the record check back. I guess laws are only suggestions when they tell the government what to do.

Interesting - I think NH is required by law to issue of 14 or 15 days (forgot which) unless that can identify a statuatory disqualifier - even if they do not yet have the record check back. I guess laws are only suggestions when they tell the government what to do.

BINGO!

Give that man a cupie doll! [wink]

The gov't can violate all the laws they want and essentially there is no penalty to them! Worst case they get told by a court "don't do it again" . . . and they won't . . . until next time! [rolleyes]

I just got my letter the other day (less than a week after sending in the application) saying I forgot to send photocopies of my MA LTC. Will be sent again today.

When I last did mine in 2003, I stopped in at DPS on Hazen Drive. The nice lady made a photo copy of my MA LTC, had me fill out the one page form, and told me it would be about a week. It was. The time before I did it all by mail and it took about two weeks.

I don't remember having to put a reason down. I don't know if that's new or just because I forgot it. I do know that there is no reason on my license.

Gary

Interesting - I think NH is required by law to issue of 14 or 15 days (forgot which) unless that can identify a statutory dis-qualifier - even if they do not yet have the record check back. I guess laws are only suggestions when they tell the government what to do.

Rob, that explains why my permit is effective April 11th. I mailed it March 29, they dated it April 11th, which is within their 14 day stated requirement, but it wasn't mailed out until this month, 5/23.

They covered their bases with the date but I have no idea what caused the delay, maybe they only mail them when they have several hundred ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom