Ready to submit LTC/A ALP in Weymouth

So, I finally got all my ducks in a row and ready to submit the application to Weymouth. Since Chief Thomas had recently resigned, I was wondering who will conduct my interview: Capt Brian Callahan or Brian King the Licensing Officer? Are they more linient than Chief Thomas? I just want to know if anyone has dealt with these individuals that can give some pointers. Thanks.

I have and it will be Brian King.He is going to ask you why you need a ALP.He told me he does not hand them out.But dont go by me I was a different case.I do know that you need a letter stating the reason you need a ALP.My friend got one because he owns his own buisnessAlot of people dont like him because of this but as far as I was concerned he was very nice to me.Just play the game "yes sir no sir " and dont forget hes a cop with alot of power.Now I dont know but you may want to get a lawyer to go with you if you think you might have problem with a ALP.Theres a couple on this site that will help you out.Good luck!!

I went in there a month or so ago, He told me that He wouldnt even let me apply for ALP because I "Dont meet his requirements" In that im not a business owner, or able to document a reason to "Fear harm". He is being no more lenient since the old chief has been suspended. I wish you luck, but I wouldnt expect better than hunting and target unless you can come up with a story he likes, or have some pull somewhere.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking, should I wait a month or two until we have a new Chief of Police to submit my application or it does not matter because Brian King will handle the firearm licensing process.

Licensing Officers typically do NOT create the rules. In fact, they may not even agree with them. They are the "messenger" and most likely the rules are laid down by the Selectmen/Town Manager/Mayor/Chief.

Well, Messenger or not. He lays it down for us, so thats all I know. Who made the rules is immaterial to this conversation. The fact is its not an easy road in weymouth, whoever made it so.

Weymouth is rough. I got mine in 06 and an unrestricted at that time was only granted if you got a letter from your employer stating you needed to carry for work reasons. Other than that is hunt/target only. He isn't a bad guy personally, but he sticks to his rules and thats that. Its not worth fighting or arguing with him cuz then he will make things hard on you. I think he is pretty fair and reasonable on all other items, just not the unrestricted license.

Well, Messenger or not. He lays it down for us, so thats all I know. Who made the rules is immaterial to this conversation. The fact is its not an easy road in weymouth, whoever made it so.

It's not easy in a lot of places.

The whole system is totally capricious and arbitrary and makes a mockery of our individual liberties.

He isn't a bad guy personally, but he sticks to his rules and thats that. Its not worth fighting or arguing with him cuz then he will make things hard on you. I think he is pretty fair and reasonable on all other items, just not the unrestricted license.

Painful to read.

What kind of questions will be ask during the interview process if there is one?

He really didn't ask me too many questions. He just got a feel for what type of person I was I think. I had 0 issues with him and found him to be pretty personable. Whether or not we agree on the LTC restrictions or not is irrelevant. If you live in Weymouth and want and LTC then this is what you go through.

A couple of you mentioned that its against our civil liberties to deny us an unrestricted LTC, but thats how Weymouth. The laws in MA give a town the right to do it. Now towns like Hingham, Braintree, Quincy & Abington don't have a problem w/ issuing to unrestricted LTC A's to law abiding citizens in good standing. Weymouth does. Nothing you can do about it at this point in time.

Boston how do you know he is abusing his power?Mayby the chief told him thats the way it is.By no means am I defending him but it just might not be him...

Boston how do you know he is abusing his power?Mayby the chief told him thats the way it is.By no means am I defending him but it just might not be him...

There are two parts of the LTC process that gives a COP/licensing officer/etc unlimited discretion: the "suitability" clause and the field known as "restrictions" on our LTCs. SO long as a person isnt statutorily DQ'd, the licensing officer is still left to play with the permit on a whim. An abuse and violation of a right, if you ask me.

The laws in MA give a town the right to do it. Now towns like Hingham, Braintree, Quincy & Abington don't have a problem w/ issuing to unrestricted LTC A's to law abiding citizens in good standing. Weymouth does. Nothing you can do about it at this point in time.

I live in Braintree and just got a Work only LTC. I dont even have a speeding ticket on my record.

What I have heard its the chief not him.His hands are tied!!!Now on the same token I know he has given them out to "friends"

I believe this applies to business owners only.

This is correct per MGLs. If you are employee this is NOT an option. On the other hand, most chiefs won't issue LTCs to business owners who don't live in their town either . . . they will tell the applicant to apply in his/her resident town.

---------------------

People who are "connected" ALWAYS get preferential treatment, everywhere. That's just life! I took advantage of this when I was an engineer and a former classmate and friend from college was a DEC field service supervisor . . . I needed help and got it for my employer. I'd guess that few of us haven't called in some cards at times in our personal or professional lives.

I've met Brian King (LO) a few times professionally over the past 30 years. I can almost guarantee that he doesn't make the decisions at Weymouth PD!

What if the CHIEF tells him dont give LTCS out ??

same statement still stands. It is still someoine playing with an agenda. As for giving out out only friends? Any proof of that I would suspect could be used against the COP in court if someone challenged their LTC restrictions.

Except you cant legally challenge restrictions as it is not a denial, right? No appeal process for them, I mean they gave you the license, that should be enough. Right...? [puke]

You people crack me up.I still think he is a nice guy mass diver and I will tell you why.I statedthat he did give some out to friends yes this is true but what I would really like to know is what world do you live in??You say to some one that gets a restricted lic. to either get a lawyer or move.One I dont think alot of people can afford a lawyer to fight something like this,and not knowing if they are going to win the case or not.I will tell you that if it was me the only time I would hire a lawyer is if I really needed one,arrested,house,divorce,something along those lines.I would never spend my hard earned cash to fight to get my LTC with no restrictions I just could not afford it and most if not all of the people I hang around with could either.The next answer most of the time is move to a green town...LOL!!!!Honey pack the kids up we are moving out of Weymouth to Quincy....Mommy why are we moving?So daddy can get a LTC/with no retrictions in Quincy!!!PLEASE!!!!Now getting back to Brian King does he make you jump through hoops?No.Does he bust your balls when you see him and you act like an adult?No.Does he do favors for people?Yes.Does he make you join a gun club??No.Does he give out Class-B Lic.No.I went there just for my FID card as I had a old one that was typed in good unless suspended or revoked.He was the one that told me to get my LTC because it cost the same amount of money and I still had to go through a firearms course.Is it right that he dosent believe in your right to own and carry guns.NoBut believe me there are far more cops in different towns that wont give you the time of day not to mention a LTC.So I still stand by what I said hes not a bad guy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom