Ready to rock at the home front - your thoughts?

I think he means "home invasion", not "the Russians are coming!"

OP, get some Tactical Walls. :)

Len, can they legally search the house for firearms if they respond to a heart attack, or do they need some kind of pretext, like they see a firearm on your couch etc?

Anything in plain view is fair game. They may also get away with searching for a Medic Alert card, wallet (assume it is on bureau in bedroom, not on person in kitchen/living room), etc. If they can articulate another reason for being where they are and they SEE something, it can and will be used against the person.

Someone having a heart attack may well dial 911 and not be able to secure all those hidden guns before the cavalry arrive.

Well then that's a variable that someone with a heart condition (like me) needs to keep in mind and make the determination of what works for them. As for me, my condition is reason I carry on my person 99% of the time in the house.

Anything in plain view is fair game. They may also get away with searching for a Medic Alert card, wallet (assume it is on bureau in bedroom, not on person in kitchen/living room), etc. If they can articulate another reason for being where they are and they SEE something, it can and will be used against the person.

Ok thanks - I keep everything locked up to be on the safe side but was curious about the law.

1) Carry. Just do it. Figure out where your convenience vs comfort point lies. I've got a snub in a pocket holster and two speed strips on me 90% of the time. Not as effective as a full-sized semi-auto with two spare mags, but it'll buy me time to get to more gun if I need it, and it guarantees that I'll have it on me instead of leaving it behind because it's inconvenient or uncomfortable.

2) +1 on the Santa Cruz gun locks advice, at least for your long arms.

3) Minimize the motor skills required to open the locks. Fort Knox makes an awesome pistol box with a Simplex style lock. Two buttons and twist.

This led me to believe that we were talking about a home invasion...in the event some scumbag(s) come busting in unannounced.

Maybe you should re-read my post before commenting with such a snide remark. But I understand it's fun to be the first one to hop on the humor train.

In an invasion type scenario, in Boston, I live far enough away to have notice. Where someone living in Cambridge might not get notice. I also don't have to deal with riots and protests, no one comes to Mason to do that.

Crime certainly is everywhere. But I'm comfortable knowing that if someone were to break into my house, for whatever reason, the law will be on my side. Rather than being against me, which would be the case in MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This led me to believe that we were talking about a home invasion...in the event some scumbag(s) come busting in unannounced.

My apologies. I meant a riot/war type situation. Living away from the city gives you a chance to get your shit together. Since those things most likely form in the city.

For a break-in; my dog and my alarm system should be good enough to let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

land of the free.

I am going to install a moat. Just cuz I have always wanted to be the only house with a moat. Besides, I just like the word MOOOOAT. (you know you just said it to yourself)

Then I shall fill it with sharks. Sharks with fricken lasers. And crocodiles.
Who wants to help me build a drawbridge?

When I go to bed at night I have my Glock 21 within arms reach of me, when Im downstairs on the couch watching TV I have it on my coffee table within arms reach and I feel that is good enough,at least for me. I think the OP's best bet is to holster carry while at home going through his routine and when going to bed put it on the nightstand if he has one near his bed. Im not sure there is a better option. Im not a big fan of keeping various firearms loaded and ready to go around the house, especially ones that have a trigger lock on it or in a safe, in an instant shit goes down unlocking it and being ready might not be realistic. Also as soon as you enter the house lock the doors!

Why were the police illegally searching your house?
Seriously, just curious if you took any action after the fact?
Thank you.

This. No matter where you are in my house you are never more than 10ft from a loaded gun.
That could get expensive, especially in NH where everything comes with standard capacity magazines. Ammo costs alone...
1zmefch.jpg

Can the gun be anywhere in your home out in the open, but be legally ok if it has trigger lock on it? or would it also have to be in a safe?

Trigger locks comply with the law. However, putting a trigger lock on a loaded gun is a very stupid idea and can lead to negligent discharge! An unloaded gun is nothing other than a brick (if steel)!

Why were the police illegally searching your house?
Seriously, just curious if you took any action after the fact?
Thank you.

Folks, it happens. Cops claim plain view, get a warrant, etc. There's a case in Springfield where a gun was in a bedside table, in a circumstance where the owner was home, ostensibly in "control". He got charged because his unlicensed girlfriend had access. Improperly stored large capacity firearm near children, lifetime ban. Everyone has to make their own call, but understand the risks and prepare accordingly. If you keep firearms in your home don't assume the police are only coming in if you let them. Shit happens.

Last edited:
Folks, it happens. Cops claim plain view, get a warrant, etc. There's a case in Springfield where a gun was in a bedside table, in a circumstance where the owner was home, ostensibly in "control". He got charged because his unlicensed girlfriend had access. The new law carries a 1.5 year sentence, which means a guilty is a lifetime ban. Everyone has to make their own call, but understand the risks and prepare accordingly. If you keep firearms in your home don't assume the police are only coming in if you let them. Shit happens.
1.5 years doesn't make you a PP.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If you are the one calling the cops and allowing them into your house, you should probably already have a way to secure the firearm prior to their arrival. If someone else calls them on you and you let them enter without a warrant, you've already major league ****ed up anyways.

Someone having a heart attack may well dial 911 and not be able to secure all those hidden guns before the cavalry arrive.

Or if your wife is the one calling because you are unconcious or something she may not have the wherewithal to think about hiding guns properly... I've told my wife many times if I'm incapacitated, to find a way to drag my carcass onto the front porch so as not to invite first responders in the house for any reason!

Or if your wife is the one calling because you are unconcious or something she may not have the wherewithal to think about hiding guns properly... I've told my wife many times if I'm incapacitated, to find a way to drag my carcass onto the front porch so as not to invite first responders in the house for any reason!
Just because it isn't stored per state law, that doesn't mean it is kept right out in the open for everyone to see. I highly doubt first responders are going to start searching in drawers or under cushions in order to revive you.

I understand it needs to be locked when I am not in direct control, but can it be loaded and locked and considered legal?
Always had a tough time getting a direct answer on this for Mass. I thought the laws didn't like the magazine loaded even if in safe and locked....but I very well could be wrong. I try and read up on Mass laws to stay compliant and come away with more questions and confusion.

Just because it isn't stored per state law, that doesn't mean it is kept right out in the open for everyone to see. I highly doubt first responders are going to start searching in drawers or under cushions in order to revive you.

In my case the cops arrived before the ambulance when we had an emergency. After the paramedics arrived one cop ordered me and my son into another room so he could talk to us. While I was in effect being detained in the other room there were several other cops all over the house doing who knows what. In this day and age where cops seemingly do almost whatever they please and routinely get away with it anything is possible.

It's not ideal, but I sprinkle pepper spray canisters around the house. If I'm not carrying I figure that at least gives me a chance to get to a gun or get out of the house. My kitchen is full of knives, I have blunt/pokey/stabby/hitty things in pretty much every room. I have a couple panic buttons for the alarm that would at least help disorient any intruder(s) and give me another opportunity to get where I need to go.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to have illegally stashed guns throughout your house to give yourself a fighting chance. You should do a likelihood/consequence tradeoff for yourself and decide what is best for your situation.

^^^this is a good legal angle i feel...i have a few aluminum tee ball bats hidden around my house...if you need to lock multiple loaded pistols just buy a few of these pistol boxes or something similar and put them around the house...buy the wall adapter so the battery pack is just a backup power source...the key is a last resort...
http://www.amazon.com/Gunmaster-Sportsafe-DOJ-Portable-Safe/dp/B0002ILCV6

In my case the cops arrived before the ambulance when we had an emergency. After the paramedics arrived one cop ordered me and my son into another room so he could talk to us. While I was in effect being detained in the other room there were several other cops all over the house doing who knows what. In this day and age where cops seemingly do almost whatever they please and routinely get away with it anything is possible.

Not knowing the nature of the "emergency", it's still difficult for me to imagine being "ordered" anywhere in my own house, let alone giving anyone free access to my property, without warrant or cause.

Same here and for the same reason. The best EDC setup is one you can wear all day comfortably.
That's exactly what I do, all day everyday. I feel naked without one. Why play squirrel and hide firearms all over the house when you can have one with you all the time. Yes, it is possible to have one all the time.

What good is the firearm under the bookshelf when you are taking a sh$t in the bathroom.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom