• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

Yet you have had to have one for years 🤔

Um, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Those are the stupidest reasons to be in favor of or not object to something.

More required paperwork means more ways they can hassle you or put you in jail.

"I'm already bleeding, I might as well cut myself again."

"I've already got lead poisoning, I don't see the point in HEPA filters at ranges."

If we're already tracked everywhere and are required to have licences for everything, and if it's already a totalitarian/authoritarian state, then there's ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in Real ID. It's just an extra cost (financial and from a free-state perspective) that gains us nothing.

It's the same stupid argument for/against gun control, but backwards.

"We already have lots of gun laws, why do we need more?" Sound familiar?

How about this:

"We need to close the XXX loophole! To save the children!"

Never willingly allow more control, even if it seems like a foregone conclusion already.

"I've already got lead poisoning, I don't see the point in HEPA filters at ranges."

If we're already tracked everywhere and are required to have licences for everything, and if it's already a totalitarian/authoritarian state, then there's ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in Real ID. It's just an extra cost (financial and from a free-state perspective) that gains us nothing.

How about this:

Never willingly allow more control, even if it seems like a foregone conclusion already.
I didn't say I was in favor of anything

How about this:

Blah blah blah. If you travelled you’d realize it’s easier to get the various clearances like Global Entry Or Clear or TSA pre. Fact is they know who you are when you buy your ticket and rhebTSA check is only to match the name on your license with the passenger list (which is why you just show your real is and no boarding pass). Is it extra cost, yes. Is it likely done more fricientky another way? Yes. This is the system we have and I use it. I hate to see money wasted but just like the waste of billions going to Ukraine there’s not much I can do aside from vote

Mine, was not.

Was during COVID, my RMV adventure was well documented on here lol
I had an appointment in Plymouth to renew my CDL, pipe burst they closed on my day. Called to reschedule, I had to go to Fall River or my license would have expired. The registry sucks but the real id was a piece of cake.

Blah blah blah. If you travelled you’d realize it’s easier to get the various clearances like Global Entry Or Clear or TSA pre. Fact is they know who you are when you buy your ticket and rhebTSA check is only to match the name on your license with the passenger list (which is why you just show your real is and no boarding pass). Is it extra cost, yes. Is it likely done more fricientky another way? Yes. This is the system we have and I use it. I hate to see money wasted but just like the waste of billions going to Ukraine there’s not much I can do aside from vote

I don't travel a ton, but a fair amount. I refuse to pay additional money and go through the application bullshit on principle.

f***ing security theatre.

f*** Real ID. Aka another step towards social credit scores via universal ID.
The bigger part of Real ID was setting standards for states to have a certain level of security on the ID, I doubt we'll ever hit the deadline for people to need it

I don't travel a ton, but a fair amount. I refuse to pay additional money and go through the application bullshit on principle.

There is no added fee. Just some additional stuff you need to bring with you when you renew your license.

And just what principle is that you are holding onto? Why is it bad that we make it harder to get a false government ID?

There is no added fee. Just some additional stuff you need to bring with you when you renew your license.

And just what principle is that you are holding onto? Why is it bad that we make it harder to get a false government ID?
The problem people will always get a ID that works. The liberal DemocRATS don't care if those problem people have fake IDs or not. It's another way to accomplish income redistribution to those problem people.

I didn’t bother gathering up all the documents. I’m not going to fly ever again because I hate TSA and I don’t go anywhere near metal detectors. Same thing with federal buildings. It’s no loss to me if I never go into a federal building.

And all that "additional stuff" is free, without fees, in what universe, again? Is your time free?

Why is it good to require government IDs for anything?

The problem people will always get a ID that works. The liberal DemocRATS don't care if those problem people have fake IDs or not. It's another way to accomplish income redistribution to those problem people.
How does making an ID harder to fake have anything to do with income redistribution?

I repeat my statement above — you guys are like teenagers with an oppositional complex. Mom and Dad tell you to do something and you say no just because.

And all that "additional stuff" is free, without fees, in what universe, again? Is your time free?

Why is it good to require government IDs for anything?
There was no additional cost to me to take my social security card, passport, and what not out of my bureau.

So now you think voter ID is a bad thing?

How does making an ID harder to fake have anything to do with income redistribution?

I repeat my statement above — you guys are like teenagers with an oppositional complex. Mom and Dad tell you to do something and you say no just because.
We have learned to want less government in our lives. It's a good thing.

I’ll get my real ID when we bring back the down vote on here…

Think about all the time we will save me not righting incoherent posts and you trying to read them.

It is pure theater. Watch it sometime. I did for an hour one day while having a few beers at the restaurant after security. They refuse to profile so they drag out of line 80+ yr old vets in wheelchairs or that need canes and swab and scan them. Or the best was the idiot who opened bottles of infant formula to smell it which apparently was the best way to determine if it’s explosive or breast milk. I will says since I spent the money I no longer get “random” searches which occurred at least 2 times a month before.

It actually costs $10 more in NH.

but yes, much ado about nothing

I have four different 'real IDs' with the only cost being that $10 and no extra time.

In the meantime, I want voters to prove their ID before they vote and not be able to vote in multiple states.

A national ID card required for travel (only required for travel for now) is one of the necessary steps on the path to an authoritarian/totalitarian government.
Well, it's already signed into law (2005). Good luck getting it repealed.
f*** Real ID. Aka another step towards social credit scores via universal ID.
It's not universal ID. Each state still has their own ID's, and each has different standards to obtain a REAL ID. We get people coming in from FL, MA, wherever each day. They complain since they already have "REAL ID", but NH has different requirements to issue it, so they need to meet NH standards in order to get it.
The bigger part of Real ID was setting standards for states to have a certain level of security on the ID, I doubt we'll ever hit the deadline for people to need it
Probably not, since each state sets different requirements.

I didn’t bother gathering up all the documents. I’m not going to fly ever again because I hate TSA and I don’t go anywhere near metal detectors. Same thing with federal buildings. It’s no loss to me if I never go into a federal building.
Must be you are not a Vet, who'll need to get into the VA. Or you'll never have to travel by air. I'm not getting a passport (no need; I can barely afford to cross a state border for a weekend getaway, let alone go to another country), but do have family in other states who are older. I may need to get there in a hurry, by air.

ETA: I'm not in favor of, or opposed to, REAL ID. I've had customers who come in and can get a passport, but can't get REAL ID because of things like missing marriage/divorce licenses.

Back
Top Bottom