• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Suicide @ Bob's Tactical In Salisbury

maybe he was afraid of heights,didnt have access to pills and there arent many people who survive a suicide by gun attempt, because failing at suicide and ending up paralyzed would be worse than suicide imo.

FZ had it right when he said "make sure you do it right the first time, nothings worse than a suicide chump"

[video=youtube_share;d3oAsWOTLkg]http://youtu.be/d3oAsWOTLkg[/video]

Usually, I pretty much agree completely with everything that comes out of your mouth but I have to disagree with you here.

The military is not a statistically random sample representation of the US population. There was a recent article about this. Most people in the .mil come from the southern or western US and, more broadly, RURAL areas. This is true from published studies as well as anecdotaly, ask anyone from the north who has served how many southern accents they were around at any given time. Ask how many people were from middle of nowhere towns vs major cities.

You are making the same mistake newgunguy is in comparing us to the cops. Trust me, Ive met 1 or 2 people in the military that I could legitimately say knew nothing about guns and had no interest, thats it. Take my OCS class for example a few years back, we had 33 in our company and every single person owned more than 1 gun and every single person had a CCW permit of some type, the majority had multiple CCW permits covering multiple states. People who go through the effort to carry as much as possible where ever they can I would describe as more than the "casual" IDGAF gun owner.

Boil it down, the military breaks shit and kills people. Yes we do some really nice things for a lot of people/countries in between but thats basically what the institution is designed to do. Do you think it attracts many people with no interest in firearms and things that go bang? The cops have a completely different mission but apparently fewer and fewer are getting that memo.

Thinking about it, you're probably right. I guess my perspective just becomes jaundiced whenever I run into these ex mil types that know virtually nothing about guns or never fired one outside of the service. Might be a generational thing too... most of the guys that I know that were in in the last 20 years are more likely to be gun owners than those before that, etc. Obviously geographic distribution plays a role- if someone in the service is from TX, etc, there's probably a 90% chance at least someone in their immediate household has at least one or more guns.

-Mike

My first post, ever. Let me start off with a loud, *SIGH*.

It was only a matter of time before something like this occurred at this location. Depending on who is working at the shop for the day, you might have a great encounter with the staff--sometimes, you might want to punch the person behind the counter in the face. But, that can certainly happen at any store... The thing is, when they say PUBLIC.. they mean PUBLIC. That range is as public as a 'porter-potty' at a festival. They DO NOT ask for I.D, they don't ask for anything pretty much. All you do is sign a waiver, (they don't really check if you put your real name or a bogus name)... They ask you if you've been there before or if you know how to handle a firearm and that's about it. Who wants to say "No, I don't" anyway? Anyone can just walk in with some cash and rent a firearm.......and pretty much figure out how to use it right then and there, next to all these people that might be just like them.

I've had some close calls in there before.. and the only reason why I go there at least 3 times a month, is because I have been lazy to pick up an application for my local gun club. You pretty much shoot amongst a bunch of Call Of Duty addicts or people that want to feel cool about shooting a gun, but have no training or have never handled a firearm before. They should definitely make it a little harder to shoot there, at least. I will be picking up an application to my local gun club this weekend. Obviously, this person was not a firearms owner..... since he had to rent one to use it to off himself. It's a sad situation but they need to tighten up their policies more!

It was only a matter of time before something like this occurred at this location. Depending on who is working at the shop for the day, you might have a great encounter with the staff--sometimes, you might want to punch the person behind the counter in the face. But, that can certainly happen at any store... The thing is, when they say PUBLIC.. they mean PUBLIC. That range is as public as a 'porter-potty' at a festival. They DO NOT ask for I.D, they don't ask for anything pretty much. All you do is sign a waiver, (they don't really check if you put your real name or a bogus name)... They ask you if you've been there before or if you know how to handle a firearm and that's about it. Who wants to say "No, I don't" anyway? Anyone can just walk in with some cash and rent a firearm.......and pretty much figure out how to use it right then and there, next to all these people that might be just like them.

I've had some close calls in there before.. and the only reason why I go there at least 3 times a month, is because I have been lazy to pick up an application for my local gun club. You pretty much shoot amongst a bunch of Call Of Duty addicts or people that want to feel cool about shooting a gun, but have no training or have never handled a firearm before. They should definitely make it a little harder to shoot there, at least. I will be picking up an application to my local gun club this weekend. Obviously, this person was not a firearms owner..... since he had to rent one to use it to off himself. It's a sad situation but they need to tighten up their policies more!

I don't doubt what you posted, but how would that help prevent a suicide?

I agree about the dangers of shooting on a public range and that is why I have never done it other than during two NES tours of S&W. I had the opportunity to shoot at AFS a few times for free back in their early days but didn't do it, just watched others from behind the glass.

Licenses are taken as collateral and POI.

I agree about the dangers of shooting on a public range and that is why I have never done it other than during two NES tours of S&W. I had the opportunity to shoot at AFS a few times for free back in their early days but didn't do it, just watched others from behind the glass.

You are right, there is no possible way to prevent a suicide. I didn't say that on my post because that is something that we should all know! As far as this not being the first time.... How long ago was it that someone killed themselves at BOBS? I know about the suicide at North Attleboro Firearms School but never heard about something like this happening at Bobs. Everything I said does not apply to a suicide but at least this suicide opens up the discussion about safety in that shop. They should definitely put a range officer there, watching everyone and enforcing their rules. It's a sad situation and can definitely happen ANYWHERE! Their new policy will NOT prevent a suicide neither.

You are right, there is no possible way to prevent a suicide. I didn't say that on my post because that is something that we should all know! As far as this not being the first time.... How long ago was it that someone killed themselves at BOBS? I know about the suicide at North Attleboro Firearms School but never heard about something like this happening at Bobs. Everything I said does not apply to a suicide but at least this suicide opens up the discussion about safety in that shop. They should definitely put a range officer there, watching everyone and enforcing their rules. It's a sad situation and can definitely happen ANYWHERE! Their new policy will NOT prevent a suicide neither.
2/2011 IIRC

No real way to stop a person from killing him self . But can stop me from being shot from a dumb ass that doesn't know any thing about guns and muzzle sweeping me cause my 45 is loud and scared them . A ro would help so much at that place .

I used to go there to rent some odd ball guns they have to try out. I'd go at times when I new it wouldn't be busy . When it was freezing out side was the best . 90% of the time there not looking at the shooters . I was sick of playing ro after the first time I went on a weekend . I like the shop when its not busy and they do have some cool stuff .

To top it off they let you rent broken guns. Rented a 44mag de on my bday before I got my ltc After my safety class. The safety was broken off.the thing Jamed every other pins . Handing some one a a 44mag that never really handle a gun and expecting them to clear jams is pretty crazy . My brother didnt drop the mag and pulled the slide back and pulled the round out by hand when he let the slide go it slammed fired . Look at the walls the first few feet wtf are there bullet marks there ...

Just saying public ranges should have a ro. Call me a statist etc but new gun owners or people who never held a gun should have a eye on them . Heck a basically verb test and show and tell how a weapons works would be a step up.

First time I was at bobs 2 years ago the kid was joking about how the camera footage of a guy killing him self was deleted . Not sure if he was talking a about there range or what.

Last edited:

Okay so safety at the shop for something that is just about impossible to prevent, then what would you say about the other thread of the guy that jumped of the damn bridge? Should we pay to have cages or nets built around the bridges to stop people from jumping off, or how about some new fancy expensive gadget in a car to stop people from sitting in an enclosed space while it's running. It is sad yes, but at least he didn't go and be a coward and hurt others!

Charles.

Okay so safety at the shop for something that is just about impossible to prevent, then what would you say about the other thread of the guy that jumped of the damn bridge? Should we pay to have cages or nets built around the bridges to stop people from jumping off, or how about some new fancy expensive gadget in a car to stop people from sitting in an enclosed space while it's running. It is sad yes, but at least he didn't go and be a coward and hurt others!

Charles.
If it were MY business. I would have supervision to protect MY business interest at the very least.

Like I said, there is virtually no way to prevent this from happening. BUT..... we can now discuss safety in that range. SAFETY as in... you going to shoot a few rounds with your own firearm next to a kid that is learning how to use a firearm for his first time at that exact moment and he's learning as he goes along! I've had to tell people a few times to watch their muzzle because they were using the rented firearm as a pointer.!! (pointing AT PEOPLE!!!)

If it were MY business. I would have supervision to protect MY business interest at the very least.

Yes that could help in the idiots that muzzle sweep people but If you were a range officer and was standing behind someone that wanted to use a firearm to commit suicide, there would be no way their reflexes would be fast enough unless the person hesitated. That is all that I'm saying, I have been to Bob's before and yes sometimes it is pretty sketchy in there, but no way anyone would be able to stop someone. I don't want to get into a peeing contest about this, but nothing is a 100% and no way this could've been stopped unless someone could read minds in there.

Charles.

That article is almost 3 years old.

Yeah, I was referring to the guy that said it has happened before! And to Charles, have you been to Bob's Tactical Shooting Range before? Have you seen some of the people that walk in that place? Their language, the way they speak about guns and their reactions to firearms at that shop?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that could help in the idiots that muzzle sweep people but If you were a range officer and was standing behind someone that wanted to use a firearm to commit suicide, there would be no way their reflexes would be fast enough unless the person hesitated. That is all that I'm saying, I have been to Bob's before and yes sometimes it is pretty sketchy in there, but no way anyone would be able to stop someone. I don't want to get into a peeing contest about this, but nothing is a 100% and no way this could've been stopped unless someone could read minds in there.

Charles.

I'm NOT arguing about that.... LOL.....if he wanted to kill himself, oh well. At least he didn't shoot anyone else but himself. I'm just saying, now is a good time to talk about OVERALL SAFETY in that location. Not about preventing suicide... LOL

Yeah, I was referring to the guy that said it has happened before! And to Charles, have you been to Bob's Tactical Shooting Range before? Have you seen some of the people that walk in that place? Their language, the way they speak about guns and their reactions to firearms at that shop?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm NOT arguing about that.... LOL.....if he wanted to kill himself, oh well. At least he didn't shoot anyone else but himself. I'm just saying, now is a good time to talk about OVERALL SAFETY in that location. Not about preventing suicide... LOL
Here you go.Beverly man kills self inside Salisbury gun store » Local News » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

It was a S&W 500.

You mean, the same one they have AVAILABLE TO RENT right NOW??? [shocked] Maybe they should hang a "IF YOU WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE DO NOT DO IT HERE" or "SUICIDE IS NOT THE ANSWER" somewhere in there. LOL.. I guess this is a regular occurrence, I had no idea. Why did they decide to update their rental policy now?

You mean, the same one they have AVAILABLE TO RENT right NOW??? [shocked] Maybe they should hang a "IF YOU WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE DO NOT DO IT HERE" or "SUICIDE IS NOT THE ANSWER" somewhere in there. LOL.. I guess this is a regular occurrence, I had no idea. Why did they decide to update their rental policy now?
Because it's bottom of the ninth and they have two strikes.

- - - Updated - - -

So you think it's the location of the gun store that is the cause of the trouble, or maybe it's just the people are able to get there to do that! Remember, gun related suicides do happen all around the country and yes some are at the same place, so maybe it's the people around the place are the ones that are messed up and nothing would stop it. A range officer couldn't be standing there and able to watch and stop everything and they can't afford to hire people to stand at all the lanes, because well then it would be just to damn expensive to go there. About the only thing they could do is to maybe take pictures of people who don't follow the rules and start to ban them from the range. Also remember it is a class of people that are in the area that go there that makes a difference too.

Charles.

So you think it's the location of the gun store that is the cause of the trouble, or maybe it's just the people are able to get there to do that! Remember, gun related suicides do happen all around the country and yes some are at the same place, so maybe it's the people around the place are the ones that are messed up and nothing would stop it. A range officer couldn't be standing there and able to watch and stop everything and they can't afford to hire people to stand at all the lanes, because well then it would be just to damn expensive to go there. About the only thing they could do is to maybe take pictures of people who don't follow the rules and start to ban them from the range. Also remember it is a class of people that are in the area that go there that makes a difference too.

Charles.

Well, in a way.. yes.. I didn't want to bring THAT up but I can't generalize. I come from a part of Massachusetts that is one of the poorest in the state and certain type of people live here but I am nothing like them-- at least when it comes to firearms and other things. I think they should at least give people a list of rules along with the waiver and have them sign... let them know to point the firearm DOWN RANGE at all times and if any muzzle sweeping is seen, they must leave and possible be banned from renting again. Have you ever been to a public pool (as nasty as it can be) and see a kid doing something that is breaking the rules, and a life guard blows his whistle and gives the kid a warning? Something like that. I've brought a guest with me a few times and the best that I can do is bring them over to my house and show them how to use my firearm with some dummy rounds, then I give them a speech about gun safety and what to do and not do. Maybe they should only allow people without LTC to rent if they have a sponsor with them (someone who is LICENSED) ?

I found out from a friend, the guy who killed himself was married to a college friend of his girlfriend. I guess it was one of her bestfriends husband. My friend was at this guys wedding 5 months ago. My friend didn't know him at all, I don't think his girlfriend knew him much at all either. I do not believe they had any children but thats just a educated guess. I would guess he had underlying issues for a while and people didn't know or didn't think it was to this level. Sad and stupid.

I found out from a friend, the guy who killed himself was married to a college friend of his girlfriend. I guess it was one of her bestfriends husband. My friend was at this guys wedding 5 months ago. My friend didn't know him at all, I don't think his girlfriend knew him much at all either. I do not believe they had any children but thats just a educated guess. I would guess he had underlying issues for a while and people didn't know or didn't think it was to this level. Sad and stupid.

Is this true? It sounds a lot like Dark Helmet

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former room-mate

This is the reason for the full retard policy I've had for four years now in regards to not renting to single people unless they can prove they have had training/LTC etc. 99% these fit the profile. I've taken a few beatings on the policy "even on here" but since the last one four years ago at the old building - not a single clean up on isle 9... These selfish people suck! Boston Gun Club was closed down due to this sh#t and it can happen anywhere. Thank God he only shot himself and all are safe at Bob's! Jim

Thank God he only shot himself and all are safe at Bob's! Jim

Agree.

Jim - Thanks for shedding light on why your policy is in place and how it works. I hope the folks up there at Bob's create a similar policy and it works as well.

I feel sorry for the folks that have to clean up and maintain a business under such circumstances - I feel equally as bad for the family and friends of the man.

Back
Top Bottom