Range in Medfield/not WGC

GaryO

NES Member
I have been walking my dog at the former state hospital in Medfield and have noticed that there is an awful lot of shooting going on at this range on RT 27. I don't know if it's just for LEO or a privately owned range. Anyone know about this?

Medfield
Massachusetts 02052
42.207073, -71.342711

It's a police training range. I think it is on state property and managed by the PD.

I do my annual LEOSA qualification there.
That explains the line last week because they had a sign that read LEOSA with an arrow into the parking lot. Some days it sounds like a warzone around there. I used to spend a lot of time duck hunting and fishing that area of the river and don't remember it so it must be fairly new.

That explains the line last week because they had a sign that read LEOSA with an arrow into the parking lot. Some days it sounds like a warzone around there. I used to spend a lot of time duck hunting and fishing that area of the river and don't remember it so it must be fairly new.

I rember it being there since around 2000....

Been there since 1993 when i lived there
Probably the last time I hunted back there. I remember because I saw a duck that had been winged and couldn't fly so I grabbed it and broke it's neck and threw it into the canoe. A game warden was in the parking lot to check on hunters and I told him about the duck, figuring that I was in trouble but he said it was the humane thing to do.

Been driving by it for a couple years now. I think about a year ago, they had the gate open and there was some sort of sign but couldn't make it out. Thought it was extremely random since it's in the middle of the woods. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on on Google maps and it looked like a shooting range. Tried doing all sorts of googling but nothing really showed up about a shooting range. One day I happened to be driving by it when the gate was open and heard gunshots. There was also a sign that had something about Medfield Police. That's when I figured out what is was for.

Medfield Police control access to that range. I think that I was told that it was actually state property. From what I can gather, it is used by a few police departments and some LEO trainers. I've seen the gate closed many times while driving by there.

I grew up in Sherborn, that range has been in use for decades. Duck hunted there in the 70's and it was in use then, as Len says local PD's use it.

I live in Medfield. And I'm getting old...

The fella that takes care of Mefield's firearms and does the training went to high school with my daughter!

I give him credit. He regularly trains the team there and makes sure they are competent. And he brings in other trainers to help them improve.

Although the most common use of firearms here in town is to dispatch an injured animal I'm glad they don't let their skills get stale.

I have been walking my dog at the former state hospital in Medfield and have noticed that there is an awful lot of shooting going on at this range on RT 27. I don't know if it's just for LEO or a privately owned range. Anyone know about this?

Medfield
Massachusetts 02052
42.207073, -71.342711

That's the local PD range and it might be best to steer clear. They're known to come down on persons "visiting"...

I grew up in Sherborn, that range has been in use for decades. Duck hunted there in the 70's and it was in use then, as Len says local PD's use it.
I must have not noticed it because of all the hunting going on in those swamps. I swear it was like a cartoon seeing all the blinds as we would be canoeing past.
As for seeing the gates open, I always drive by around 8 -9 am so someone must be in there, some days it sounds like a small battle going on.

Back
Top Bottom