• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range day with my grandfather

DW357

NES Member
Well I finally got my grandfather back to the range with me today. Been probably 7-8 years or so. Anyway, he had to confirm his deer rifle was zeroed. He's got a Savage model 99 in .300 Savage that he bought it in 1954 and has taken over 50 deer with it over the years...

I've never been deer hunting before while my dad and grandfather have been going for 50-60 years in Maine. But over the last few years my grandfather has mentioned he'd like for me to join them. He's 87 years old and I need to go while he's still with us.

I never had much interest in deer hunting but think it should fun to be with my dad and grandfather. Took a whole week off of work next week to allow me to go with them.

Anyway, I made sure to bring my Winchester M1 Carbine, Remington 1903A3, and my Swiss K31 (will be using for deer) for my grandfather to try out. Didn't have the room to bring the M1 Garand unfortunately :-(

My grandfather LOVED the reduced 30-06 rounds that I loaded with 14 gr of Trailboss powder. Barely any recoil. He was in disbelief that he was actually shooting 30-06. He said he wished his 300 savage hunting ammo had recoil like that lol.

He also shot the M1 Carbine where he struggled with the sights being he needs glasses to read and has mangled fingers from arthritis lol. He did much better with the 1903A3.

He's very familiar with shooting rifles as he was on the rifle team in high school before serving in the army during the Korean War.

All in all it was a great day shooting with my grandfather. Looking forward to deer hunting next week.

This is him ready to fire his Model 99
511bef82780627ad19f75bc59396e2c6.png

757a75a288767cfac4a54a6494b60674.png

Shooting the 1903A3:
77f00d45fecd04c307318a78cda2a2cf.png

Shooting the M1 Carbine:
21ca3e4c4230877c79446a5c66c4b361.png

37ff31cd1fc8bb9071f688b1688cfb1e.jpg

7555cb11ed00068c63e0398aedfd2801.png

Last edited:
That’s an experience you will cherish forever. Post about your hunt in Maine when back.

Will do! I'm kinda pissed at myself that I've waited this long to decide to join them [sad2] Never should have let school/work get in the way of spending time with my dad and grandfather.
But I'm confident that he'll still be with us for awhile. He still walks/jogs 2 miles a day lol. Hopefully I have got his genes![laugh]

This is so rad. I'm jealous of you, friend. I've got neither father nor grandfather. Cherish both while you can.

Sorry to hear that [sad2] I'm sure you have plenty of great memories and experiences with them.

I'm definitely cherishing this while I can. Many times I forget how old him and my grandmother are since they're so active in their late 80s. But after seeing my wife lose both grandmothers within 6 months, it's put the fire under my ass to make sure I see them as much as I can.

Forgot to say you that you picked the right iron to bring to the range. Some nice looking examples of a Carbine and 03A3.

Forgot to say you that you picked the right iron to bring to the range. Some nice looking examples of a Carbine and 03A3.

Thanks! My grandfather hasn't shot a 03 or Carbine since he was in the service or in high school. Was nice to get him reacquainted with them [grin]

Mad I couldn't bring the Garand though....

You'll never regret making those memories.
My friend just sent me a picture of himself , his son and grandson with the 700 pound moose they got together last week. Biggest smiles on all three you ever saw.

I lost both my grandfathers at a young age.
My Dad and I made some great hunting memories.
Our last hunt together we shot two wild russian boars at the same time.
Dropped them both right next to each other.
Three days after we got back he took a major stroke.
You never know how much time you'll have with them .
Don't pass up an opportunity.

Absolutely wonderful! You are on the right track to spend time with your father and grandfather. Wish mine were still around...

Simply awesome.
I have wonderful memories of bay fishing with grandfather and father on the Chesapeake. He and my father are long dead and the memories are cherished.
Good luck and thank you for sharing.

I always loved hunting with my dad and grandfather. It was quality time I got to spend out in the woods with them, and it's been close to 10 years since the last time I got to do that. Like you, my grandfather's getting up there (he'll be 90 next year), and I'm not sure how many more hunts he's got left in him. So I decided this year I'm spending the outrageous amount of money to get my out of state PA hunting license and next month I'll be out in the woods with him for opening day of buck season.

Enjoy your hunt! It's little things like that that we take for granted and we end up missing the most.

Great story. Glad your dad and grand-dad are still in good health.
My grandfather was a hunter and an author and he taught me how to use guns safely and shoot when I was about 6 years old.
An experience I'll never forget.
Good luck on your trip.

I always loved hunting with my dad and grandfather. It was quality time I got to spend out in the woods with them, and it's been close to 10 years since the last time I got to do that. Like you, my grandfather's getting up there (he'll be 90 next year), and I'm not sure how many more hunts he's got left in him. So I decided this year I'm spending the outrageous amount of money to get my out of state PA hunting license and next month I'll be out in the woods with him for opening day of buck season.

Enjoy your hunt! It's little things like that that we take for granted and we end up missing the most.

That's great! Glad to see others that enjoy hunting with their fathers and grandfathers. And god bless him still hunting at almost 90 yo.

Agreed, it's definitely something I took for granted over the last few years - regretting that I waited this long.

Great story. Glad your dad and grand-dad are still in good health.
My grandfather was a hunter and an author and he taught me how to use guns safely and shoot when I was about 6 years old.
An experience I'll never forget.
Good luck on your trip.

Thanks. My dad had me shooting 22's and a 410 shotgun at around 4 or 5 years old. Glad he taught me young.

That '54 Savage is an engineering marvel.
Glad 'yall had fun!

It's been a great rifle for him over the years. The stock is worn and could use a fresh coat of oil/stain but aside from that it's in great shape. My father has the same exact rifle and they're both using a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. My grandfather's best friend also has the same rifle but chambered in 308.

Back
Top Bottom