Range day with my grandfather

Way cool. I hunted with my dad, but neither grandfather ever hunted to my knowledge. I can tell from the low power scope your grandfather had that he is a smart man. Most shots around here aren't far & and I always shot at lowest power all the time because you can't pick up your target quick enough on high magnification! Cherish the time together with dad & grandpa - times you will always remember in your heart. My dad is 80 now and doesn't hunt anymore. I stopped 15 yrs ago. LOL.

Way cool. I hunted with my dad, but neither grandfather ever hunted to my knowledge. I can tell from the low power scope your grandfather had that he is a smart man. Most shots around here aren't far & and I always shot at lowest power all the time because you can't pick up your target quick enough on high magnification! Cherish the time together with dad & grandpa - times you will always remember in your heart. My dad is 80 now and doesn't hunt anymore. I stopped 15 yrs ago. LOL.

Thanks. Yeah he told me most of his shots have been around 30ish yards with a couple 50 and 90 yard shots over the years. The deer my dad shot last year was only 10 yards in front of him and was facing my dad and he shot him right in the chest and the deer flipped backwards. He said it was one of the closest and craziest shots he's ever had.

I'm really looking forward to it next week. My dad set up game cameras and has already seen some good size bucks this past weekend - 6 and 8 pointers. Granted these were at 2-4am when we can't hunt lol. But at least we're seeing something....

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah he told me most of his shots have been around 30ish yards with a couple 50 and 90 yard shots over the years. The deer my dad shot last year was only 10 yards in front of him and was facing my dad and he shot him right in the chest and the deer flipped backwards. He said it was one of the closest and craziest shots he's ever had.

I'm really looking forward to it next week. My dad set up game cameras and has already seen some good size bucks this past weekend - 6 and 8 pointers. Granted these were at 2-4am when we can't hunt lol. But at least we're seeing something....

The last one I shot was literally 10 feet away. I fell asleep in the stand because it was the asscrack of dawn and I hadn't had enough coffee. Woke up the sucker was standing right there in front of me, perfect broadside front shoulder shot. He ran about 20 feet and collapsed because my shot had eviscerated his heart.

You do realize that if the deer aren't moving , the youngest guy has to drive for the old timers right?
Don't worry, the bullbrier slashes will heal. [smile]

You do realize that if the deer aren't moving , the youngest guy has to drive for the old timers right?
Don't worry, the bullbrier slashes will heal. [smile]

Lol. He told me how they use to drive deer years ago. But I don't think we'll be doing that next week. We'll see.

Inspired by this thread and another eerily similar one on /k/ at more or less the same time, brought my uncle visiting from AZ to the club today.

He's in his 70's but in poor health, at least 2 heart attacks, diabetes, etc. Doesnt normally travel but came out to MA for my sisters kids baptism. Hung out here and there over the course of the week and he's flying home tomorrow night. When I was leaving the other night we shook hands and he said something like "well headednorth, this is probably the last time Im going to see you". I assumed he had meant the last time before he goes home, but thinking about it later, between his age and health, and the fact that he typically doesnt come out this way any more and I hate flying so I dont go out there, I think he meant the last time he was going to see me...ever. Kind of bummed me out.

Soo...called him up and invited him to shoot today. He had a blast. Gave him the tour, he was chatting with other guys there, shot a bunch of 9mm, 357, and some 45 colt including exactly 1 round of 300 grain lead flat nose over ~22 grains of H110, which he laughed and said it was too much for him, lol.

Out in AZ he typically shoots out in the desert with my cousins when their schedules all jive, but it sounds like theyre into mag dumps while working on a case of Bud Light, so he says he can never really relax due to him having to act like an RO and doesnt fully enjoy himself. He liked how guys at the club were all safe and sane (and sober, lol) and said it was the first time he got to really enjoy shooting in a long time. Loved the GP100 and shot the G19 a lot although he had trouble with it due to the stiff recoil spring making it hard for him to manipulate the slide and it was tough for him to load the mag all the way. The last round or two are a bitch to get in even for me. Gave him the maglula(?) and made it easier but still had to get the hang of it. He was grinning the whole day.

Anyway, glad I spent the day with him. Never know how long any of us will be around for so we cant take it for granted that we or they will still be around for "next time" or "some day". Enjoy your people while you can.

Sorry for the long post and hope I didnt hijack the thread too much Andrew. Thought of posting a new thread but felt it fit in here. Hope thats ok.

240400-1306010K3558.jpg

Forgot I had this thread but it was nice to stumble on it again and see the photos of him.

He (Arthur aka Artie) a Korean war vet, passed away at the ripe old age of 90 in July. The prostate cancer had spread throughout his body and finally took him from us. We were able to have a massive drive-by birthday party for him on his bday in June. Whole city of Gloucester (including the mayor who gave him a proclamation) stopping by with signs/balloons beeping etc. Brought tears to his eyes but I'm so grateful he was able to have one last celebration before he passed.

Also grateful I started hunting with him when I did. 2017 was the last year he was able to go into the woods to deer hunt - and my first time deer hunting. In 2018 he hung out in the camp while we hunted. And in 2019 it was the first time he couldn't make it up there at all.

I've inherited his Savage 99 in 300 Savage and his old Marlin 30-30 that I plan to reload for soon.

A little late on the update but forgot I had this thread about him. RIP.

Andrew, you're very fortunate to have these memories and photos. I'm very sorry to learn that your grandfather passed though. [sad][sad][sad]
Sorry for your loss. Very cool that you got to keep some of his firearms which will always be a great reminder of a great man.
So sorry to hear about his passing @andrew1220 but happy you were able to get him out to the range with you and go hunting, etc. Good memories you'll have forever!
thanks guys. Definitely fortunate that I will have these memories and rifles to remind me of him.

Top Shelf Guy!
..Good shooter of billiards as well as rifles way back in the day. Miss having Friday drinks w/ him & Herbie @ Cruiseport

Sorry to hear of you Grandfathers passing. Traditions like these being passed from generation to generation are worth more than most anything this world has to offer.

God bless

Glad you resurrected this thread. I joined after your original posting, so I had missed it. Sorry about your grand dad’s passing, but it is a wonderful story about how the shooting sports can help bring (and keep) generations together.

Top Shelf Guy!
..Good shooter of billiards as well as rifles way back in the day. Miss having Friday drinks w/ him & Herbie @ Cruiseport
He sure was! I wish I was around during the pool hall days. He had so many stories from the pool hall.

So sorry to hear about his passing @andrew1220 but happy you were able to get him out to the range with you and go hunting, etc. Good memories you'll have forever!
A good reminder. Everyone should take their Dad, Gramp, uncle, aunt, neighbor, son, daughter, wife out shooting. It builds character, skills, and memories!

Well I finally got my grandfather back to the range with me today. Been probably 7-8 years or so. Anyway, he had to confirm his deer rifle was zeroed. He's got a Savage model 99 in .300 Savage that he bought it in 1954 and has taken over 50 deer with it over the years...

I've never been deer hunting before while my dad and grandfather have been going for 50-60 years in Maine. But over the last few years my grandfather has mentioned he'd like for me to join them. He's 87 years old and I need to go while he's still with us.

I never had much interest in deer hunting but think it should fun to be with my dad and grandfather. Took a whole week off of work next week to allow me to go with them.

Anyway, I made sure to bring my Winchester M1 Carbine, Remington 1903A3, and my Swiss K31 (will be using for deer) for my grandfather to try out. Didn't have the room to bring the M1 Garand unfortunately :-(

My grandfather LOVED the reduced 30-06 rounds that I loaded with 14 gr of Trailboss powder. Barely any recoil. He was in disbelief that he was actually shooting 30-06. He said he wished his 300 savage hunting ammo had recoil like that lol.

He also shot the M1 Carbine where he struggled with the sights being he needs glasses to read and has mangled fingers from arthritis lol. He did much better with the 1903A3.

He's very familiar with shooting rifles as he was on the rifle team in high school before serving in the army during the Korean War.

All in all it was a great day shooting with my grandfather. Looking forward to deer hunting next week.

This is him ready to fire his Model 99
511bef82780627ad19f75bc59396e2c6.png

757a75a288767cfac4a54a6494b60674.png

Shooting the 1903A3:
77f00d45fecd04c307318a78cda2a2cf.png

Shooting the M1 Carbine:
21ca3e4c4230877c79446a5c66c4b361.png

37ff31cd1fc8bb9071f688b1688cfb1e.jpg

7555cb11ed00068c63e0398aedfd2801.png
You are lucky To have them now and you are making a good choice to go one at least one hunt while you have them. Good move !

Andrew, this is great!

It's good you are finally getting out with them, don't worry about the past just try to enjoy the time you have now with both of them. Being the first generation born in this country I didn't have a tradition of hunting or even firearms in my family so my brother and I basically taught ourselves to shoot and hunt. I wish I had an old timer I could have gone with and learned from when I was younger!

andrew1220 and headednorth thanks for reminding us of how important it is to regularly make the effort to share those moments with loved ones. It certainly puts everything else in perspective! I speak from experience in saying that once they are gone, you feel that there was so much more you wanted to do, ask and share! Thanks.

Damn, never seen this thread before.. Then I seen the date it was posted and had a feeling what was up.

Sorry for your loss dude, that looked like a cool range day.
Thanks Greg. Yeah it was a fun time for sure. I hope I can shoot guns until my late 80s😂

Back
Top Bottom