• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range bag recommendations?

ware

NES Member
Looking for a new range bag to hold 3 pistols and the usual stuff. Lynx Defense and 5.11 look like they have good solutions. Anyone have any recommendations? What are you using?

I beat the crap out of a couple of Sig bags. They are still alive minus a zipper that was blown out from using that bag as a barrel rest. I still use them.
The 5.11 was a nice addition but was much too large. Heavy as hell because I packed it full of shit. It was still a quality product that I’m still happy with.

I use a big husky tool bag from home depot. It has internal pockets and such, can fit a short barreled or disassembled AR, pistols, mags etc., even a shooting mat, AND it looks inconspicuous. I have had it several years and it has held up well.
This is the way….

I bought this a couple of years back and still use it today; the tool slots have a bungie over them and hold mags perfectly and there is plenty of room for ammo, ear muffs and pistols in soft cases

Husky 18 in. 41 Pocket Heavy Duty Large Mouth Tool Bag with Tool Wall 67127-02 - The Home Depot

I picked this one up when it popped up on sale in the Deals and Steals thread...I've been pretty happy with it.

Amazon product ASIN B01BDW1VHEView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDW1VHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Just like almmost everything SW makes today, that bag is sh*t.

First- it says "M&P" on the side - I hope they pay you to advertise their junk.

But here is the worst part ... clearly it does not have a lot of space and those guns will get f*cked every time you bump into something.

The bag might be nice, I dont know. But their choice of marketing pic is terrible.

SmartSelect_20220821-170502_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is the way….

I bought this a couple of years back and still use it today; the tool slots have a bungie over them and hold mags perfectly and there is plenty of room for ammo, ear muffs and pistols in soft cases

Husky 18 in. 41 Pocket Heavy Duty Large Mouth Tool Bag with Tool Wall 67127-02 - The Home Depot

This is the one I have. I also have a smaller version I use for tools and sometimes range use if I'm just taking pistols. They were especially great when I lived in an apartment.

Husky 24 in. 16 Pocket Zippered Tool Bag HD60024-TH - The Home Depot

I bought the Craftsman Tradestack system from Lowes. I use their large bag for a range bag. The hard cases I put most of my gun stuff in them. At least stuff I'm using on a regular basis. The bag "clips" on top of the cases and when I put it in my truck it looks like a regular large tool bag. I even have a tape measure on the clip for it. It's easy to lock the boxes with any guns inside. Before I go to the range I decide what I'm going to shoot and go through the cases to see what I'll need.

I kind of did it backwards, I picked up a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack Manpurse to use as a small(range finders w/Domke insert) camera bag before I got into guns. Now I use it as a range bag and a camera bag.

Seems they're changing things up over at Maxpedition, some decently discounted sale items and other items are BOGO.

She looks cold.
January 21st 5 degrees with 10mph winds. She's tough, she can take it. She's Eastern European.
$2.00 an hour won't get you much these days.
Makes one hell of a Goulash too... but I have one cat missing... 🤔

1661127059316.png

She was pissed I gave her a hundred of these to post on her own time.

I’ve had this one for ten years- still going strong. Only drawback is that it’s made in China.
The bag is strong.

My reason to replace it is because it gets old to carry it around walking from stage to stage.

If I was using it only for ranfe time I wouldn't replace it.

But for range time I prefer to use big tool boxes. Some rifles and handguns have its own tool box with everything I need.

Just like almmost everything SW makes today, that bag is sh*t.

First- it says "M&P" on the side - I hope they pay you to advertise their junk.

But here is the worst part ... clearly it does not have a lot of space and those guns will get f*cked every time you bump into something.

The bag might be nice, I dont know. But their choice of marketing pic is terrible.

View attachment 652926
Agreed on their choice of marketing pic, that looks much smaller and more cramped than the bag I have...

I shoot basically out of my truck, so I don't have to go far, however I have a Savior rifle backpack - which is really sweet, holds 2 rifles plus a shit-ton of mags (or other stuff), and being able to carry 2x rifles on my back is a lot easier than gun cases - even just the trip out to my truck. Originally I bought it on Amazon, kinda on a whim, because I wanted something that would hold a rifle without looking exactly like a gun case, ie BLM craziness - I wanted a discreet way to pack a carbine if need be. It turned out to be of really great quality and is my go-to case for standard carbine stuff.

If I was going to be toting pistols into a range regularly I'd be looking into a similar pistol backpack - nothing like having your hands free for a coffee or whatever on the way into the range. They make these too (as well as a lot of other things like guitar style rifle cases etc.. etc..). If you look directly under rifle cases they show the rifle backpacks, may also be more pistol backpacks under pistol cases.

Just remember to right-size your bag for your use. As the bag gets larger, it can get exponentially heavier.

set snark-mode = on
I have an excessively heavy bag .. divorced her several years ago, haven't looked back.
That bag was, and continues to be expensive, but the freedom has been worth every penny.
snark-mode = off

Back
Top Bottom