Randolph, Ma any residents???

Im looking at buying my first home. Randolph has many in my price range and is not too far from home. How is it their. Ive seen some is a lil ghetto and some is nice and rural. I remember my firearms instructor was the licensing officer there. Any ideas on what its like as far as gun laws, Crime rate and community aspects thanks.

I've also been looking in Randolph. I have no first hand experience from living there, but from the research I've done, it's a green town when it comes to LTC-A ALP. Crime rates depend on the area you are looking in, ranging anywhere from 9 to 97% of the national average. Community aspects will depend entirely on the neighborhood you move into, but the majority of the area seems to be working class commuters (there are T and bus stops throughout the town for Boston or Brockton commuters).

I would look elsewhere. Do your homework and I think you will come to the same conclusion. If I were you I would consider a smaller home or one that needs repair in a nicer community before Randolph. I'm not sure how prices are in Avon or Holbrook but it might be worth looking at them.

Im looking at buying my first home. Randolph has many in my price range and is not too far from home. How is it their. Ive seen some is a lil ghetto and some is nice and rural. I remember my firearms instructor was the licensing officer there. Any ideas on what its like as far as gun laws, Crime rate and community aspects thanks.

Why not talk with Ed? He and I were just discussing the town yesterday. I grew up there and there is no way that I'd ever consider moving back. There are lots of good people still there, but sadly there is an element that makes the square not a place I'd like to be after dark.

I went to school with the current Police Chief. I remember Paul not a very long time ago with a head full of brown hair, now it is all snow white! There was a full 2 page article on the troubles of the town (mostly financial) due to mismanagement at the top in the Patriot Ledger a year or two ago.

its not the place it was 10 yrs ago...

Amen.

I would look elsewhere.........

Absolutely!

Randolph and Brockton are connected by an long line of baggy pants and hats worn backwards.

Sadly too true.

I moved out of Randolph 18 years ago and back then it was a nice Jewish town. Now, I would not move back there even if someone had offered me a free house.

I've bought, fixed , and flipped in Randolph. Look elsewhere. If it is your first house i would recommend buying a multi family in a different town, rent out a couple of floors, live on one....it's a good way to build wealth.

I lived in "Tyrone Gardens" a few years back. think about 3-4 shootings in my neighborhood during my 1 year there. Had to call the police a few times because of fights in the parking lot. I didn't feel very safe there. It feels like Mattapan Jr.

I live in Randolph and have lived here for the past 25 years. Is it the same town as it was then no its not. Is it as bad as it was 5 years ago no, but I wont send my kids to there public schools either. The town is very diverse and you can clearly see the divide. My neighborhood has no issues but move closer to the low income developments or bus stops and there are issues. I wouldn't completely write off the town. Plus its close to BRP and Holbrook sportsman.

I live in Randolph now. It is not a "ghetto" and I take exception to those who say that. A ghetto has run down/falling down buildings, etc. That is not quite the case. The town is still physically nice.

I'm not trying to be unkind, but that's not really what "ghetto" means.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ghetto

1 : a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2 : a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

I'm not saying Randolph is or isn't, I don't ever recall going there or even seeing a picture of the place, but ghetto's can be physically nice.

Randolph is NOT green as far as issuing Class A unrestricted, at least not anymore. I have a friend who recently requested ALP and it seems will not get it. He's not going to press the issue though, he was also strongly encouraged/borderline required to join a club to get T&H. I know that goes against a MA supreme court decision in which I believe Randolph was the defendant in.

I've read here on NES about Quincy District Court striking down range/club membership as a requirement for having a license (mentioned in this thread, but elsewhere too). I did a quick search at www.masscases.com and didn't find anything regarding Randolph, but I didn't look too hard, so it could be there and I just didn't find it [laugh].

Braintree, Holbrook, Weymouth, and Quincy are all 'nicer' towns (to different degrees), in the same general vicinity, and the real estate markets aren't that different.

I think the fact that the neighborhood is going down hill has a direct effect on it going from a green to a red town. If you look at the list of red towns, they are mostly towns that are slowly going (or are already) down the crapper. Boston, Somerville, Medford, Lowell, Lawrence, Brockton, Chelsea, Methuen, Milton, Springfield, and Worcester are prime examples...

If I had a choice I would look somewhere else I havent lived there but have done a lot of work in the town and wouldnt live there a lot of punk wannabe Bad A$$ kids. No respect for other people or property

Wipe Randolph completely off your list of places to look for a house. The place is an armpit of a community. I lived there almost 30 years ago near the Donovan School and it was not too bad there back then, but now drugs,punks,shootings and murders are constantly splashed across the pages of the Patriot Leger.

If you want good value try Braintree. The homes there hold good value and taxes are very reasonable. You have the mall and you're close to most major x-ways. I'm not sure about pistol permits though. If I'm not mistaken I think they kind of give you the run around and it's fairly tough to get class-a ALP, but you're close to BRP club and 5-10 minutes away from Holbrook club.
Good luck

The houses are cheap for reason. True there are some parts that are not as as others, but there is only one high school that your kids would have to share with all the illegals kids.

I have hung around in Randolph for a long time...The detection function of the RPD is very good. They are light years ahead of some of the other local departments in my opinion. This should tell you something. I remember when a Shaws had loads of kosher food. The other poster does not know what a Ghetto is. It is somewhat of a "in" joke with the old crowd of Randolph.

250k is still high for a house with 5000 sq ft of land. There are better buys in other towns. At least you are close to Holbrook, which is a much better club. Many of the other local clubs do not have a full-fledged indoor range in which you can shoot 22 to 44 magnum. Several clubs do not have any indoor ranges. Two only have limited indoor ranges.

There are some older houses for sale on Rt 37 in Holbrook. Take a look.

Need more info. Do you have kids? Do you plan on staying for an extended period of time? How far away do you work?

Like many towns, Randolph has had it's fair share of issues. The public schools are not as tough as Brockton but not as good as some of the surrounding towns.

If you are a single guy looking to flip it in a couple of years it may not be a bad investment if you can get a real good deal.

The "Linwood" still has awesome pizza

Last edited:
Might I suggest not buying a house in Mass. in the first place? The state is collapsing financially.

The "Linwood" still has awesome pizza

Don't forget the time the Linwood was robbed by something like 3 guys with shotguns in the middle of dinner - a customer got a gun away from one of the bad guys, and not knowing what to do with it, promptly gave it right back to him!

Don't forget the time the Linwood was robbed by something like 3 guys with shotguns in the middle of dinner - a customer got a gun away from one of the bad guys, and not knowing what to do with it, promptly gave it right back to him!

I had not heard that. Thanks for the heads up

Maybe I'm missing something in my research, but comparing crime rates and the such between the neighborhoods in Randolph where I've been looking, and the area of Taunton I currently live in (and considder very safe), shows that my area of Taunton has more than twice the personal and property crime rates than the areas of Randolph I've been looking at. Schools aren't something I'm worrying about yet, since I'm at the very least 6 years away from having a school aged child, and will probably send them to a private school if that's at all feasible. It also decreases my daily commute from 30 miles to 5 miles or so.

From everything I've seen, Randolph has been on the rebound in the past 3 years. Can someone cite some actual examples of their problems with the town?

Back
Top Bottom