• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida Reciprocity for MA Residents

Hey gang – haven’t posted in a while, hope you don’t mind a quick question; I’m traveling to Florida tomorrow and would like to bring my handgun. Am I ok as a licensed MA CCW?

Doing my research, I see that FL is a reciprocal state with MA, and that as of July of this year, FL does not require a permit for residents. FL Statute 790.015 also says basically ‘a nonresident may concealed carry in Florida, provided he/she has in his immediate position a license to carry in his/her state of residence.’

Is anyone here familiar with FL requirements or has been to FL while carrying since July of this year? Seems like all I need to do is put it (unloaded) in a locked case in my checked baggage and declare it when I check in…

Anything else I need to know? Anything I’m missing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses!

I should’ve clarified; the USCCA Reciprocity map shows Florida as yellow, which means concealed carry is allowed there, but maybe not because of reciprocity with MA.

@bigblue So is FL statute 790.015 applicable? This is what I read… seems pretty straightforward;

Fla. Stat. § 790.015

Current through Chapter 352 of the 2023 Legislative Session
Section 790.015 - Nonresidents; reciprocity
(1) A nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm, as that term is defined in s. 790.06(1), while in this state if the nonresident is a resident of the United States who is 21 years of age or older and he or she:

(a) Satisfies the criteria for receiving and maintaining a license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm under s. 790.06(2)(a) -(f) and (i)-(n), (3), and (10); or

(b)
Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence

FL is constitutional carry as on 7/1/23

Just remember no guns in bar rooms, restaurants are OK, restaurant sections of places that also have a bar are OK, bar rooms are a no no

Hey gang – haven’t posted in a while, hope you don’t mind a quick question; I’m traveling to Florida tomorrow and would like to bring my handgun. Am I ok as a licensed MA CCW?

Doing my research, I see that FL is a reciprocal state with MA, and that as of July of this year, FL does not require a permit for residents. FL Statute 790.015 also says basically ‘a nonresident may concealed carry in Florida, provided he/she has in his immediate position a license to carry in his/her state of residence.’

Is anyone here familiar with FL requirements or has been to FL while carrying since July of this year? Seems like all I need to do is put it (unloaded) in a locked case in my checked baggage and declare it when I check in…

Anything else I need to know? Anything I’m missing?
MA has reciprocity with zero states. Zero. Reciprocity implies bidirectional agreement. MA does not and likely never will do this.

That said there are a whole shitload of states that you could carry in legally because they either honor shity license or they are constitutional carry. If FL is con carry any non felon is good to go, even without a stupid plastic card.

MA has reciprocity with zero states. Zero. Reciprocity implies bidirectional agreement. MA does not and likely never will do this.

That said there are a whole shitload of states that you could carry in legally because they either honor shity license or they are constitutional carry. If FL is con carry any non felon is good to go, even without a stupid plastic card.
But what about the ladie or guy from NH that got pinched on the north shore recien. The DA didn’t press charges ?

But what about the ladie or guy from NH that got pinched on the north shore recien. The DA didn’t press charges ?
Without digging into the dirt that doesn't really mean anything. The state f***s up prosecutions all the time and drops charges because of that alone. A lot of times you will see very shaky arrests, then the next thing you know most of the charges got dropped often because the cops screwed something up along the way... there's a whole variety of process that if it's not followed correctly it can jeopardize an arrest or indictment or whatever. There's also the possibility that they were pulling a Krispy Kreme where they didn't want a case that involved a sympathetic plaintiff that would make for a great 2A case..... (krispy let that black lady from PA off the hook because prosecuting her would have been a bad idea for antis. ) also sometimes prosecutors cut backroom deals with the other person's attorney to expedite the whole thing and just make it go away if it's going to make them look bad. The stories that some attorneys have told me you probably wouldn't believe....

Massachusetts does not offer reciprocity to any state.

As of July 1, 2023, the state of Florida accepts any other state LTC, even when that state refuses to offer reciprocity.
Exactly!!

Reciprocity means one accepts the other and vice versa.

One of my near future goals is to contact Kentucky legislators and get Kentucky (a constitutional carry state) to specifically refuse to recognize out of state licenses to carry from states that DO NOT RECIPROCATE. Massachusetts is top of that example list.

Seems like all I need to do is put it (unloaded) in a locked case in my checked baggage and declare it when I check in…

Generally yes, read the rules for both the airline you are flying and the TSA rules, follow them, and print them out to take with you. Just in case the employee behind the counter doesn’t know them.

Also, you have to put the declaration on top of the lockbox so don’t pack your suitcase so tight that stuff falls out all over the counter when you do that.

Exactly!!

One of my near future goals is to contact Kentucky legislators and get Kentucky (a constitutional carry state) to specifically refuse to recognize out of state licenses to carry from states that DO NOT RECIPROCATE. Massachusetts is top of that example list.
Why?

Hey Florida Man, the dude wants to make sure he doesn't commit a felony, can't fault him for that.
I agree. Gun laws are confusing AF, can't blame the guy.

I feel bad he is researching this the night before. But at least he is trying and his post shows he did some searching, which is more than most of NES does when they start a thread.

Exactly!!

What’s the point of that? Trying to “stick it” to MA lawmakers? They would thank you for your efforts…furthers their goal of restricting the peasants.

OP, if you are smart, you will make an appointment to get your Florida LTC. Takes 15minutes and most counties/ offices have appointments available every day.

Broc, the only current reason to get an LTC in FL is to avoid the waiting period when purchasing, which the OP can’t do since they don’t have a residence here.

Yes. Just Google Florida non resident LTC.
But looks like it is pointless now.

It’s worth it IMO. If they change the laws, you’re already in the system. And yes, it takes less than 15 minutes. I did mine in Orlando. It’s right at the entrance to Universal Studios.

Reciprocity is good for like 30 states if that matters

Does it though, how many of those states also have constitutional carry?

Looks like most of that 30 requires you to be a Florida resident or already has con carry themselves.

Without digging into the dirt that doesn't really mean anything. The state f***s up prosecutions all the time and drops charges because of that alone. A lot of times you will see very shaky arrests, then the next thing you know most of the charges got dropped often because the cops screwed something up along the way... there's a whole variety of process that if it's not followed correctly it can jeopardize an arrest or indictment or whatever. There's also the possibility that they were pulling a Krispy Kreme where they didn't want a case that involved a sympathetic plaintiff that would make for a great 2A case..... (krispy let that black lady from PA off the hook because prosecuting her would have been a bad idea for antis. ) also sometimes prosecutors cut backroom deals with the other person's attorney to expedite the whole thing and just make it go away if it's going to make them look bad. The stories that some attorneys have told me you probably wouldn't believe....
I thought the reference was to the NH guy that won in the Lowell court. Not that that means anything. Also, the current House bill will permit reciprocity if the other state’s licensing scheme is as strict as MA’s. Again, not that that means anything.

Does it though, how many of those states also have constitutional carry?

Looks like most of that 30 requires you to be a Florida resident or already has con carry themselves.

I'm not about to research since it doesn't matter to me. But it was a selling point for non res ltc to a couple people I knew.
Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom